D&D 5E To MC or not MC? That is the question!

Does your game allow multiclassing or not?

• Multiclassing is a way of life.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Most PCs are multiclassed.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Maybe half the PCs pick up a second class or more.

Votes: 15 12.7%
  • Sometimes a PC will multiclass.

Votes: 46 39.0%
  • It is pretty rare for a PC to multiclass.

Votes: 34 28.8%
  • We don't play with multiclassing (or no one does it anyway).

Votes: 14 11.9%
  • Other. Please explain below.

Votes: 1 0.8%

I don't see anything about the character you mentioned that couldn't be better handled by a class specifically designed to capture the character and playstyle you wanted.
Sure Homebrew is an option but not all table allow it.
I wanted the ability to buff an ally and allow them to make an attack, repositioning of the party when necessary, help action at range.
It also has enough utility with decent spell selection and skills.

Not something that's currently available without multiclassing

If you MC in my game, you never go back to your old class. This has slowed the MC madness by a lot, almost enough to make it non existant. In my two groups (12 players in total, 6 per group) only one is MC.

Wiseblood

Adventurer
Only a few players have decided to multiclass. One because there was no 5e subclass that did it when converting from 3.5e. One because he was converted from PF after a long hiatus. The third chose to multiclass because the class he was in didn’t have much going forward.

At levels 12-20 i didn’t notice if anyone was op.

Iry

Hero
So are you saying their is an optimum mediocre? How would I know if someone were do such? Maybe if they make the absolute median character? Or would we want to calculate the mean or some other statistical average? I don't know how I would even know...
The infamous optimized basketweaver is a great example. Essentially picking a character concept and then optimizing towards being effective at the concept. Even if that concept is strange.

"Having Fun" is a valid thing to min/max. :geek:

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Every game I'm in allows multiclassing.

In one, we have a bunch of people who are more for the play then the system. Use an app to create and level characters. They tend to stay single classed. We did have two people who multiclassed, one (also a fantastic player) who did so quite successfully, and one who's multiclasses cherry-picked nice abilities but didn't come together (in the level range we played) so they were quite far behind the straight-classed characters in the power curve.

Other groups have differing mixes of straight and multiclassed characters. I find that the players who are more likely to be careful enough not to shoot themselves in the foot with it (reasonable system familiarity) would rather have it even if they are planning a straight classed character, and the others don't care. No one is against it.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Since we started playing 5e, multiclassing has been available but so far no one has done it. A couple players have talked about doing so, but never ended up doing so.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
From the responses so far, I am thinking if I allow multiclassing, I would only ban dual-full-caster combos unless you do it from the beginning and keep them equal as you advance.

So, no sorcerer/warlock, no cleric/wizard, etc. unless at 2nd level you take the second class immediately. Then, if the two classes are ever more than 1 level apart, the lower class can no longer advance as the separation represents your decision to focus on the stronger class.

Other multiclass combinations, up to two classes only, and with any degree of difference in level, would be allowed as normal.

I am not sold on it, myself, just something I came up with this evening. What do people think about the idea?

From the responses so far, I am thinking if I allow multiclassing, I would only ban dual-full-caster combos unless you do it from the beginning and keep them equal as you advance.

So, no sorcerer/warlock, no cleric/wizard, etc. unless at 2nd level you take the second class immediately. Then, if the two classes are ever more than 1 level apart, the lower class can no longer advance as the separation represents your decision to focus on the stronger class.

Other multiclass combinations, up to two classes only, and with any degree of difference in level, would be allowed as normal.

I am not sold on it, myself, just something I came up with this evening. What do people think about the idea?
Not a bad idea. I do something different with multiclassing. It works out well at my table but your idea has some merit. You will however have the problem with palylock...

Remove ads