• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Tiamat's related fiends

Valus

First Post
I think it's mentioned briefly in the 5th edition Monster Manual and possibly DMG. I know Zariel is mentioned in the paragraph on fallen angels in the Angel entry of the MM. There's not a lot of information out there on the most recent switch.

Leo_ASF

First Post
I think it's mentioned briefly in the 5th edition Monster Manual and possibly DMG. I know Zariel is mentioned in the paragraph on fallen angels in the Angel entry of the MM. There's not a lot of information out there on the most recent switch.
Ok I'll read that up

Leo_ASF

First Post
I seem to recall Mammon being antagonistic to Tiamat (competition over the souls of the greedy) if you wanted to go foe. I think Dispater was her ally in Scales of War (in 4e, so I am not sure if that carried over).

I doubt Mephistopheles is her ally, but if her leaving was a blow to Asmodeus, he might be willing to provide a little indirect support with some plausible deniability via a warlock (I just traded power for a soul, how did I know he/she would help Tiamat?)
Mephistoteles looks like a good option...

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Any of the great Archdevils would make a suitable patron. Tiamat leaving Avernus will rock the boat, big-time (as in The Posideon Adventure) and they all want information about how the mortals are reacting.
A Warlock - especially one who is a part of a leading band of mortals - would be best-placed to gain that information and transmit it on. The warlock in question might become expendable, if somebody is somehow forced to declare Himself. An Imp as his familiar might be a better spy, come to think of it. As the PCs head for the climactic confrontation, the Warlock's Patron - who usually communicates via proxies and messengers - might show up in person with a Top Secret and Highest Priority message / instructions. (Threaten to take back all the mortal's borrowed power if he balks).

You can play up the devils in Varram's bodyguard. Use the Devilish Interview scenario. And find 3e Monsters of Faerun to get 5 dragon-devils who serve Tiamat. Anything you can locate about Tiamat in Unther (3e) would be another source of inspiration. Champions of Ruin and Lords of Darkness might have useful lore / notes.

P.S. If another PC takes the 'gold dragon' background, you can also have Bahamut start to get into the act. He should offer to send reinforcements, not show up to fight personally.
And be sure to complement the PC in Bahamut's voice for finding a Quest worthy to redeem himself. Encourage him to see it through.

Jaelommiss

First Post
Where can I find this updated history?? I found some from past versions at some wikis...

Rise of Tiamat, page 10. Look for the heading "Hosts of the Nine Hells". You can also read the section under "Devilish Demands" on page 7 for how to implement it into your game.

Bel and Zariel's situations with Tiamat is rather fun.

Bel has always been a fairly close all of Tiamat. And they more or less support each other in many situations. Zariel and Tiamat don't like each other at all, with Zariel being afraid of Tiamat and her power.

The interesting part about Tyranny of Dragons is that Zariel is aiding Tiamat in her plan, while Bel is opposing it. Zariel is supporting Tiamat in her plan because she wants Tiamat to leave the Nine Hells which will remove a large obstacle to her unopposed rule of the layer. Bel wants to ruin Tiamat's plan in order to keep her in the Hells so he can continue to benefit from their alliance and keep Zariel spooked.

Some more details about Bel and Zariel can be found in the DMG and the 3.5 book Fiendish Codex II.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Tiamat has had a very close relationship with the Dark 8 (who effectively act as Asmodeus's proxies in the Blood War), up to and including having a child (Mordukhavar the Reaver) with Cantrum the deceased (supposedly) founder of the Dark 8. The abishai are effectively on permanent loan to Tiamat by the grace of the 9 Hells for her service of guarding the passage between Avernus and Dis. 5e (as a result of 4e) may have screwed majorly with the continuity of course.

delericho

Legend
I don't know much about tiamat's relationships... Any suggestions??

Well, if you don't mind doing a bit of work...

The 3e "Dragon Compendium" (and Dragon magazine before it) introduced three new types of Chromatic dragon: Yellow, Orange, and Purple (I think), and also the suggestion of a three-headed queen for those three - a sister to Tiamat who she supposedly killed.

Of course, if said sister wasn't actually dead, she might very well seek to interfere in Tiamat's plan - and might also be weak enough that her only means is via a mortal agent...

Remove ads