D&D 5E To much 5th edition content?

jgsugden

Legend
There are fewer player options for 5E than prior editions, even with recent additions like Wildemount, but plenty of Adventure Paths. Too many. At 16 hours of gaming per level, it usually takes players about a year or two to complete an adventure path with missed sessions, etc.. If you play in 3 games you have time to complete them all. If not.... well, you watch them get spoiled before you can play them.

I'd rather we get fewer adventure paths and more setting books that support a broader range of games - Dark Sun (with psionics), Planescape (with Extraplanar Rules and Spelljamming),a Modern Setting (with alt history modern history that mixes the technology of today with the D&D magic and monsters), etc...

pukunui

Legend
I'd also like to see them really push the boundaries in their adventures with weird and fantastic locations with interesting terrain.

For instance, I feel like the elemental beacons featured in the PotA concept art would've made for much more interesting (and challenging) locations than the cookie cutter dungeons they gave us in the actual adventure. They still seem a bit too stuck on grid-friendly room layouts.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I used to buy all 5e books, but I canceled my pre-order of Wildemount and Theros, due to delay and scarcity of money during the quarantine.

For my part, I also think there's too much long adventure. I wished WotC focused more on 1st-to-10th level, with shorter modules. Then players could enjoy the full length of their mechanical development with the possibility to run more than one adventure/character per year.

I get tired of characters and adventure quickly, and I dont care for high level play. So to me, one character played for 5-6 months, reaching maybe level 7-8 on a maximum of 10 would be the sweet spot. Also, a little less magic in my character options would be nice. I dont need new archetypes that give spells to the few classes that dont have them, on 10000 new variations on how to get advantage on a skill or attack.

Iry

Hero
I would like more fluff content and modules.
I am happy with the amount of crunch, but want it contained like Xanathars and not spread around with a few subclasses and spells here and there.

Reynard

Legend
I have been reading through a bunch of the 3.5 Eberron books and realized how I miss deep setting dives: main setting book then region books and organization books and monster books etc... I know such things are niche and not worth the development resources, but I still miss them. But, on the other hand, I am glad the mechanical glut is gone. As a DM primarily I HATE having to try and keep up with player facing rules bloat and power creep.

Mercurius

Legend
WotC is hardly flooding the market and the paradigm has changed--not only in terms of what you are recommended to buy, but the type of products they're doing. Whereas WotC tried to pull off "everything is core" with 4E, they're taking the opposite approach: "everything is optional." Most books--especially the last couple years--are either story arcs or settings, so explicitly optional.

The minimalist approach of 4 books a year allows for the vast majority of folks to be completists, if they want to ($120-200 a year = $10-17 a month; $20-25 if you want all the accessories). Meaning, you can buy all the D&D books for the price of 2-3 frappuccinos a month.

I started buying everything but have skipped and even sold some story arcs. Now I buy all setting books and pick-and-choose the others, so usually 2-3 of the 4 per year.

If you want to be a completist or have FOMO, but feel overwhelmed by material, I'd suggest having an accessible shelf of the books you are currently using, and then everything else on another "archive" shelf that you can access if so desired.

Remove ads