Time to Hang It Up? (Gaming Group Struggles Pt 2)

pogre

Legend
I'm feeling a little bummed. All the work I put into the campaign has been for nothing. The 3D battlescape I created as an awesome fight centerpiece was used by two players. The big plot twist centered on a character whose player couldn't be troubled to show up or even give a common courtesy message.

I think it's safe to say I should fold this group? Maybe I'll take a break and work on other hobbies?

Man, that is super discouraging. I would definitely fold that group and take a break. Putting in the time for a campaign and then having players ghost can make you want to give up the hobby entirely.

When you are ready - just know, there are people that will make your game a priority and have the civility to let you know when they cannot make it. Hang in there!

S'mon

Legend
I've had campaigns that ended up like this BTW. I had one 4e game which ended up with only 1 regular player plus a single-session drop-in at the final battle against the Dark Lord, and yes they got TPK'd. Still the player shook my hand and congratulated me on the campaign, and the disastrous outcome was a great setup for another campaign 2 years down the line!

Agreed. Getting a group together of people that actually show up to game (and aren't toxic) is so worth it. I get that life comes up, but if a person routinely misses sessions, isn't willing or able to respect the time and effort a DM puts into the game, then maybe the gaming group isn't for them.

It's easy to get discouraged when people no-show on what they know to be an important session. I've been there, and eventually had to boot over half my group. The new gaming group is more dedicated (and more positive to have at the table) than any of the removed players ever were. It pains me to say that, as they are my friends; gaming together just wasn't working and it was time to call it. Anyway, the hobby is in a great place and it's easier than ever to recruit players.

Start a new game with the people who normally turn up. But do take a break.

jsaving

Adventurer
The main thing to do is find out from your player base why, upon hearing that the next session would resolve six months of storyline they ostensibly cared a great deal about, they responded with radio silence.

Perhaps your players simply became too busy to game any longer. Perhaps they lost interest in the hobby entirely or naturally moved on to other pursuits. Or perhaps the dates/times you normally pick are no longer convenient for group members. Each of those cases would say your basic approach is fine and could work more or less as-is in the future with some logistical adjustments or rearrangement of players.

However in my experience there are some other reasons that might point toward a more fundamental reassessment. Sometimes DMs become more enamored with their campaigns than the player base, mistakenly believing their plotlines to be GoT-style epics when in fact there are inadequacies readily perceptible to the player base but unseen by the DM. Other times, especially when there are family ties between the DM and certain members of the group, a perception takes hold (rightly or wrongly) that those members are advantaged during the gaming session with other members being correspondingly disadvantaged. Either way disaffected players will often respond with radio silence rather than "checking in" and risking a dialogue about unspoken truths that in their minds would hurt feelings without producing meaningful change.

What I'd suggest is first ending the campaign and then non-confrontationally asking your players for feedback on what they liked and disliked about the sessions they attended. You might even volunteer the sentiment that the campaign seems to have ended with a whimper rather than a bang and you're looking to avoid that in any future campaign you might run. Then, and most importantly, resist the temptation to rebut what you hear in that conversation, even if (especially if) you don't like what your players have to say. Instead thank them for their candor and ask for suggestions on what they would do differently if given the chance.

Hopefully you'll find out the breaking-apart of your group was due to nothing but bad circumstances. But if there are deeper issues, learning from them might make a big difference in your next campaign. Best wishes and good luck.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Maybe see if any of your crew are interested in DMing, with you as a player. If yes, then at least one of 'em will learn what's required from the other side of the screen even if the campaign falters after a while. :)

Reynard

Legend
My group just blew up too. It's kind of the second time in a short period, except that really it was my attempt to try again after a recent dissolution that just didn't take. One player in particular drove the collapse but by the time of that player's nasty message, I was close to done anyway. I pulled the plug and told the group the current configuration was not going to work out. It's too bad too because they are all my friends and a couple of them are a real joy to play with.

I'm taking a little break and then planning on running Avernus for a different group entirely. I've played with the new group a couple times but never GMed for them. The current GM needs a break after they finish Curse of Strahd.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
My group just blew up too. It's kind of the second time in a short period, except that really it was my attempt to try again after a recent dissolution that just didn't take. One player in particular drove the collapse but by the time of that player's nasty message, I was close to done anyway. I pulled the plug and told the group the current configuration was not going to work out. It's too bad too because they are all my friends and a couple of them are a real joy to play with.

I'm taking a little break and then planning on running Avernus for a different group entirely. I've played with the new group a couple times but never GMed for them. The current GM needs a break after they finish Curse of Strahd.

What did the "one player in particular" do to drive the collapse?

cmad1977

Hero
Fantasy Grounds has a much steeper learning curve in my experience than Roll20. I recommend the latter. FG does not seem very intuitive to me.

My experience is similar. FG has some very cool tools and features but the learning curve is higher than Roll20. I like both systems but use Roll20 myself because of the learning curve (for my players) and cost.

And we use Roll20 while we mostly live in L.A. it’s just easier for everyone to arrange a few hours in their own home. ‘Attendance’ is very high.

Remove ads