Time to Hang It Up? (Gaming Group Struggles Pt 2)

D

Deleted member 7015506

First of all, why did you run the session as planned anyways? If one guy is "officially" excused, then it would have been IMHo worthwhile to cancel the session for the arrival of the excused guy.
It also would be polite to at least wait a couple of days and then ask the ones without the "excuse" to respond to an e-mail or whatever you folks use for communication. You never know what happens in RL to prevent people from showing up.
So folding since your efforts went bazing? Not something I would recommend at this point. At least try to speak to those folks and get the info for the reason of their missing and talk things through if necessary. Information is everything nowadays.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
My fiancée (who lives with me) and one other player showed. One player cancelled due to child care issues (understandable). The other two players, I got no response from.

I'm feeling a little bummed. All the work I put into the campaign has been for nothing. The 3D battlescape I created as an awesome fight centerpiece was used by two players. The big plot twist centered on a character whose player couldn't be troubled to show up or even give a common courtesy message.

I think it's safe to say I should fold this group? Maybe I'll take a break and work on other hobbies?
I'm not picky about group size. If there's only one PC, at least you're not talking to yourself! If two players show, you can still have an awesome fight.

Yeah, it's unfortunate when the other players don't share your passion. Keep the ones having fun, ditch the ones who aren't.

I recommend playing Skyrim until your writing hand starts involuntarily scripting another adventure. At that point, you'd better put out an ad for more players.

Retreater

Legend
First of all, why did you run the session as planned anyways? If one guy is "officially" excused, then it would have been IMHo worthwhile to cancel the session for the arrival of the excused guy.
It also would be polite to at least wait a couple of days and then ask the ones without the "excuse" to respond to an e-mail or whatever you folks use for communication. You never know what happens in RL to prevent people from showing up.
So folding since your efforts went bazing? Not something I would recommend at this point. At least try to speak to those folks and get the info for the reason of their missing and talk things through if necessary. Information is everything nowadays.
The short answer is that I just don't see it getting better, and I'm ready to be done with it. Attendance has been getting worse and worse. I don't want to delay the inevitable.

Retreater

Legend
I'm not picky about group size. If there's only one PC, at least you're not talking to yourself! If two players show, you can still have an awesome fight.

Yeah, it's unfortunate when the other players don't share your passion. Keep the ones having fun, ditch the ones who aren't.

I recommend playing Skyrim until your writing hand starts involuntarily scripting another adventure. At that point, you'd better put out an ad for more players.
Well, I tried to balance it the best I could with two players. I gave them companions. Still was anti-climactic and ended in a TPK.

jasper

Rotten DM
The short answer is that I just don't see it getting better, and I'm ready to be done with it. Attendance has been getting worse and worse. I don't want to delay the inevitable.
Ok, if attendance is down and getting worse, fold the group but keep Taco Thursday. Aka sounds like they your friends but real life is getting in the way. Or the group needs a break. You can start doing one shots or short modules.

Larnievc

Hero
It's difficult because I want to be a good GM and give the players a great experience they can look forward to. But it's also demoralizing to have sessions like this one.
I do agree that I need a break to recharge, compile a new group, etc.
Like any relationship you should put in what is commensurate with what you get out of it. If you’re giving all the time people will only be able to take. 👍

Larnievc

Hero
I've looked into online games, specifically using Fantasy Grounds. I've GMed a sample session using the software, as well as playing in a handful of games as a player. It just seems so very complicated. I was spending hours planning a single combat.
My group uses google hang out. I draw on a hand held white board and hold it up to the camera 👍

There are definitely concessions to be made when playing online but it’s doable if you keep it simple.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I've looked into online games, specifically using Fantasy Grounds. I've GMed a sample session using the software, as well as playing in a handful of games as a player. It just seems so very complicated. I was spending hours planning a single combat.

Fantasy Grounds has a much steeper learning curve in my experience than Roll20. I recommend the latter. FG does not seem very intuitive to me.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith

Agreed - pull the plug. But I recommend asking for honest feedback from each individual to you (as opposed to in a group setting) as to the game, your content and presentation, the group dynamic, etc. so that you can consider that when putting together a new group. It could well be schedules not lining up, but I've found over the years people miraculously find the time for things they're excited about. To that end, it's worth knowing if there's anything over which you have control that you can change accordingly.

Remove ads