To Find a King (updated 06/26)

Mortepierre said:
To be fair, though, I have to give credit where credit is due. My toughest job here is to act as a translator. I am sure that, by now, it’s obvious English isn’t our group’s mother language.

Actually, as a testament to your and their? skills, no it is not! Indication if any only arises from your username. Look forward to future installments and the story proper.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

Mortepierre

First Post
Thank you for the kind words! :)

Here is part 3. Part 4 (the last, because it deals with the two remaining PC) should be posted by the end of this week. And, after that, it's onward to Chapter 1! :D

Prelude - part 3: The Flame Rekindled

Drachenhold - Duchy of Pellham
399 AC - Ringrise mine (Five Shires region)

Run! Don’t look back, run!

So, he ran.. for all the good it had done him till now.

Dark-grey walls were speeding past, illuminated only momentarily by the unwavering light of his lantern. They were shored up of course, same as the rest of the mine. In a way, he was almost glad he couldn’t take the time to examine the pit props. He doubted wood more than 4 centuries old had retained its resilience. The muffled rumbles he heard irregularly only served to reinforce that opinion.

Still, he had to give it to those who had dug the Second Depth; their galleries had held all these years. Heck! Apparently, they had even held despite the Cataclysm. Well, mostly. From time to time, he had had to change course due to a section that had collapsed but, all in all, this level was relatively clear of rubbles or major cave-in.

Almost as if miners were still maintaining it.

A thought came to him unbidden, sending shivers down his spine.

Ohmygodno!

He stopped and, slowly, backed up against a wall, his lantern in one hand and his pickaxe in the other.

What if it’s.. them?

His thoughts drifted back to the moment he first encountered them.

The pit boss of the Eleventh Depth had said he remembered seeing a pile of old rails gathering dust years ago during a routine inspection of the Second Depth. And here they were, unable to continue mining the new copper vein near the number 3 shaft because the quartermaster had failed to deliver new rails in time. So, two miners had been sent to locate the rails and, more importantly, to determine if they were still usable.

He hadn’t been too happy about the assignment - those abandoned levels were a bit spooky - but had obeyed anyway. The good thing with the Second Depth was that the air was cooler and didn’t stink of sweat. So, after a while, he actually began to enjoy the trip. They had managed to find easily enough the place where the rails had been. The only problem was that they weren’t there anymore...

Puzzled, they had followed tracks that led away from the access shaft. Perhaps other miners had simply moved them during another inspection?

And then, they had stumbled on them.

At first, they had mistaken them for normal miners. After all, from a distance, all halfling miners look alike. As they came closer, they began to notice differences. The skin of these workers was unnaturally pale. Some had limbs that showed signs of broken bones, but didn’t seem impeded by them. And the air in the gallery was inexplicably chiller than elsewhere on the same level.

Fosco, his companion, had told him to stay back while he checked them out. He had gone forward and hailed the unknown miners.

Apparently, they didn’t like to be disturbed while digging because they had ignored him until he grabbed the nearest one by the shoulder and turned him around forcibly.

The creature had faced Fosco then. Musadoc would remember to the end of his days the lidless pitch-black eyes, like holes, and the open mouth that was drooling dirt.

Fosco had seemed petrified by this vision of horror until the creature touched him with long, grimy, black-nailed fingers. He jerked and tried to run but collapsed on the ground, as if drained of vitality. With a well-aimed blow of its pickaxe, the creature pinned him to the floor like a bug to a wooden plate. As Fosco was screaming in pain, the creature stood above him and vomited a horrible mixture of gravel and dirt into his mouth. The halfling miner convulsed for a full minute as if his innards were on fire, and then lay still.

During the whole ordeal, Musadoc had been too terrified to move. He had finally recognized them for what they were: shaft wights, one of the very few things that miners dreaded more than a cave-in!

Then, the creature had raised its nightmarish face toward him and the only thing he had seen reflected in its hollow eyes was his own death. So, he had turned tail and run as if his life depended on it.. because it most likely did.

Unfortunately, fear has a funny way of muddling your memories. Instead of going straight back to the shaft, he had actually ventured deeper into the galleries.

For a minute, he dared to think he had lost them. He started to breathe easier and tried to relax. Just as he was about to succeed, he heard it. Faint noises at first, then the telltale splashing sound of feet sloshing through the mud of the gallery’s floor.

Rontra’s grumble! Why don’t they give up?!

But he already knew the answer to that question. The old folktales all agreed on that point: shaft wights liked only two things, collect ore and recruit new members for their undead fraternity.

No doubt, if he stayed here long enough, he would end up running into Fosco again. Or, rather, into the creature Fosco was even now turning into.

The thought wasn’t a cheerful one...

Something bothered him though. Every time he had stopped running, the shaft wights had found him shortly afterward. That in itself wasn’t so odd. After all, they were relentless undeads. No, the weird part was that they didn’t always come from behind him. Sometimes, they came out of secondary tunnels, as if they wished to discourage him from going in certain directions. Almost as if..

I am being herded!

The only question was whether he was guided toward a specific location or away from it.

Since they could overtake him anywhere, he didn’t see the point of doing it in a particular area. No, it was much more likely that they were trying to prevent his escape. This meant there was only one course of action open to him...

I must double back. Find my way past those who track me. Get to one of the access points to the upper or lower levels.

But the mere thought of facing the shaft wights again was enough to turn his stomach and drain all strength from his legs.

Aye.. easier said than done.

His breathing quickened as self-preservation fought logic, and he became acutely aware that cold sweat was covering his entire body.

I don’t want to die!

Noise from both sides of the gallery informed him that his reprieve was over. It was time to act.. or die trying.

Rontra, Earth-Mother, please don’t stick to my feet!

Summoning what strength of will he still had, he put his plan into action, running as quickly as his feet would carry him back the way he had come. Almost immediately, he came face to face with two shaft wights. For a second, he thought he could read surprise on their ruined faces.

He, however, didn’t hesitate. He flung his lantern at the right one. Luckily, his aim was true and the lamp struck the undead miner in the chest. It shattered and flaming oil spurted, spraying the two wights.

Musadoc attempted to run past them, clinging to the right wall as much as he could. Unfortunately, the undead he had hit was now flailing around, trying to extinguish the flames that were devouring its body. As the halfling attempted to squeeze past, one of the creature’s claws grazed his left shoulder. The contact was brief but its effect devastating.

Musadoc almost stumbled as he felt his vitality being ripped from him. Suddenly, he was as feeble as if he had just spent a week suffering from the flu. If his mind and heart hadn’t been screaming that he had to keep moving, he would probably have collapsed on the spot. Instead, his right hand tried to grab the wall in a desperate attempt to steady himself.. and met only empty air.

He tumbled for a few seconds before landing - hard! - on a metallic surface. Pain shot through his head and his left shoulder. As incredible as it may seem, this proved to be exactly what he needed. The resulting adrenaline surge brought back some strength to his limbs and dispelled – however momentarily – the pall of fear that clogged his mind.

He groped around in the dark, his hands trying to ascertain what his surroundings were. Fortunately, it didn’t take him long to find out. He had fallen down a small evacuation shaft straight into an old ore truck.

A roar from above told him at least one of the wights had survived and was only seconds away from reaching him. Frantically, his hands searched the wagon till they found the handle of the brake.

Pleaseohpleaseletitwork!

He pulled as hard as he could.

The handle broke.

Gods above and below, give me a break!

Something heavy dropped from the shaft on top of him, something cold, hard, and definitely moving. Lying on his back, he could feel bits of dirt and gravel falling on his face. He tried very hard not to imagine the wight’s face inches above his own, mouth ready to disgorge whatever had killed Fosco.

Reacting on a purely instinctual level, his legs coiled and then kicked hard. Amazingly, it worked! The wight was projected out of the wagon against the shaft’s wall. As it crumpled between the two, its weight dislodged the cart. The brake, hopelessly rusted, broke apart and the wagon started to roll. Slowly at first, then more rapidly as it picked up speed.

Musadoc, familiar with the mine’s design, knew that ore carts were supposed to converge on central chambers where their contents would be sorted out before being dispatched to one of the main shafts for a one-way trip to the surface.

Sweet freedom, here I come!

His wagon derailed, sending him tumbling to the floor and shattering his dreams of an easy way out of this predicament.

He cursed and screamed at the same time, oath and pain merging into something incoherent yet vehement.

He picked himself up, spat mud and screamed again. Arguably a foolish action, but it was either that or have a breakdown then and there.

He sighed audibly and fought back tears of frustration.

This just ain’t my day..

Grabbing his pickaxe, he started to hobble along blindly in the general direction the cart had been going, using his left hand to stay in contact with the gallery’s wall.

Along the way, blind, hurt and thoroughly miserable, he began to repeat the Prayer of Flame (1) over and over, like a mantra.

“Bright Lady, kindler of hearth,
We light this fire in memory,
For without you, there would be no fire,
Not in heaven, nor on earth.
Bright Lady, keeper of hearth,
We thank you for the flame!”

With every step forward and each retelling, the flame of his faith burnt a little brighter within him, not only bringing comfort but also renewing his hopes.

The prayer began to take a life of its own, its multiple echoes gradually joining Musadoc’s voice to create a divine-like chorus. Gallery after gallery throughout the Second Depth filled with a hymn dedicated to the Fire that Banishes Darkness, timeless bridge between the Bright Lady and her worshippers.

And somewhere in the mine, something heard and stirred...

Musadoc was tired. It seemed to him that he had been walking for hours, if not days. He would have given anything for some light, even from a mere candle. Predictably, when the gloom started to lift at the edge of his field of vision, he thought he was simply imagining it. However, when he noticed that the obscurity was increasing again as he continued forward, he decided to retrace his steps.

The light or, rather, the absence of darkness was coming from a side gallery that was partly caved in. As he got closer, he discovered someone - probably the shaft wights - had begun to clear away the rubble but then had stopped inexplicably. A small opening had been made and, through it, a cool, silvery radiance was spreading to his side of the debris.

Well, it wasn’t daylight but it sure was the first source of light he had found in a long while and, whatever it was, he intended to take it along. He was like a starving man. Now that what he craved for was almost at hand, he wouldn’t leave without it.

He spat in his hands, rubbed them together, rolled up his sleeves, and started to dig with his pickaxe. It wasn’t difficult work, just tricky as he had to enlarge the opening without triggering another cave-in.

As his work progressed, he found something that gave him pause. Apparently, the gallery had collapsed because of a few damaged pit props. The problem was that - as best as he could tell - they had been destroyed intentionally from the other side...

Hmm.. perhaps by miners that were pursued?

He resumed work but decided to proceed carefully.

When the hole was finally big enough, he crawled through. The gallery continued for only a few feet before taking a sharp turn to the left. That was where the radiance originated. Cautiously, he crept around the corner, his pickaxe held two-handed defensively.

Beyond, the tunnel extended for a dozen feet before stopping at another cave-in. Whether artificial or natural, it was hard to tell. However, that particular question looked insignificant compared to the fact that someone was waiting for him. Indeed, Musadoc’s first reaction when he spied the stranger was to freeze, uncertain about how to proceed.

The man - that much could easily be ascertained - was human and thus tall compared to the halfling. He wore an antique suit of plate armor made of burnished bronze and stood in the middle of the tunnel, his legs spread slightly apart for stability and his hands crossed over the guard of a greatsword whose tip had been driven into the ground in front of him. The visor of his helm was raised but, since the only source of light came from behind him, his face was cloaked in shadows. A rather impressive fiery red walrus moustache was readily visible though. The warrior’s general posture seemed to indicate he was acting as a guardian of some sort.

“Hello?”

His greeting was answered only by silence.

“Sir, I’m not looking for trouble but I could really use some help here.”

The warrior didn’t move a muscle, didn’t shift position, and didn’t utter a word.

Musadoc was growing increasingly nervous about this encounter. And yet.. something about the man was oddly appealing to him. Straining his eyes, he tried to gather more details to better understand who he was facing.

The first thing that caught his gaze was the blade of the sword. It was covered with dark patches, the way metal blackens when held in a fire.

Secondly, the warrior was wearing a sporran around the waist. That kind of item was part of the Traladaran traditional garb. No one wore one these days, except maybe during festivals.

The third element that drew his attention was the center piece of the armor’s breastplate. It sported an elaborate silver filigree depicting a roaring hearth partly hidden behind a tower shield. The hearth was familiar to him as Anwyn’s holy symbol. Adding a shield to it was something he had never seen before though.

Well, as long as that man serves the Bright Lady, he is all right by me.

“Sir? I don’t want to intrude but.. do you think you could spare some time to help me get out of the mine? There are critters back in the tunnels that are after me and I’m sure a big, strong fellow like you could take care of them. That is, if you don’t mind, sir.”

The warrior stood unmoving.

My rotten luck. I finally meet someone and the guy is as blind and deaf as a rock! That, or he just doesn’t like company...

Still, that didn’t explain the radiance.

Craning to the side in order to look behind the warrior, Musadoc finally discovered what produced the light. A medallion - a holy symbol by the look of it - had been hung in the middle of the debris. Thanks to its glow, the entire area was bathed in silvery hues.

Magical! Great.. now I’m sure he’ll never let me borrow it.

Musadoc breathed deeply once to gather his courage and then walked right up to the warrior, determined to shake him out of his lethargy if he had to.

As he came closer, the shadows veiling the face gradually lifted, revealing a desiccated visage. The man had been dead for years!

For a minute, the halfling was transfixed with fear, thinking the corpse was going to animate and attack him. After all, given his recent encounters with shaft wights, that wasn’t a totally preposterous hypothesis...

Fortunately, the dead warrior didn’t move. He just stood there, noble and impressive even after having crossed over to Maal’s kingdom (2) long ago.

Warily, Musadoc skirted the corpse to get the medallion. He had to climb a bit on the debris to be high enough but, to an experienced miner such as him, that was the easy part. Holding his breath, his hand reached ever closer till his fingers brushed the silver pendant engraved with the blazing hearth symbol of Anwyn.

~Fàilte lad!

Musadoc was so surprised he dropped the medallion and fell backward. Instinctively, his hands tried to grab something - anything - to break his fall.

They closed on the armor’s tasset.

The whole plate swayed for a second before it came crashing down over Musadoc.

The end result was a lot of new bruises for the halfling and an armored corpse turned into a macabre puzzle...

Rubbing his head, Musadoc coughed a few times to clear out the dust he had swallowed.. and then turned green as he realized just what the dust probably was.

Feeling nauseous, he searched around on his knees for the medallion. Since the latter was still giving off light, it didn’t take long.

He picked it up.

~Lad, that wasn’t very nice what you did to my old bones, now was it?

He dropped it again and screamed.

That was twice he heard the strange voice, not with his ears but inside his head. The first time, he had dared to hope he had imagined it. This time, there could be no mistake.

He was sorely tempted to leave the medallion behind and depart without looking back, but the thought of wandering again in complete darkness stopped him.

Seeing no other viable alternative, he took the medallion once again.

~Are you quite through with this game of yours yet, lad? I can afford to wait a few eons more but I doubt you could.

It took every ounce of will he could muster but, this time, he didn’t drop it.

~Good! Now that you have pulled yourself together, how about formal introductions, eh?

“Who.. or what.. are you?” He hoped his voice didn’t sound half as frightened as he was at that moment.

~Sir Jareth Vaerix, at your service lad. As to ‘what’ I am, I used to be a Firebrand of the holy order of the Hearthkeepers. Right now, however, methink a better definition would be - do NOT drop me! - a ‘ghost’.

“A gh.. gho.. ghost?” Musadoc stammered.

~Quite right, lad. Oh, but don’t let that bother you. I assure you I am quite harmless.. even if you did desecrate my body...

“Ididn’tdoitonpurpose!Iswear!Pleaseohpleasedon’tkillme!”

~Cold ashes, lad! Slow down! I am not here to hurt you, quite the contrary.

“Re.. really? Why do you haunt me then.. er.. sir Ghost?”

~The name be Sir Jareth, lad. But you can call me ‘Firechops’. My friends all do. Well, used to rather. As to the reason of my presence here, it is quite simple. You summoned me.

“I did?!?”

~Course you did, lad! You prayed to the Bright Lady for help, didn’t you? Well, here I am! That is what us Hearthkeepers do, you know? Help and protect - no offense, lad - commoners.

“But you’re dead!”

~You say that as if something so trivial could prevent me from fulfilling my sacred duty!

“...”

~T’was a joke, lad. Don’t living beings have a sense of humor anymore?

Musadoc just couldn’t help it, he started to laugh. Pretty soon, he was roaring with laughter. As he rolled on the ground, holding his ribs, he could feel the tension of the past hours finally dissipating.

Even after the laughter died, he lay on his back for a while, a smile on his lips. Despite the fact that his situation had become so incongruous that he doubted anyone would ever believe him, he felt optimistic again.

“Thanks, I needed that.”

~Don’t mention it, lad. How about giving me your name now, hmm?

“Oh, sorry. I am Musadoc. Musadoc Bramblethorn. Pleased to meet.. er.. you know what I mean.”

~Same here, lad. Alright, back to business. What is your problem?

“You’re joking again, right?”

~On the contrary lad, I am deadly serious. Well, deadly at the very least. Ahrm.. sorry, bad pun. This ‘ghost’ business is new to me too.

“You mean to tell me you don’t know where we are?!”

~Not to burst your bubble, lad, but before I was sent back to help you I was spending my days in.. er.. well, suffice it to say I was enjoying my afterlife. How long have I been dead anyway?

“I have no idea. No one wears bronze armor anymore, so I figure it has been quite a while. And what’s a Hearthkeeper?”

~Why! Hearthkeepers are warriors who have dedicated themselves to Anwyn - bless her name! Don’t tell me she isn’t worshipped anymore!

“Oh no, we do worship her. It’s only that I have never met any Hearthkeeper (3). But then again, I have never been out of the Five Shires. Maybe that’s how you big folks handle things in your cities. Here we have Sheriffs.” He shrugged. “Say, how did you die exactly, if you don’t mind me asking?”

~...

“Sir Jar.. er.. Firechops?”

~Hmm? Oh, sorry. I was trying to remember and, as strange as it may sound, I can’t. I recall well enough my life - my ‘mortal’ life, that is - but the events that occurred during the last few weeks prior to my death are kind of.. fuzzy. Yet, I have this nagging feeling I should be remembering something. You wouldn’t have any wine to offer, would you? Usually helps me clear the cobwebs, if you see what I mean.

“Wine?! I’m a halfling!” (4)

~Oh, right. Had forgotten how sensitive you folks are about that. Dreadfully sorry, lad. Apologies and all that.

“It’s alright, I guess. You’ve been out of touch with the world for a while, after all.”

~Quite so! Thank you, lad. So, got any ale instead?

“Do I look like an innkeeper!? Even if I had some, how would you drink it? Aren’t you lacking a.. er.. body?”

~Ah ha! That is where you are wrong, lad. I have one at my disposal.. yours!

“Mine?!? You said you wouldn’t hurt me!”

~And so I won’t, lad. Calm down. What I meant is that right now we can talk because you are touching the medallion with your flesh but, if you wore it around your neck, I would also be able to see through your eyes, hear through your ears, and.. well, you catch my drift.

“Truly?”

~Verily.

Reluctantly, Musadoc put the holy symbol on. He gulped, expecting to feel weird or something.

Nothing happened.

“Did it work? I don’t feel any different.”

~What did you expect, lad? To sprout eyestalks? I said I would be using your senses, not turning you into a mongrelman! Oh, by the way, as long as you wear it you don’t need to talk aloud for me to hear you. Simply ‘think’.

“What? Like th-”

Er.. I mean, like this?

~Aye, lad. That will do nicely. Now, about that problem of yours..?

Well, this is an abandoned level of the old Ringrise’s copper mine. We shouldn’t be too far from the surface. Trouble is: I’m lost and-

~Correction, lad. We are. You are not alone anymore.

Musadoc could almost imagine the ghost patting him on the shoulder as encouragement. He smiled.

Right. We’re lost but the main problem is that we’re, indeed, not alone!

~Could you be more specific?

There are others like you here, except they still have a body and aren’t particularly friendly...

~Others like me?

Undeads, I mean. No offense, sir.

~...

Sir?

~Sorry lad. I just realized how ironic the situation was.

How so?

~I spent quite a bit of time - when I was still alive, that is - tracking down undeads who were preying on the poor and the defenseless. At one point, I was considered an expert on the subject. Why, the Obedient Brotherhood (5) even invited me to join! So, to have become one is.. rather unsettling.

“I’m truly sorry, sir. It’s my fault if you’re here.” Musadoc had spoken aloud, perhaps because he felt words were more apt than thoughts to convey feelings of true regret.

~Ah, don’t worry about me lad. You are the one that needs help, after all. But I appreciate the thought all the same. Now, let us see what we can do about your undead problem. Do you have holy water?

“No.”

~Flaming oil?

“Nope.”

~Silver weapons?

“Never owned one.”

~You are not making this easy!

“Hey! It’s not like I had planned on being here, you know?”

~Right, sorry lad. Hmm.. I suppose you couldn’t wield my sword, now could you?

Musadoc glanced at the antique greatsword lying on the ground. It was twice as long as he was tall.

“Not a chance.”

~Ah well, we will have to do this the hard way then.

“What do you mean?”

~Run for it.

The halfling snorted in disbelief.

Having a light at his disposal had made a world of difference.

After leaving what he had come to call the burial chamber, Musadoc had been dismayed to notice the radius of light shed by the medallion had shrunk to a mere 10 feet radius. Yet, it had been sufficient.

Instead of groping around blindly in the dark, he had been able to examine carefully his surroundings. Thus, he had found the marks miners engrave on pit props and stones to indicate the shortest route to the access shafts when their mine starts to turn into a labyrinth.

Following those cautiously, he had finally reached a passage to the First Depth and, beyond, to the surface.

Despite looking over his shoulder the whole time, he hadn’t run into any more wights. Though puzzled, he wasn’t about to question his good fortune.

Once safely out of the mine, he reported the presence of undeads in the abandoned levels to the proper authorities and then went straight to the nearest tavern for a well-deserved drink. Strangely, his medallion has stopped glowing the minute he had arrived at the surface.

The main room of the Stalwart Mouse was nearly empty. It was still early in the afternoon and the patrons had yet to finish their day’s work before turning up.

Seated next to the hearth, Musadoc was finishing his second pint of Old Stout.

~Now, that’s what I call ale!

The halfling chuckled.

I bet you didn’t taste anything better in your days!

~Why, lad! I will have you know I was once invited to the High King’s court and was served ale that would be to this as honey is to vinegar!

The High King? But there hasn’t been any High Ki-

“HELP!”

The cry had come from the innkeeper. Apparently, a rough customer - a human - had cornered him and was threatening - loudly! - to beat him up because he had dared to ask the man to pay his bill.

Crud! Another wardog!

~Wardog?

Mercenary. Cygnar is always recruiting new ones. Dunno why but they keep coming through the Shires instead of taking the northern road to Widdershin.

~Cygnar?

No time to explain. I’ve got to do something quick or he’ll beat the innkeeper to a pulp.

~Well said, lad! Pick up your weapon, there are citizens to protect!

Er.. actually, I was planning on fetching the Sheriff...

~Nonsense, lad! You and I are going to solve this by ourselves.

Ourselves? How are you going to help?

~Moral support, lad. Now, stop babbling and go save that poor, defenseless commoner!

Rolling his eyes, Musadoc stood up, grabbed his pickaxe and walked up to the bully.

“Er.. sir?”

No reaction.

~What the.. !? You call that a challenge, lad? You will have to do better than this!

“Prithee sir, would you kindly stop what you’re doing?”

Still no reaction.

~Lad, don’t make me hurt you..

“Hey, you! Skunk-breath!”

The man turned around. He was rather short for a human, which meant he was still twice the size of the halfling. Burly, he had greasy black hair and sported a 3-days beard. His nose had been broken - several times - which only served to reinforce his ‘roughneck’ look. He wore a leather armor that had known better days and carried a short sword with a serrated blade. His eyes were a bit clouded, which meant he was probably drunk.

~Not exactly subtle, but it got the job done.

“Whut in tarnation does yo' want Shorty?”

“Sir, you’ll pay your bill and then leave this establishment. I think it’s fair to say you’ve overstayed your welcome.” Musadoc raised his pickaxe a bit to underscore the veiled threat.

~Oooh, I liked that! You even thought to include a remark about what he owed. Nice touch, lad.

The man’s face turned red and his eyes bulged. “Fry mah hide! Make me!” He drew his sword.

I’m sooo dead...

~No, you are not. Anwyn favors those who find the courage to risk all for the defenseless.

The ghost’s voice had sounded oddly solemn for once, but the halfling didn’t have time to wonder about it since the thug chose that moment to charge him while snarling insults.

~For I am the Shield of the Weak and Virtue is my Strength!

Musadoc didn’t know how or why but the ghost’s words resounded like a thunderclap in his mind. He felt raw energy suddenly coursing through his veins, enlarging his muscles and bolstering his stamina. Time seemed to slow down and the human’s movements became sluggish to his eyes.

The halfling dodged his first attack easily, almost contemptuously. He giggled, still astonished at what was happening.

~Careful, lad. Don’t let it go to your head. I know it is exhilarating but you have got to remain in control. Besides, I suggest you to use it while it lasts.. which won’t be long.

That news sobered up the halfling.

Right. So, what do I do now?

~Given he is trying to kill you, I think defending yourself would be the obvious choice.

Musadoc having dodged the attack, the human walked past him, his swing carrying him forward. His back was totally unprotected. The halfling raised his weapon to strike but hesitated at the last second and held back his blow. The human regained his balance and turned around again. Disbelief was written all over his face.

~That was a mistake, lad. Never hesitate. If you do, your opponent will capitalize on it. We serve Anwyn, not Morwyn. If killing is unavoidable, don’t shy away from it.

Easy for you to say! I.. I’ve never hurt anyone before!

The human advanced on Musadoc again, more cautiously this time.

“Yo' li'l weasel! So, yer a trick one eh? Wal, ah have got a few tricks of mah own.”

~I am sorry you have to go through your baptism of fire like this, lad. Sadly, innocence is the one luxury you can not afford right now.

The mercenary suddenly kicked in a nearby stool, sending it flying in Musadoc’s direction. His aim was off but it was enough to distract the halfling for a few seconds.. which was all the human needed. He came in low, with a reverse cut aimed at Musadoc’s abdomen. The halfling managed to dodge it but just barely. His shirt had been cut and a thin line of blood blossomed from underneath.

~Listen to me, lad! It is self-defense. He drew blood first!

Musadoc was still holding back, fresh pain adding to his indecisiveness.

The two opponents circled each other warily, one bent on bloodshed, the other on avoiding it.

The human tried to bull-rush the halfling, intent on pinning him to a wall. Unfortunately, he stepped on the stool he had used earlier and that was now lying on the floor. Slipping, he fell forward, spreading his arms wide instinctively to try to regain his balance.

~Now, lad. NOW!

Gripping his pickaxe two-handed, Musadoc launched himself forward. He rolled under the man’s right arm and came up behind him, swinging his weapon backward and down with all his strength.

The pickaxe connected to the base of the human’s skull with a thud.

The mercenary’s body fell to the floor, jerked convulsively a few times and then lay still.

~Well done, lad! Lad? La-

Musadoc fainted.

He regained consciousness on the floor to the sound of multiple voices all battling for his attention.

“Mister? Mister?

~Lad? Talk to me, lad. Lad?

”SHUT UP, ALL OF YOU!”

Blessed silence, finally.

He felt weak, nauseous and tired, all at once. Groaning, he sat and massaged his temples for a minute till he began to feel a bit better. Sighing, he opened his eyes.

The innkeeper was crouching next to him, a worried look on his face.

Gazing around him, Musadoc saw the thug’s corpse a few feet away, his pickaxe still embedded in the skull.

Crud! And here I was hoping it had all been a nightmare...

“Er.. mister? Are you feeling alright?” The innkeeper’s voice held a note of apprehension.

Oh, right. He must think I am crazy.

“Thank you, I’ll manage. Sorry about my outburst earlier. Let’s just say I’ve had a bad day.”

“No problem, mister. I just wanted to thank you for coming to my rescue. Damn humans, always up to no good!”

Musadoc picked himself up and walked to the corpse. He pulled his pickaxe free and concentrated on not throwing up at the sight of the grey matter that was stuck to it.

He bent forward, yanked the human’s purse loose, and threw it at the innkeeper.

“I believe this is yours.”

“Thank you, mister!”

The innkeeper examined the contents. He counted carefully what money there was and then turned to Musadoc.

“I’ll just take what he owed me. The rest will be used to pay for his funeral. Does that sound reasonable to you?”

“Sure, whatever.” Musadoc made a dismissal gesture.

Why the blaze is he asking me?

~Because he sees you as a man of action, lad. The kind that takes charge. Want it or not, that is what you became the minute you decided to help him.

But I don’t want to be one! I just want to be a miner and mind my own business.

~Do you now, lad? I wonder. Your faith was strong enough to pull me back to this world. No small feat, I assure you! You chose to involve yourself in a dispute that didn’t concern you. And when the time came, you risked your life selflessly to save another’s. It seems to me you have the makings of a Hearthkeeper. I would be honored to act as your instructor.

But.. but.. I never.. I mean, I always thought I would..

~And that is exactly as it should be, lad. Do you seriously think that I woke up one day with an epiphany? I was chosen by the Bright Lady, same as the others. And, at first, I resisted her call, same as the others too. But you can’t deny her for long, lad. She draws you to her like a moth to a flame, mark my words! Eventually, you will give in. So, it might as well be now, eh?

I guess there is no harm in giving it a try...

~That is the spirit, lad!

“Mister?”

Musadoc looked up to see the innkeeper standing next to him. Engrossed in his conversation with the ghost, he hadn’t paid attention to his surroundings.

“Aye?”

“I know you didn’t do it for a reward but I want you to have this all the same. The human had it in his purse and.. well, it’s not like he’ll be able to use it any time soon.” He put an item in Musadoc’s palm.

A small silver key? I wonder what it opens...

“Er.. thanks.”

Still looking at the key in perplexity, Musadoc made his way back to the hearth.

~Lad? Where are you going? We have to start your training.

I only intended to finish my pint first, if you don’t mind.

~Lad, I like the way you think. We are going to get on famously!

Back in the mine, the equipment and bones of a once-valiant knight lay in sad disarray on the cold ground right next to a wall of debris. Obscurity filled a room that had been illuminated by the will of a goddess since before the Cataclysm, and silence reigned supreme again. The room wasn’t empty though. A dozen shaft wights stood in it, motionless, as if waiting.

Had someone else been present - someone whose eyes could pierce the gloom - that person would have been privy to a disturbing spectacle. From the exact spot where the holy symbol had hung for so long, ebony tendrils of darkness were now working their way across the rubble, outlining every crack no matter how minor. And wherever they spread, stones started to crumble. As the tendrils grew, the wights’ bodies turned slowly to dust, their vile essence contributing to the destructive and relentless process.

Eventually, a hole appeared in the middle of the wall and a sepulchral voice whispered words that carried the ring of a dire portent.

He sang in celestial tones,
awakening spirits old and sly
who wait for breech amongst the stones,
to curse and hunt who would defy.
The lesser, the mere baits,
strike fear into the hearts of men.
The greater beyond the tomb waits;
Once woken, will never sleep again.

And in a darkness that knew no light, something stirred...

(1) Anwyn (aka The Bright Lady), goddess of the hearth, is the halflings’ most beloved deity. Usually, they honor her once per week during a ceremony where they bless her name through the Prayers of Ale, Bread, and Flame.

(2) Maal is the god of the dead (and justice). All who die have to journey to his kingdom to stand trial for the actions they committed during their mortal life.

(3) .. which is comprehensible given that particular holy order has been defunct since before the Cataclysm.

(4) In this world, wine is associated with Zheenkeef, goddess of chaos, madness and prophecy. According to the halflings’ oldest legends, she tampered with their race - for fun - as it was still growing on Eliwyn (see note (2) in Prelude - part 2). As a result, instead of being tall and willowy, halflings were born short and.. ahem.. round :p
They never forgave her for it and, to this day, no halfling will pay respect to her in any way. Thus, they stubbornly refuse to drink wine. Indeed, the surest way to insult one of them is to offer him a glass of wine.

(5) The Obedient Brotherhood is the name given to holy warriors of Mormekar, god of death. They are hailed as the most efficient - if not ruthless - undead-slayers.

Last edited:

ledded

Herder of monkies
Fabulous update. Well done, the tension you created was palpable to me as just a reader, which is not an easy thing to do. I am impressed.

Mortepierre said:
Thank you both! :eek:

To be fair, though, I have to give credit where credit is due. My toughest job here is to act as a translator. I am sure that, by now, it’s obvious English isn’t our group’s mother language.
I would not have known at all had you not said anything (although the location of 'Western Europe' under your avatar *should* have given me a clue :) ). Your command of English and writing style is better than quite a few native speakers who write Story Hours on these boards, myself included ;).

You group sounds like a very good one, and your description is similar to my own group. We like to create rich and varied backgrounds for our characters which our GM then integrates into the world history, then occasionally uses as a sharp stick to poke us with :).

Keep up the good work, I am thoroughly enjoying your story.

Thanediel

First Post

Well, well, look what I found.. :]

Hi folks, I’m the player behind Pelrind and I guess our DM didn’t expect us to find this :cool:

Don’t mind his remark about English, all of us are at least familiar with it (hard not to given all the books use it) and some (our DM included) are considered fluent in it. None of us wrote our background in English though.

I’m not surprised though. It’s one thing to speak 21st century English technical lingo in your daily job, it’s another to write a medieval heroic-fantasy story that will catch the attention of native English speakers. Knowing our DM, I bet he must be worrying sick about doing a quality job :heh:

He is quite the prolific writer already, you have no idea :uhoh:

To give a example, when we prepared for this campaign, I received
- 22 pages about character creation (including house rules)
- 5 pages on the kingdom’s history
- 18 (!!!) pages about the Stone Elves’ way of life

As for giving credit..

I can’t say for sure about Eirak or Kalveig’s players. Both are good writers and, knowing them, they probably came up with their basic background on their own but I bet Mort “enhanced” them a bit at the very least. Behind the scene parts are certainly his though.

Neither Musadoc, nor Siubhan’s players had written anything. The former because he was still a newbie at the time, the latter because she didn’t want any. I know because they told me. So, those backgrounds are 100% from our DM.

I must say, it’s fun to learn finally about Musadoc’s “pal”. It took us more than a year “in-game” to figure it out but we shared a few good laughs along the way :lol:

As for me..

I remember telling Mort about wanting to play a Druid that would concentrate on elemental spells and not give a damn about animals/plants. Two days later, I received a full write-up on the Dvorr and his sect :eek:

I wrote my background afterward. It makes up some 35% of what Mort posted here and from what I can see, he reworked even that part. So, that’s that.

Mort, is it ok if I continue to lurk around? I wouldn’t mind reading about some of our old adventures :eek:

Mortepierre

First Post
ledded said:
Fabulous update. Well done, the tension you created was palpable to me as just a reader, which is not an easy thing to do. I am impressed.

High praise indeed! (and new motivation for me to go on, so thanks!) :)

Thanediel said:

Well, well, look what I found.. :]

Hi folks, I’m the player behind Pelrind and I guess our DM didn’t expect us to find this :cool:

Curse! Foiled again :mad:

I just have to know. How did you find your way here? I tried “Drachenhold” in several Search engines and none directed me here, so how did you do it? :confused:

Thanediel said:
I’m not surprised though. It’s one thing to speak 21st century English technical lingo in your daily job, it’s another to write a medieval heroic-fantasy story that will catch the attention of native English speakers. Knowing our DM, I bet he must be worrying sick about doing a quality job :heh:

Spot-on :eek:

Obviously, I am not new to English but, sadly, most dictionaries lack a medieval section. Ever tried to find an accurate translation of medieval clothing (or armor, etc..) from one language to another? Nightmare, I tell you!

Thank god for annotated pictures in the Encyclopaedia Britannica... :heh:

Thanediel said:
He is quite the prolific writer already, you have no idea :uhoh:

To give a example, when we prepared for this campaign, I received
- 22 pages about character creation (including house rules)
- 5 pages on the kingdom’s history
- 18 (!!!) pages about the Stone Elves’ way of life

What can I say.. I like being thorough :p

Thanediel said:
Mort, is it ok if I continue to lurk around? I wouldn’t mind reading about some of our old adventures :eek:

<ponders>

Well, it will force me to change a bit what I planned to include in this SH to account for elements you have yet to discover in-game but nothing I can’t manage. Besides, you could help point out things I have forgotten or explain better some of the things your team did. Deal!

Just don’t point out the others here, I don’t want Siubhan’s player to tell me my monsters aren’t “optimized” ;)

Last edited:

Thanediel

First Post
Mortepierre said:
I just have to know. How did you find your way here? I tried “Drachenhold” in several Search engines and none directed me here, so how did you do it? :confused:

Google + Mortepierre :cool:
(your fault for always using the same handle :p )

Mortepierre said:
Just don’t point out the others here, I don’t want Siubhan’s player to tell me my monsters aren’t “optimized” ;)

lol! No kidding. After being told for 1 year straight I should have gone with Fire instead of Earth, I wouldn't wish that to anyone :heh:

Mortepierre

First Post
And with this post, we conclude the Prelude series. Next time, the heroes finally meet in Chapter 1: the Vault! ;)

Prelude - part 4: Pain and Remembrance

399 AC - St-Martha Monastery

It was still early. The sun was rising in the sky, slowly dissipating the mist that surrounded the monastery and filled its cloister. Matriarchs were leaving their cells and converging on the main chapel for the morning’s prayers. In their white robes, hastening in silence, they looked like pale ghosts fluttering through the corridors.

In alcoves, along the halls they traversed, armed men stood by in shadows, unmoving, their eyes never leaving the Matriarchs for as long as they were in their field of vision. They all wore a white tabard embroidered with 3 blue tears arranged in a triangle.

Once the last priestess had entered the chapel and its doors were closed, half the warriors left their alcoves, assembling in a large hall whose thick walls would dampen down any noise coming out of it. Even the heavy wooden door was padded with this aim in view.

Wooden shields and various weapons hung from the walls. All the weapons were blunted in some way though. Flails, hammers and mauls had been padded, and the blades had had their edge dulled.

One of the fighters, whose only distinguishing mark - apart from his serious look - was a white armband, came to stand in the center of the hall. Holding his forearms so that they crossed in front of his chest, he struck the palms of his hands once.

The warriors put down their own weapons and shields near the entrance and equipped themselves with those displayed on the walls. Then, they stood - evenly spaced - around the hall.

The fighter’s gaze came to rest on each of them in turn. Some bowed their head in deference, but none flinched. Seemingly satisfied, the man left the center of the hall, taking his place in the circle formed by the others. At his command, they all went down on their knees. His voice, when he spoke, was calm yet could be heard throughout the large room.

”Morwyn, Queen of Heaven, we are gathered here to honor you through our acts and our prayers.

Shield our eyes with selflessness, that they may not covet another man’s wealth.

Slow down our blades as they strike, that we may give quarter to our enemies.

Give us the courage to resist challenges that may result in bloodshed.

And grant us your wisdom, that we may distinguish truth from falsehood.”

As he finished the prayer, the others struck up the ritual reply, their voices as one.

“Not for us, Lady. Not for us but for the sole glory of your name!”

They all stood up then, ready to begin their daily training session. All but one, that is. One man was still on his knees. He was trying to get up but seemed to be experiencing difficulties doing so, as if the act was painful. Indeed, he had to use his shield as a kind of improvised cane to succeed.

Master Arnulf, knight-commander of the monastery’s contingent of Faithful Sons, caught a glimpse of it.

“Brother Kalveig, you seem to be in need of exercises. You will open the session with Brother Fearig, aye?”

Kalveig grimaced before answering “By your leave, Master”. He equipped his shield and his flail, and advanced towards the center of the hall, waiting for his opponent. The latter joined him shortly.

The two saluted and, on Arnulf’s signal, began to fight.

Fearig was young, barely past twenty, having just completed his four years of training and earned his tabard. Strong and stocky, he wielded a bastard sword two-handed, probably because - as the son of a nobleman - it was his preferred weapon. Some of the older knights frowned but remained silent (1).

In comparison, Kalveig looked almost old and tired. He was tall and wiry, in his early thirties. His flaxen hair fell on his shoulders like an unruly mane, and his long moustache was in serious need of a trim. His blue eyes were lusterless and just added to his dejected look. At least, that is how he appeared to the casual observer.

To an experienced fighter, the view was more nuanced. Kalveig’s grip on his flail was strong and the way he was holding his shield indicated he knew how best to use it. Still, it was hard to determine if he was just faking disinterest for this battle or his heart truly wasn’t in it.

After the first few passages of arms, Fearig became convinced his opponent had chosen to be on the defensive. That didn’t displease him. He liked to be the one giving the blows. He was just disappointed Master Arnulf hadn’t selected a more worthy adversary for him. He had heard a few unsavory rumors about Kalveig and they all alluded to the fact that he was a failure, perhaps even a drunkard.

Righteous indignation filled his heart. He would teach the man a lesson! Kalveig was neither fit nor worthy, and he would expose him for the pathetic wretch that he was. After which he would magnanimously offer to escort him out of the monastery and give him a few silver pieces to get drunk at the nearest tavern. He felt sure Morwyn herself would smile on him for removing such an embarrassment from her holy house.

He began to pound on his opponent’s shield.

Kalveig sighed while deflecting yet another attack.

So obvious. That kid hasn’t got a clue what he is doing. Does he seriously think he can batter me down just by using his sword like a maul?

There he goes again. Morwyn’s mercy! He doesn’t even guard his left flank anymore. Against a gnoll, he would be dead meat by now.

He winced as pain lanced through his left leg.

Can’t take.. much more.. of this.

He gritted his teeth and concentrated on Fearig, analyzing his movements.

His next attack is going to come from the left, aimed low. His own left flank will be completely open. Good. One blow ought to do the trick.

Fearig attacked once again, putting all his strength behind his strike.

Kalveig waited for the last possible moment before raising his shield as much as he could, leaving himself completely defenseless.

The sword scored a solid hit on his left armpit, sending him flying to the floor in a heap.

Sweet Lady! The pain!!

He gasped but consciousness refused to elude him.

Most of the other knights stood aghast, though a few of the younger ones exchanged derisive comments.

“DESIST!”

The tone of Master Arnulf’s voice was enough to silence them all. It was clear he would brook no further insolence.

He crossed rapidly the hall to stand over Kalveig.

“The session is over. Resume your duties. Not you Brother Fearig! You will go to your cell and meditate over the Second and Third Virtues until such time as I deem you worthy to join your Brothers again!”

He waited till they had all left the room. Then, and only then, he went down on his knees and gently helped Kalveig to lie on his back. The latter was wheezing, sure sign he had one (or more) broken rib.

Arnulf shook his head and sighed. He cradled Kalveig’s head in his lap.

“Why Kal? Why do you persist in pulling that kind of stupid stunt? You could have handled that kid with both hands tied in your back, even on a bad day. Fact is, I was counting on you to help me beat some caution into that - may Morwyn forgive me - dumb head of his.”

Kalveig was looking at him, his eyes no longer lusterless, just.. weary.

Arnulf sighed again but then frowned as he spied blood dripping from Kalveig’s left thigh. He swore.

Gingerly, he removed Kalveig’s chainmail and swore again, louder this time.

“Kal! You miserable son of a she-troll! I ought to..!”

The thigh was cut almost to the bone and had been bandaged only superficially. The bandages were soaked in blood. That Kalveig had managed to move - not to mention fight! - for so long without collapsing was miraculous.

“You have done it again, haven’t you? Who was it this time?”

“The.. merchant”. Kalveig coughed. “The one who was.. ambushed by bandits.. on the southern road.”

“Damn it, Kal! You know as well as I do that, as long as you reside at the monastery, you are not authorized to go through the Rite of Transference without a Matriarch or a White Hand to supervise your condition during the whole process. That’s the second time this year alone!”

“Had to..” He wheezed. “The man would have.. died by morning.. from infection. I can’t.”

“That’s a lie and you know it! Even if it isn’t, it was for the gods to decide, not you. Now hold still while I patch you up and-”

“Arn, no! Must.. suffer.. more” Kalveig’s gaze was almost feverish.

“Don’t give me that look Kal! I am sick and tired of covering up for you. And for what? You can suffer all you want, it won’t bring her back. It won’t bring Le-”

NO!” Kalveig’s hand had struck like a snake and now held Arnulf’s throat in a viselike grip.

Arnulf choked.

Morwyn’s mercy! So strong yet!

Never.. say.. her name!” Kalveig’s eyes clouded with tears and his grip relaxed, the rest of his strength finally spent.

Arnulf jumped back, coughed several times, and started massaging his throat while eyeing Kalveig with pity and disgust at the same time. The latter was now sobbing on the floor, the living embodiment of despair.

Arnulf’s face clouded over as he approached the wounded warrior again. Laying his hands on Kalveig’s leg, he called upon Morwyn. Slowly, a soft silvery light suffused the wound. The blood stopped flowing and the flesh started to mend. Little by little, the gash closed till nothing but a pink scar remained. The light didn’t stop there. It spread to the rest of Kalveig’s body. Broken ribs knitted, and bruises disappeared. Kalveig’s breathing eased. Even his sobbing quieted down.

Arnulf stood up and turned his back to him before talking again. When he did, his voice held only the barest trace of pity.

“It has been 5 years Kal. No one can change what happened. I know you wish you could - we all do - but you can’t. Sometimes it happens, even to the best of us. Dying won’t change that, and no amount of suffering will ease the pain you feel.”

“How could you possibly know how I feel? Your charge didn’t die on your watch! (2)” Kalveig’s voice sounded almost reproachful.

Arnulf whirled round to face him again.

“That’s right, but if she had I wouldn’t be squandering the Lady’s gifts to indulge my self-pity. Except you don’t indulge it, you wallow in it!”

Kalveig had the good sense to avert his eyes in shame.

Arnulf came to kneel in front of him and grabbed him by the shoulders.

“Deardre and I loved L.. her as a sister. Her death affected us too, but we chose to live with it, rather than be destroyed by it. No one blames you for what happened. You couldn’t have done anything to prevent it. Foul sorcery held you in its grip, for crying out loud!”

Kalveig was shaking his head slowly, on the verge of tears again. “I should have done.. something. Arn, you don’t know how hard it was to watch helplessly as they..” His voice broke and he put his face in his hands.

Arnulf sighed deeply.

“Look Kal, you can’t go on like this. And I can’t continue to cover up your behavior. When I found you in that tavern, 4 years ago, and brought you back to the monastery, I hoped you would come out of it. But you haven’t, and it’s destroying you piece by piece. You have refused to set foot out of this sanctuary ever since and, at first, I thought it was for the best. Now, I see I was wrong. Staying confined here won’t help. Nothing will. You need to go outside and live again!

You should be Master of your own monastery by now. You have been wasting your skills and the powers the Lady entrusted you with long enough. Most of us choose the Path of the Healer, very few the Path of the Martyr. But you did and I always envied you for it. That’s right, envied you! Why? Because it takes a special kind of courage to walk down that path. I saw it in you back then, and I still see it today.. even if you can’t. We need you out there, showing pups like Brother Fearig that being a Faithful Son isn’t about glory and killing but about preserving life.”

He got up.

“I am going to talk to the abbess about it and request a new assignment for you.”

Kalveig looked up at him, panic-stricken.

“Arn, please! I.. I can’t. It’s too soon!”

“You can and you will, Brother Kalveig. You can accept the mission or resign for good, but either way you’ll be out of this monastery before the end of the week. I suggest you to take a bath and shave in the meantime. Remember, a healthy soul begins with a healthy body.”

Arnulf left the room, leaving Kalveig to his inner demons.

“.. and so, you see Holy Mother (3), I think it would be best if Brother Kalveig was-”

The abbess raised her right hand to interrupt him.

“Master Arnulf, you have never been very good at beating around the bush. Why don’t you get to the point and tell me what you truly think Brother Kalveig needs?”

Arnulf raised an eyebrow to try to convey the impression he didn’t know what she was talking about.

“Tell you what. Let us pretend for a minute that you are still a young hot-headed warrior and I a stubborn young woman hellbent on redeeming villains. Back then, didn’t we swear over a campfire that we would always be honest to each other?”

Arnulf chuckled.

“At times, it feels like that was an eternity ago. We were still unused to the realities of the world.” A rueful smile made its way across its face.

They looked in each other’s eyes and, beyond, in each other’s soul. They both carried scars that neither time nor spell could erase. In a way, it had made them stronger.. but it was also a burden they couldn’t share with anyone else.

“Deardre, I am at my wit’s end. I tried patience, giving him comfort, yelling. Heck! I even tried to shame him. But nothing worked, and-”

“.. and you can’t find the strength to lie for him anymore?”

He looked at her, surprise and embarrassment in his eyes.

“Oh come now, Arn. Did you truly think I hadn’t noticed? Every time he sneaked in the infirmary, I had to deal with young Matriarchs awed by what appeared to be a miraculous recovery the next morning. If I hadn’t done all I could to cover it up as well, this monastery would have become a place of pilgrimage by now!” she snorted. “I know few Faithful Sons dedicate themselves to the Path of the Martyr these days but I haven’t forgotten what they are capable of when they do.”

“I am sorry, I didn’t want to lie to you but he is.. was my-”

“.. your friend? Aye, I remember that as well. You received your tabard on the same day as I recall. You two could have been brothers.”

Arnulf balled his left fist and put it over the tears embroidered on his tabard in silent remembrance.

“I know how you feel, Arn. Leandra and I took our vow the same day too. She was like a sister to me.”

“Were you.. angry with him? For letting her die, I mean.”

Deardre sat back in her chair and watched the ceiling for a while before answering.

“I was.. at first. I may be a priestess but I am still a human being, you know? Later, I forgave him.. if there was something to be forgiven to begin with. It’s not as if he was truly responsible for what happened, eh?”

“No, only a Mage Guard (4) would have stood a chance from what I understand. But he blames himself for it anyway.”

“That was only to be expected. That notion forms the foundation of your training, after all.”

They both remained silent for a minute before she spoke again.

“Given he has full command of his powers, I think we can safely say he retains Morwyn’s favor. But would it surprise you to know Leandra has forgiven him as well?”

He looked at her in shock. “You spoke to her spirit?!”

She shook her head. “No, I am not a High Matriarch. But right after you brought him back to the monastery, I talked to one of the Lady’s servants. He was willing to run an errand for me.. an errand of mercy. Lea loved Kal very much, perhaps more than he knew. She was quite distraught over his condition. She couldn’t do anything about it, of course. Not directly anyway. But she interceded with the Lady on his behalf and, apparently, the goddess granted her wish for she came to me in my dreams and showed me what needed to be done.”

Arnulf hazarded a guess. “The Rite of Atonement?”

Deardre shook her head again. “No, nothing as drastic as that. I was told to wait for a sign. That is why I allowed you to think you had successfully kept me in the dark for so long.”

He could read in her eyes that she had been hurt by the deception but, most of all, by the fact he hadn’t requested her help immediately. Silently, he resolved to seek her forgiveness later. Right now, the important matter was to take care of Kalveig.

“In fact” she continued, “your timing couldn’t have been better for I finally received the sign yesterday. Watch but no matter what happens, please remain silent.”

She took a small silver bell on her desk and rang it thrice. Immediately, light footsteps echoed in the corridor outside her office. Arnulf stood up and walked to stand behind her; not only because it was proper but also in order to better see who she had just invited to join them.

The door opened to admit a young Matriarch. From the look of her, she had probably just finished her novitiate. She entered, keeping her eyes down as befitted her station.

“You summoned me, Holy Mother?”

“Indeed, Sister..?”

“Siubhan, Holy Mother.”

“Ah yes, Sister Siubhan. The High Matriarch of Widdershin spoke highly of you in her missive.”

Siubhan blushed.

“Tell me child, what paths did you choose when you took your vow?”

“The Erudite and the Healer, Holy Mother.”

“But you are primarily a White Hand (5), correct?”

“By Morwyn’s blessing, Holy Mother.”

“And why did you request assignment to this monastery in particular?”

“It was not so much the monastery as the person to whom it is dedicated, Holy Mother.”

“You feel special reverence for St-Martha, a priestess who was burnt at the stake for heresy?”

“She was a devoted White Hand before she fell from grace, Holy Mother, and the fact that the White Lady saw fit to grant her sainthood despite what she did prior to her death is - to me - a shining example of Morwyn’s limitless forgiveness.”

Deardre threw Arnulf a see what I mean? look but the latter only furrowed his brow in puzzlement and shrugged in response. He still couldn’t see what she had in mind.

“I have a mission for you, child. That is, if you feel up to it..” continued Deardre.

“I will humbly accept whatever task you entrust me with, Holy Mother.” Siubhan bowed low.

“Excellent.” Deardre opened a drawer, took a small casket in it, put it on the desk and pushed it toward Siubhan. “This box contains a gift from a man we healed a few months ago. A silver key to be precise. At first, I didn’t know what to make of it, but I have been recently informed by a messenger that - apparently - it entitles us to some kind of recompense. The only problem being that someone has to fetch it. Since, right now, I cannot spare any of the more experienced Matriarchs for such a task, I thought you might relish the opportunity to travel a bit before spending your days cloistered here, hmm?”

Siubhan blushed again.

“You are to travel to Weston. It is a small village near the Suressian border. There, you will meet a man named Kel Varnsen. He will explain to you what needs to be done to collect the reward. While you are at it, I would like you to investigate a rumor I heard about a strange sickness that seems to plague the natives. Solve the problem if you can, or come back to us with enough information if you can’t. Of course, you won’t be traveling alone. We will assign a Faithful Son to protect you. Since this is your first official mission, Master Arnulf here will select a veteran.”

Siubhan looked up a brief moment and her eyes caught those of Arnulf. The latter had to bite on his tongue not to gawp.

Blue-green eyes, just like Leandra’s!?!

Deardre stood up. “May Morwyn watch over you, child. Her mercy is, indeed, infinite...”

(1) Faithful Sons consider piercing/slashing weapons to be reserved for the most experienced warriors because it is more difficult not to deliver a lethal hit with them.

(2) Morwyn’s clergy is the main source of magical healing available since druids are reviled and the only other deity granting cure spells - Rontra - is considered by most (except farmers) as outdated. Since Morwyn’s priestesses usually don’t wear armor and are peaceful folks, it is traditional for each priestess (aka Matriarch) to have her own Faithful Son bodyguard (the Faithful Sons being Morwyn’s holy warriors). The latter has one duty that he must fulfill above all others: keep the Matriarch he protects alive at all costs, even if it means sacrificing his own life. For a Faithful Son, there can be no greater disgrace than surviving the Matriarch he was assigned to defend.

(3) When a Matriarch has become powerful enough (read: when she reaches a certain level), she has to go through a test. If she succeeds, she is then elevated to the rank of Holy Mother and – usually - put in charge of a monastery.

(4) A holy warrior of Tinel, god of magic. Supposedly, Mage Guards are among the toughest opponents a spellcaster can face given their innate spell resistance.

(5) Among priestesses of Morwyn (aka the White Lady), those who specialize in healing are called the White Hands. It is also the name of an order of lay healers sponsored by the clergy. Generally, anyone who has a gift for healing is called a White Hand among commoners. At times, it makes things a bit confusing but it shows how much tradition has come to associate Morwyn with the act of healing in human culture.

Mortepierre

First Post
Hi all.

Chapter 1 is going to be bigger than I anticipated and since I am rather busy right now, I have decided to divide it into several parts which I'll post as soon as I complete each of them. My hope is that it will make the waiting more bearable.

You can blame ledded for it as he got me addicted to some very good SH (his own included - read it!) and it's hard to stop reading to write again! :p

Chapter 1: The NeMoren’s Vault
(special thanks to James Bell)

1.1 Heirs to a Curse:

400 AC (Spring) - NeMoren manor (village of Weston)

The office had an air of faded grandeur.

It was dominated by a large window set in the eastern wall and made of three expensive glass panels, one of which was cracked and hadn’t been replaced. The walls were covered with wainscoting engraved with pastoral scenes. And the floor was hidden beneath an exotic carpet whose colors - before decades had dulled them - must have once offered a dazzling yet abstract motif for visitors to marvel at.

A massive desk occupied the center of the room. Carved from rare calantra wood, it was sturdy yet elegant, its entire surface having been polished to a mirror-like finish before being varnished. Presently, two items rested on it: a carefully folded piece of velum with an unbroken wax seal, and a small casket. The latter was open. Four identical silver keys lay in it on a blue velvet bed.

On one side of the desk, with their back to the window, two men. The first - a forest elf - was standing, his arms crossed in front of his chest, a nonchalant look on his face. The second - a human - was seated in a high-backed wooden chair covered in timeworn leather. In his late fifties, his pepper-and-salt beard and hair betrayed his age. Yet, his eyes were clear and his demeanor energetic.

Five persons faced them across the desk. From left to right, there was a dwarf, a halfling, two humans, and a stone elf. All were seated except for one of the humans.

The dwarf was equipped with an old yet well-maintained scale mail that, from the look of it, had been through many battles. He sported a superb midnight-black beard that reached down to his navel and had been carefully braided. The four braids were held together two-third of the way down by a steel clasp shaped like an angry badger’s face. A wicked-looking battle axe rested across his knees while a large wooden shield hung from the back of his chair.

Of all the persons present in the room, the halfling was probably the one who looked most out of place. He wore simple leather armor and cradled in his lap a strange-looking helmet with a broad brim and a pierced visor. The only indication that he was not a simple lower class worker was the ancient-looking silver medallion he wore around his neck. He was clean-shaven and had short-cropped auburn hair. At odd intervals, he would make grimaces as if he was listening to something he alone could hear and reacted to it silently. A pickaxe leaned against the back of his chair along with a small, round, wooden shield.

The third chair was occupied by a young, demure woman wearing a loose-fitting white linen robe held at the hip by a simple leather belt. She was small, barely one hand taller than the dwarf. Unlike him though, she was narrow-hipped and graced with delicate features. Her long chestnut-brown hair had been collected in a single braid down her back, and she wore openly Morwyn’s holy symbol around her neck. Blue-green eyes that knew no malice looked inquisitively from time to time at the other persons in the room as if trying to ascertain their motives.

A human warrior stood behind her. Taller than anyone else in the room, he was clad in chainmail over which he wore a white tabard embroidered with 3 blue tears arranged in a triangle. He also carried a small steel shield strapped across his back beneath a fur coat. His left hand held a quarterstaff while his right rested protectively on the back of the woman’s chair. A light flail was tied to his belt. He looked well-groomed, with short-cropped flaxen hair and a neatly-trimmed moustache. His hard blue eyes seemed to be constantly scanning the room for potential threats to his companion.

The elf radiated serenity. Long, graceful, pointed ears framed a delicate face dominated by two large, slanted eyes of vibrant silver. His hair was the color of pure snow, which contrasted strongly with his deep black skin (1). He wore garments of supple leather dyed a deep brown. Had he not been breathing, he might have been mistaken for an obsidian statue. A staff leaned against the nearby wall, within easy reach. Carved of duskwood, one side had been sculpted to represent a draconic head whose maw grasped a round-shaped lapis lazuli of large size. Its other side ended in a sharp point that had been reinforced by a metallic sheath.

Kel Varnsen rubbed his chin pensively while silently appraising the strangers.

I wonder if our liege had these folks in mind when he foolishly chose to entrust us all to Fate’s mercy...

He shook his head slightly, as if dismissing a thought, and then coughed to insure he had their attention.

“First of all, let me welcome you all to Weston and the Westwood Barony. I am - as some of you already know - Kel Varnsen, mayor of the nearby village of Hollobrae. If I took the liberty of inviting you here today, it was to honor the will - the last will actually - of the late Baron Paytro NeMoren.

Right before his death, three years ago, he named me his executor and left precise instructions about how to proceed. Apparently, long ago, the Baron had given away four silver keys. My task was to find their current owners and assemble them here. Once the first was found”, he nodded once in Eirak’s direction, “locating the others proved easier thanks to a friend of Aniel”. He bowed his head slightly to the elf standing at his side. “Master Eirak was kind enough to remain among us while the rest of you were being fetched. He spent the last year lending his.. ah.. skills to our militia where his help proved invaluable in dealing with local menaces.” He bowed his head again, to Eirak this time. The latter grunted once in acknowledgment of the compliment.

“Let me underscore that, in the Baron’s own words, whoever has a key, no matter how it was acquired, qualifies for the heritage. Thus, no matter the organizations you may represent individually, as far as I am concerned only the persons who produced a key when they arrived will henceforth be considered true heirs of the Baron.”

Seeing his last comment disturbed the young priestess, the mayor quickly added “But you are free to donate your share to whomever you wish.. after you have successfully claimed it, of course.”

Eirak snorted. “In yer dreams..”

Kalveig coughed loudly and shot a reproachful glance at the dwarf. The latter gave him a defying look underscored by running his thumb along the edge of his axe’s blade.

The halfling tensed like a rabbit about to walk into a trap and blurted out “WhatoftheBaron?” After which he turned red, as if he had just been scolded.

Everyone blinked and looked at him interrogatively until Pelrind interjected. “Methink our shy friend wishes to know why the new Baron hasn’t claimed the inheritance for himself.”

Musadoc nodded twice in quick succession, still red as a tomato.

The mayor’s face clouded. “Because there isn’t a new Baron. That’s the whole problem.”

The others all turned back to him, visibly waiting for an explanation. Kel Varnsen sighed, as if he was loath to talk about it, but then launched into the sad story.

It had begun in the days before the Cataclysm. A young knight named Kragor NeMoren had been fighting to secure the Northern Marches of Pellham (2) in a region that bordered the extreme southwestern frontier of Suress. Humanoid incursions from the nearby Wyrmsteeth Mountains threatened the whole area and, to the humans, the infuriating thing was that the elves stubbornly refused to collaborate in dealing with the problem.

This went on for years till, one fateful day, as he was leading a patrol deeper than usual in enemy territory, Kragor intercepted humanoid raiders who had captured an elven woman. He succeeded in freeing the prisoner and escorted her back to the Suressian border. It was only there that he learnt he had freed the elven King’s wife. As recompense, he received the unconditional support of the elven forces. With their help, he managed to completely secure the region after only a few months of intense skirmishing.

Pellham’s High King showed his appreciation by elevating him to the rank of Baron and awarding him all the lands he had fought in defense of. As for the elven King, he named Kragor officially elf-friend and granted him (and his descendants) the right to lumber a certain number of trees every year in a specific area just beyond the Suressian border. Since those trees all belonged to rare species usually unavailable to humans, Kragor became rich virtually overnight as several guilds outbid each others in order to secure an exclusive trade agreement for the ‘special’ wood.

Knowing his lands were still wild and needed to be tamed, the new Baron wisely turned logging (not only of the elven trees but also of the barony’s forests) into a local industry. Ground cleared by the lumberjacks proved very fertile, allowing the development of small settlements of farmers that quickly prospered. Still, Kragor always strove to maintain good relationships with his elven neighbors and even invited druids to settle in his Barony to insure the forest wouldn’t be overexploited.

As he grew old and rich, he realized his family needed not only a residence but also something to protect their fortune. So, he hired dwarven artisans to build him an underground vault that would be impervious to all thieves and then raised a manor on top of it.

Throughout the centuries, his descendants ruled the barony justly and wisely despite the Cataclysm and the tragic events that followed (3). They were among the first native nobles to take an oath of allegiance to the Drachen king and the latter, recognizing the barony for the steady source of income that it was, shrewdly left the NeMorens in charge of it. And each new Baron added to the wealth stored in the now-infamous NeMoren’s Vault...

Then, about 40 years ago, young Paytro NeMoren became the new Baron of Westwood. Shortly after succeeding his father, he wed a local girl named Amelia. Alas, tragedy struck. Not a month after the wedding, the Baron’s wife was apparently abducted by brigands while on her way to visit her parents, and her escort brutally slaughtered.

According to the locals, the Baron’s heart died that day, and so he exiled himself to his family’s mansion and the life of a recluse, keeping only two servants for company till his death in 397 AC.

As the mayor was finishing his summary of past events, Eirak cut in with an amused comment. “C’mon Varnsen, tell them about the ‘curse’ too. It’s worth a good laugh.”

Kel Varnsen threw him a horrified look before answering. “Please master Eirak, do not jest about it. To us, it is very real. You see, friends, as our liege went into self-imposed exile things around here slowly.. degenerated. First, there was the plague that struck Weston but a few years after the Baroness’ abduction. A third of the village’s population died from it and some still catch it these days! Those that were left tried to restore prosperity to what had been their home for generations but nothing worked. It was as if a pall of ill luck had been cast over Weston.

The loggers’ guild was the first to go. It moved to Hollobrae. Then, the local temple closed, its priest having died from the plague, and none was sent to replace him. Finally, people started to disappear.”

“Disappear? How so?” interrupted Kalveig.

The mayor shrugged helplessly. “All that is known is that someone disappears about once every four months. At first, people thought the missing folks had just given up and left but when they failed to show up in the other villages of the barony, we grew concerned. Yet, the militia failed to uncover any evidence of wrongdoing.

Of course, it didn’t take long for people all over the barony to associate the problems of Weston with the situation of the Baron. Some started to whisper he had offended the gods in some way and had been cursed in return, curse that affected the villagers too since they lived in close proximity to his manor. That caused some of them to flee to other parts of the barony, or even the kingdom, in hope that distance would be enough to avert doom.

The end result is that a once-thriving community has been reduced to less than a hundred souls all hiding in fear as soon as the night comes and praying they won’t be next. Still, they refuse to leave. Their families have lived here for so long in peace and prosperity that they simply can’t admit the need to relocate. How long that will last, I don’t know but I fear this place is bound to become a ghost town sooner or later.”

“And what of the new Baron?” asked Pelrind.

“Well.. you see, Baron Paytro insisted on the need to cremate his body right after his death and-”

“Cremation? That old custom? (4) That’s highly unusual these days, no?” interjected Siubhan.

“Yes and no” answered the mayor. “Many natives of our barony still honor the old ways. Even so, no NeMoren had been cremated in living memory. Thus, it surprised quite a few people, most of all the King’s men who arrived too late to see his remains and accept trust of the barony on the King’s behalf. From what I understand, it made dissolving the NeMoren’s baronage more.. problematic. The matter has been dragging for more than two years now, though I suspect the Orgothian invasion of 398 AC and the failed coup last year had something to do with the King’s inability to devote time to it.

To make matters worse, there is the added problem of the annual elven woodcutting. It always takes place during fall. Baron Paytro died in the early winter 397 AC, after that year’s yield had been secured. At first, it seems the Suressian authorities weren’t aware of it, so the event took place as usual in 398 AC. Last year, however, the lumberjacks who tried to cross the border found themselves face to face with a full company of the Forest Ghost battalion whose officers calmly yet coldly informed them that unless a new NeMoren became Baron, no more wood would be cut on their territory.

Apparently, it has something to do with a ring Kragor NeMoren received from the elven King. Trouble is: no one knows where that ring is. Baron Paytro didn’t have it on him when he died. We know for sure he had it once because some old folks remember seeing him wearing it on the day he became Baron. Some think he may have given it to his bride as a wedding gift.. in which case it disappeared along with the Baroness when the latter was abducted. Even if the ring could be found, Aniel tells me it would be of no use unless there was a NeMoren to wear it.”

“My E’ith Braeh(5) cousin speaks the truth” announced Pelrind. “I know of such items, rare as they may be. They are keyed to the blood of those who receive them - a singular honor by the way. Anyone could wear it, but only blood-relatives of the late Baron would be able to unlock its powers.” He added, as if in warning, “And any elven mage could tell instantly the difference if deception was attempted.”

“So, even if the baroness had somehow survived all these years and was found wearing the ring, it would us do no good?” asked the mayor.

“That assessment is correct” responded Pelrind. “Recovering the ring and giving it to whomever the King nominates as new Baron wouldn’t work either.”

The mayor groaned. “It’s even worse than I thought. The loggers’ guild filed a formal protest to the Lord High Chancellor (6) but now I doubt it will solve anything” he lamented, with much wringing of hands.

Kalveig narrowed his eyes suspiciously. “Mayor Varnsen, you are still holding back something. I can feel it. What is it?”

Kel Varnsen looked at him in surprise before replying sheepishly “Ahrm.. I may have accidentally omitted to mention that the loggers’ guildmaster, Aberwell Tegman, is the last living relative of Baroness Amelia. Her nephew to be precise. That’s why he vindicates his rights to the annual woodcutting in Suress. You have to understand that the barony’s prosperity has always been tied to the guild. If they can’t gain access to the elven trees anymore, they stand to lose much money. Possibly be ruined. And thus, so will we...”

“Ye mean yer village will, don’t ye?” added Eirak sarcastically.

The mayor blushed with shame but didn’t deny his assertion.

“Bah! T’is none o’ our business anyhow. Get to the bloody point and tell us how much money this heritage is worth!"

“Master dwarf!” shouted out Kalveig. “Please be so kind as to show some respect for these folks’ plight. We are not vultures about to tear a corpse!”

Eirak shot him a dangerous look. “The name be Eirak, boy. I dinna like the way you say ‘dwarf’. And I’ll say whatever I want ‘cause there ain’t anyone here capable of makin’ me shut me trap.. though ye’re welcome to try.” He grinned evilly and started to get up.

“I know Kragor, he is a good man if a bit pig-headed.”

Everyone turned to Musadoc, astonished at what he had just said.

“Er.. I mean, he knows.. er, no! We.. er.. no, that’s not it either.” The halfling turned a deep red and seemed to sink into his chair. “What I meant is that I know someone who kne.. er.. heard of him.” Seeing the others were still looking at him incredulously, he quickly added “He was a Warden (7), wasn’t he?”

The mayor raised an eyebrow. “Why, yes, he was. The NeMoren family was always extremely devoted to the Earth-Mother. From what I understand, the dwarves who built the vault for them even added a chapel that is rumored to be a work of art and-”

“WHAT!?” exclaimed Eirak. He swore loudly.

Kalveig looked ready to knock him senseless while Siubhan blushed. Musadoc, Kel Varnsen and Aniel cringed in unison. As for Pelrind, he shook his head sadly.

“Please master Eirak, calm down!” begged the mayor. “My apologies for wasting your time with our problems. You are right. It is no concern of yours. I promise I will get down to the heart of the matter now.. if you could just sit down first.. please?”

The dwarf grumbled but complied. Since he was looking at the mayor, he didn’t catch Siubhan gazing at him pensively.

Kel Varnsen mopped his brow with a handkerchief nervously before continuing. “This text was penned by Baron Paytro himself before his death. I was told it is a direct message to his heirs.” He broke the seal on the letter, opened it and started to read:

The Last Will and Testament of Paytro NeMoren, Baron of the Westwood region, heir to the NeMoren Manor, and sole survivor of the respected NeMoren bloodline.

Gathered to hear my final words should be four fortunate persons, each possessing a single silver key. How you received this key is unimportant. However you came to possess it, I hope it was given in the spirit that I initially intended: as a reward, as compensation, as a way to lessen my own guilt.

Though of noble birth, in my youth I was a vain and pompous man, and did not live up to the ideals of my station. I have kept a dark secret during my lifetime, and it is a secret that I will take to my grave. My shame was not always easy to hide, and often, I took drastic, necessary steps to protect my image and my good name.

To each of those that suffered so I could live with false dignity, I gave a token: a single silver key. These keys have passed through generations, across borders, and between many hands, I am sure, but at last they have gathered together to fulfill their true purpose.

Hundreds of years ago, my ancestors ruled this resource-rich land. To oversee it, a manor house was constructed, and under the manor house was carved a mighty vault, protecting the vast hoard of our clan. Four special keys were created, all of which are needed to open the vault and reveal the riches within. Those keys were passed down from one generation to the next, until at last they were given to me.

I had hoped to pass the keys on to my heirs - but alas, it was not meant to be. Shortly after my marriage, a curse fell upon my wife, my name, and the good people of Weston. I was to blame for this horrible curse, and I knew that I was unworthy of the treasure that my noble ancestors had gathered. So, sealing the entrance to the vault, and giving away the keys to those I had wronged, I hid away the hoard for as long as I lived...

And now, after my death, Fate has brought the silver keys home - and with them, four deserving souls to reclaim the lost treasure. In the wine cellar, along the north wall, you will find a ten-foot section of wall that does not match the surrounding material. Take sledgehammers to this wall, and behind it you will find the doorway to the NeMoren family vault.

Be forewarned: the vault will not easily yield up its riches. Generations of my family have installed deterrents, and who knows what may have happened to the structure in the many decades since it was sealed. Deep in the vault you will find a room with four evenly spaces keyholes. Insert your keys into the locks to activate the final mechanism, and the vast hoard of the NeMorens will be yours. Perhaps then I will have made amends for the wrongs I have committed. May it convince Maal to allow my soul to rest more peacefully than did my living spirit.

I would request one thing of you. This vault was not only meant to protect our fortune but also to house the earthly remains of our ancestors. Take the treasures; they are yours. But please do not vandalize the tombs. My dead relatives were guilty of no crime. I wish them to enjoy a peaceful afterlife.

Signed, Paytro NeMoren.

A bit shaken by the revelations, the mayor put back the letter on the desk and slowly looked at the four prospective heirs. “Lady and gentlesirs, it is up to you now. Will you accept the inheritance and brave the vault’s perils? Aye or nay?”

“Aye, I would like to see this place dedicated to the one you call the Earth-Mother” answered Pelrind with a smile.

“In the name of the Holy Mother of St-Martha, I humbly accept if it can help bring peace to this troubled man’s soul.” Siubhan bowed her head and began a short prayer for the late Baron.

“As long as there is some digging involved, count me in!” Musadoc was grinning like a child about to receive a gift.

Silence.

Everybody turned to Eirak. The dwarf’s hands clenched convulsively his chair and his face was pale as if he had seen a ghost.

A vault. It had to be a cursed underground vault. Battle-Father, give me strength! Can’t let them see me like this.

When he spoke finally, it was through clenched teeth. “I.. accept.”

(1) Yes, Stone Elves look exactly like Drows.. except the latter are unknown (or are they..) on this world.

(2) In those days, Drachenhold didn’t exist yet. It was the time of the Traladaran kingdom of Pellham, which covered roughly the area of the present-day duchies of Karameikos and Pellham. Back then, Suress was still an independent elven kingdom which held all its neighbors at bay in an effort to remain free of their cultural influence.

(3) Pellham’s last High King was brutally murdered during a civil insurrection that resulted from the Cataclysm. The kingdom existed in a state of anarchy for close to 70 years during which time the Orgothian Empire easily subjugated half of it. Then, the Drachens arrived and conquered what was left, turning it into Drachenhold. Slowly, they expanded its borders again, retaking the lands stolen by the Empire and adding new territories to the East and the North.

(4) During the Third Epoch of the world, the Deceiver tricked Terak (god of war) and Tinel (god of magic) into fighting each other. Both gods died in that fratricidal battle, and from their death arose Mormekar (god of death). Morwyn (goddess of life) gave him her divine spark so that he could bring back the fallen brothers to life. He did so by burning their bodies on a funeral pyre. So, in the old days, many races had adopted the custom of burning their dead to symbolize the hope that they would be reborn to a better life. In the immediate aftermath of the Cataclysm, many abandoned that particular tradition as they felt all hope had fled the world.

(5) “Free Folks” (aka Forest Elves) in the elven language.

(6) High-ranking member of the government in charge of diplomats, officials, royal heralds, and - most importantly - tax collectors.

(7) Wardens are the holy warriors of Rontra (goddess of earth).

Last edited:

Thanediel

First Post
“Arn, no! Must.. suffer.. more” Kalveig’s gaze was almost feverish.

:lol: Now I wish Kal had let me read his background earlier! That’s sooooo like him. The guy just loves to play the underdog or the whipping boy. I can still remember the first campaign where we played together. His character was a diseased beggar! (who still rose up to become a decent master thief). His two favorites heroes ever must be Raistlin and Sturm (of DL fame)

Kalveig looked ready to knock him senseless while Siubhan blushed. Musadoc, Kel Varnsen and Aniel cringed in unison. As for Pelrind, he shook his head sadly.

And that’s putting it mildly. I think the group almost exploded during that first session. Eirak and Kalveig’s players are role-play extremists at times. Both had reasonable (I guess) background reasons for not being on their most friendly behavior but it still took its toll on the team. I could see Siubhan’s player fuming because we were “losing time instead of getting to the xp/gp part” :heh: and Musadoc’s player was totally confused in-between the apparent antagonism between two players and the little messages our DM was handing him out continuously (I presume those were comments from the ghost?). It got worse for a time and then Mort pulled a trick that forced us to stop worrying about backgrounds and start concentrating on our life expectancy :eek:

One question Mort. You wrote that Siubhan’s monastery is ‘St-Martha’ but in my campaign notes I wrote down ‘St-Eilionor’. I just checked and that’s also the name you gave us when we visited the place later. Error?

Last edited:

Mortepierre

First Post
Thanediel said:
I presume those were comments from the ghost?

Correct ;)

I remember Musadoc's player was whispering back "But I can't say that! I'll look stupid!" :lol:

Thanediel said:
One question Mort. You wrote that Siubhan’s monastery is ‘St-Martha’ but in my campaign notes I wrote down ‘St-Eilionor’. I just checked and that’s also the name you gave us when we visited the place later. Error?

For the same reason Siubhan is described as having the Sacred Vow feat while in fact she began the game with Negociator. In one word: retrofitting.

You should know. Your character went through it often enough as we both struggled to find more [Earth] spells for you to cast :\

Remove ads