D&D 5E To much 5th edition content?

dave2008

Legend
Again, to me this is clear sign 5E has about run its course. AD&D 2E ran into this will all the splat books and I feel that is just where 5E is now.

I doubt it is in the works, but a 6E in 2024 would be more welcome to me than 5.5E or something.
In case you missed it, they have official committed to a refresh of the core books in 2024. They are going to be doing survey's and playtesting for those books, but they are intended to still be 5e (some may call it 5.5e).

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
Again, to me this is clear sign 5E has about run its course. AD&D 2E ran into this will all the splat books and I feel that is just where 5E is now.

I doubt it is in the works, but a 6E in 2024 would be more welcome to me than 5.5E or something.
It's not even close. In the 2e days TSR would publish the same number of titles in a month that Wizards publishes in a whole year. There are still big gaps in the content released that didn't exist when 2e was done. High level content? All the setting guides etc etc.

HammerMan

Legend
where I think 5e has room to add, I will agree but disagree.

5e is a great system, maybe the 2nd or 3rd best D&D/D20 system ever written. However it has major cracks, some that go to the very foundation. The system needs an overhaul. It needs to be rebuilt using the newest ideas and mix in some of what was taken out from 4e (I could argue maybe some of what was taken out of 2e for 3e+ too).

The reason I find the "ever green" edition so weird is you either stagnate, or you slowly evolve anyway until it isn't the same... once you hit the 'evolved to X level' it is easier to go back and redo everything to fit the new paradigm

HammerMan

Legend
There's no arms and equipment guide equivalent, so I will not allow them to rest yet. The game has woefully few items and magic items.
I want 10 pages of pole arms or it isn't over...

(I kid, the 5e weapons are too generic, you couldn't do it without an overhaul. I would love if weapon choce mattered more and we had 20 PHB choices, then an arms guide with 100 more)

Argyle King

Legend
Too much? Not for me.

However, I do think there are a lot of different versions of material and game rules floating around. As 2024 is bringing an overhaul of the game, I'm hesitant to buy books and rules which appear to be in a state of flux.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Makes me think a lot of you people should just pretend like any books released after Xanathar's Guide just don't exist,
This. Yeah, this. It is pretty much what I do. I've gotten some of the books that I've barely glanced at, and I haven't gotten anything new for over a year. But for the most part the stuff that is coming out seems to have one or two good points, and the rest is meh.

so you can live in that sweet spot of "Just enough" D&D stuff to play 5E forever.
God no! Not this, no to this. While 5E has its charms, I think if they really worked towards utilizing the best ideas/mechanics/etc. from each edition, then it would be the sweet spot for 6E. Of course, who can agree on "the best". 🤷‍♂️

Remove ads