• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

To all the other "simulationists" out there...

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
Celebrim said:
Ahh... completely configurable rules, eh. And this is very different from having house rules...?

Yes. It's very different. I don't want to use house rules because I'd prefer to use something that's been tested.
GURPS rules, modular or not, have been tested.

Are you sure? Because if you really want realism, you are going to have to start looking for more than GURPS.

It's certainly more realistic than D&D. And so far, it hits the sweet spot pretty well.

How long has you campaign gone on? How much system mastery are your players evidencing? Granted, the 4e rules seem to have made it abit harder to get your block or parry up to the point that only criticals go through. But then again, this rule change is based on a house rule from early versions specifically to deal with this problem.

You do realize that deceptive attack started out as a house rule to deal with this very sort of problem? It became popularized and showed up (I think in GURPS Martial Arts) before becoming 'core' in the latest edition.

I'm not sure what your point is here. I'm using GURPS 4th edition. It works. How it came to work or how the rules came to be is irrelevant.

I never played 3rd edition. It could be total trash for all I know/care. It has no impact on how 4e functions today or whether or not 4e needs a lot of house rules. Because as far as I can tell, it doesn't. 4e seems to work just fine as is.

It sounds to me like you are telling me that I'm going to hate GURPS and need a lot of house rules in the future, and you aren't even talking about the same version of the rules that I am.

Last edited:

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
Fifth Element said:
Just to nitpick, assuming we're talking about 3.5, there's no such thing as refocusing initiative. You can't guarantee initiative advantage.

Helpless, as defined in the DMG, does not include simply being unaware of your opponant. You can only Coup de Grace a Helpless opponant. This opponant wasn't helpless.

Celebrim

Legend
DarkAngel1979 said:
In real life, knocking someone out is actually much harder than killing them. Or rather, knocking them out without the risk of killing them is almost impossible. Subdual or takedowns are easier.

Yes. Also, I don't know if they fixed this in 4e, but in earlier editions it was too easy for HT rolls to stack up from multiple sources. And also, GURPS has a human scale centricness which belies its claims of universalism. It doesn't have as much problem with 'human vs. house cat' as D&D does, but it does still have considerable problems.

As for GURPS, my experience is that it's a terrible system.

I wouldn't go nearly that far, though obviously I left it for d20 and would use d20 in preference for most concievable games I'd run.

Combat is overly complex for no good reason (i.e. the complexity does not provide any gameplay benefits, just nebulous ideas of 'simulationism').

I don't believe that this is true. GURPS combat is expressedly cinematic, in that every action is a literal action. You aren't getting an abstract result. You are getting a readily imaginable scene.

My problem with GURPS combat is that it is alternately at low levels too luck dependent to support storylines which feature regular combat, and at high levels too luck dependent to be satisfying as a tactical game. You either have to high of risk of dying regardless what you do, or the outcome isn't dependent on what you do.

That, and because of its bell curve system its highly sensitive to stacking modifiers and tends to be fairly all or nothing. No system I've played quite rewards power gaming like GURPS - with the possible exception of WoD.

If I go with a point buy system, it better be something in which the ability to min/max is curtailed a lot. Ex: WoD's system of freebies VS points that are dedicated to one particular category of character attributes is a good example of a less-crappy point buy system.

You think WoD curtails min-maxing??

c) It's a generic system. Jack of all trades, master of none. Pretty much any system is superior to GURPS in its own genre.

At low point buys, it's a very nice historical RP system. With some tweaking, I think it would be a decent hard Sci-Fi game as well. I might do it for post-apocalytic as well. One of the problems though is that most people who want 'gritty simulation' actually want 'noir' (I actually discovered this about myself), and hense want to be that 'lethal knife in the dark' rather than the bleeding sap at the end of the bar fight or random corpse on the battle field realism demands. GURPS can disappoint if you think you are getting realism, because you start out thinking you are gritty and then realize you are playing just another 'capes' game in disguise - especially when your players exhibit enough system mastery.

Most of the problems with the games at higher point buys can be handled by having players with simulationist tendencies rather than gamist ones.

But I do see what you mean, because GURPS drags all this extensive overhead into the game regardless of what you want to play.

And let's not forget, in 4e the sentinel woould not be a mook, "killing the sentinel" would be a level appropriate skill challenge where all the group must use their skills to roll enough successes to kill the sentinel. Why your rogue should have all the fun to be in the spotlight when the other players do nothing for a whole round or maybe even more. ;)

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
I think some of you are misunderstanding the reason I posted the scenerio in the OP.

A 5th level rogue, standing behind a 5th level fighter, cannot kill him in one blow.

In reality he could grab the fighter and cut his throat. He could drive his blade into the base of his skull. He could stab him through the heart. etc.

In D&D, even on a maxed out sneak attack with a critical hit, it is IMPOSSIBLE to bring down the fighter in one hit. It simply can not be done.

This is unrealistic and it can be frustrating to a player. Making it difficult is one thing. Making it IMPOSSIBLE is another.

another thing, if we go strictly by the rules there is a mistake in the OP scenario, when he attacked he had surprise, this mean one free attack and if he win initiative, as it is probable, a second (sneak) attack before the guard can ring the bell.

Ok, nitpicking over. For now. :)

Ashrem Bayle said:
I think some of you are misunderstanding the reason I posted the scenerio in the OP.
The confusion is understandable. In the OP you referred to the guard as a mook, a redshirt. Not a fighter of equal level to the rogue.

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
Fifth Element said:
The confusion is understandable. In the OP you referred to the guard as a mook, a redshirt. Not a fighter of equal level to the rogue.

He wasn't. In the OP he was a mook (from what I could tell anyway). I don't remember the levels exactly, but he was a few levels lower than the rogue.

In the post above, I'm pointing out that it's unrealistic that the rogue wouldn't be able to kill a fighter at equel level. A lower level fighter should be even easier.

Regardless, mook or not, he should have died.

In reality, the greatest swardsman in the world will die from a blade through the heart, even if a peasent girl is the one that puts it there. D&D cannot handle this.

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
Just Another User said:
another thing, if we go strictly by the rules there is a mistake in the OP scenario, when he attacked he had surprise, this mean one free attack and if he win initiative, as it is probable, a second (sneak) attack before the guard can ring the bell.

Ok, nitpicking over. For now. :)

As I pointed out in a previous post, he did not win initiative.

Azgulor

Adventurer
Ashrem Bayle said:
A while back, for kicks, I statted some D&D iconics in GURPS. For those interested, here's Regdar:

Awesome job!

Out of curiosity, how did you approach magic? One of the reasons I moved away from GURPS for fantasy was there were so many d20 variants and spell-creation systems that it seemed easier than tweaking GURPS Magic or GURPS Powers.

Also, would you mind posting your versions of the other iconics?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads