D&D 5E To much 5th edition content?

And also, as a DM, I'm feeling like the player-facing content is getting spread too thin, with a subclass here and a race over there. It's hard to keep track of it all, both in terms of letting my players know what's available and also having to remember where they got a particular thing from. I guess that's why AL has its PHB +1 rule.
A compendium might be a good idea. But you know this is already available for those of us who bought digitally. FG, DDB and I assume Roll20 already have them built right in. One of the advantages to digital, all I do is chose which sources to allow my player to load, and then they have all the options in a single list from those I allow.

R_J_K75

Legend
I was just kind of thinking this myself today reading about the upcoming Reality RP and the assumption that the next book is going to be Icewind Dale. Neither really interest me. I think that it is the type of content that's being put out for 5E that is starting to lose my interest. I want something new and cant articulate it but would know it if I saw it. With the whole live streaming, VTT's, and now this Reality RP (whatever that is), makes me feel like the Table Top portion of TTRPG is slowly being removed from the game.

Retreater

Legend
I can always use more adventures and monsters. However there are a few rules additions I really need before 5e feels complete and like a "desert island" game (like something I could take with me on quarantine and not need an additional book or game system): tactical rules options, psionics, epic level, good horror rules, sci fi and other genres.

Undrave

Legend
I was just kind of thinking this myself today reading about the upcoming Reality RP and the assumption that the next book is going to be Icewind Dale. Neither really interest me. I think that it is the type of content that's being put out for 5E that is starting to lose my interest. I want something new and cant articulate it but would know it if I saw it. With the whole live streaming, VTT's, and now this Reality RP (whatever that is), makes me feel like the Table Top portion of TTRPG is slowly being removed from the game.

We ARE living through a massive upheaval in terms of public health and all that so options away from a shared space is good in the short run...

R_J_K75

Legend
We ARE living through a massive upheaval in terms of public health and all that so options away from a shared space is good in the short run...

I understand but I've felt like this for quite sometime before COVID started everyone social distancing. But Id be surprised if that doesn't swing that further in that direction for the long term. I'm not on social media and don't follow any live streams or live games so if it wasn't for EN World I would miss out on lots of RPG news.

I would really like a book that has optional “advanced“ material for players and DMs who are interested. I would also like to see more subclasses. I could live with one AP a year though.

darjr

I crit!
And low! How even the slowest of release methods and a newer twist on the release method becomes too much.

WotC should be paying attention to you. Not those asking for more.

What does WotC do when even this model encroaches on product fatigue?

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
And low even the slowest of release methods and a newer twist on the release method becomes too much.

WotC should be paying attention to you. Not those asking for more.

What does WotC do when even this model encroaches on product fatigue?

Depends on whether they have succeeded in setting up a treadmill of new customers. WotC doesn't need everyone to buy everything, if the next generation keeps buying into the cycle.

I don’t think most people are experiencing fatigue from too much material. But from what I hear from friends there is some AP fatigue. There are just too many large adventures that take an average group a year or more to complete. But too few books with subclasses, magic items, advanced rules Options and smaller adventures that can be completed In a couple sessions. My group is really enjoying some of the one and dones by FGG such as the City that Dripped Blood and the Lost Crypt.

Remove ads