D&D 5E To much 5th edition content?

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
Definitely enough 5e content to play for a lifetime.
I am looking forward to the 5.5 consolidation. It is time.
But here's the rub, do you really think they'll consolidate the books? Launch 5.5 with all the newer stuff into a PHB2 and MM2 and so on? Depending on what they decide they might republish those existing expansion books with the newer stat blocks etc.

Given their track record in this edition of piecemealing content for everyone across the books I'm not so sure.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
But here's the rub, do you really think they'll consolidate the books? Launch 5.5 with all the newer stuff into a PHB2 and MM2 and so on? Depending on what they decide they might republish those existing expansion books with the newer stat blocks etc.

Given their track record in this edition of piecemealing content for everyone across the books I'm not so sure.
Well, they'll do whatever will make them the most money. I don't know what's going on behind the curtain, but to me, offering a half-dozen best-selling books at $X apiece is a more profitable option than offering only one best-selling book at $6X. So I think we can look forward to multiple books.

Last edited:

Vael

Legend
On the matter of official 5e content, there's a few things that I would like:
  • Psionics, a new base class psionicist
  • Dark Sun
  • Higher Tier adventure material
  • An actual way to better integrate MTG and DnD, like making the color pie matter, PCs as planeswalkers, maybe even an MTG ish character class or feats (I know one of the Planeshift articles had planeswalker stuff, but I found it fairly basic. It works, but I feel it could be expanded).

Outside of that ... I'm still hungry for interesting content not on my list. More diverse adventures, interesting campaign settings, more player material. I think 5e needs to push its boundaries a little more. I like how it's done it in adventures (I got the Witchlight adventure for Xmas and am really enjoying reading it and looking forward to more non-combat adventures), but I feel PC material has been very conservative. The Artificer design, to me, was a little too safe, and it's been the only new class. I agree with not having class bloat, but this is too restrictive.

If they our Money, they better do. It is their chance to do it.
Also I really don't know why you are so bitter.
Compared to ADnD or 3e, we have much less clutter and just different piecemealing.

S'mon

Legend
Interesting how much content has entered the game, and how much more has been promised, since I started this thread a year and half ago!

There's been quite the deluge. I'm not happy about the quality level; my son loves dragons but was severely underwhelmed by Fizban's; he thinks the 3PP The Book of Dragons for 5th Edition - Dungeon Masters Guild | DriveThruRPG.com was a lot better, and I'd tend to agree. I recently got Tasha's for £17 on amazon, fine at that price but if I'd paid RRP as I did for Fizban's I'd have been severely underwhelmed. The Essentials Kit was the last WoTC product I bought that seemed worth the money, whereas most of the pre-2018 stuff I have seems decent. By contrast there is a lot of very good 3PP material out there now. WoTC seem to be going from a scarcity model to almost a 2e-style shovelware model; I preferred the former.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Again, to me this is clear sign 5E has about run its course. AD&D 2E ran into this will all the splat books and I feel that is just where 5E is now.

I doubt it is in the works, but a 6E in 2024 would be more welcome to me than 5.5E or something.

Stormonu

Legend
Does feel like they're scraping at this point, and the gift set looks like they're at the consolidation phase.

I've enjoyed a large number of the latest releases to one degree or another, but they don't feel as useful as, say, Xanather's. The adventures even seem to be more piecemeal and barely attached to a central theme.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Speaking personally... I'm only now starting up my Theros game, whose book came out like 2 years ago. Which means I still have two more years past this worth of material WotC's released that I haven't even touched yet. Let alone all the books I passed by heading into Theros. So as far as I'm concerned, there's more than enough material out there to keep going with 5E for four, five, eight more years at least, cause that's like 2 to 4 more potential campaigns worth of books out there to pick from.

I do find it funny that the call 7 years ago was that there wasn't enough 5E material that had been released to use and thus D&D was going to die out... but now 7 years later there's now too much material that has been released and thus D&D is going to die out. Makes me think a lot of you people should just pretend like any books released after Xanathar's Guide just don't exist, so you can live in that sweet spot of "Just enough" D&D stuff to play 5E forever. :D

Remove ads