D&D 5E To much 5th edition content?

dave2008

Legend
I've been saying that there's not enough content coming out for 5th edition..
Your not alone, but there is way more than enough for me and my group.

My opinion is that most of the adventures that came out for 5th edition are either really mediocre or updated versions of old classics. It's really been disappointing so far.
WE don't run published adventures (never have in any edition). I've bought

As for actual content. Xanathar and Volos were good. But we got a few settings book and that's that. I would really like some additional books with monsters, magic items, variant rules, etc. As much as I like fifth edition, it's lack of depth is starting to show and the game is growing stale, hence my interest in other systems right now.
For me and my group, I disagree with about every statement here, but you are free to feel differently of course.

As for you, if you don't have interest in settings books, you shouldn't feel like you're missing out on anything because actual content wasn't released in a while.
No, I've like the setting books - I don't have interest in more settings. Different things. The setting books have had some great content (Theros being a great example). The thing is - it is to much. We just don't use a quarter of the content already. I am the DM and I am interested in each new book, but it get's harder and harder to purchase something I know I am not going to use. Are game style is well established and we are having a blast. We don't need any new rules or options and it will be another 2-3 years before we finish our current campaign and look to role up new characters.

dave2008

Legend
About the only thing I would buy at this point is ADVANCED 5E (fill in those gaps and expand out the rules for the players who want it and don't want to have to do it ourselves).
I would probably buy that, but it would likely never see use. We have our 1 page of house rules and we don't have any more gaps to fill. Who knows, maybe that will change in 3 years when we role up new characters.

dave2008

Legend
I think that it is the type of content that's being put out for 5E that is starting to lose my interest. I
That is not it for me. I am still interested in the content, but I don't have any use for it. I don't need new crunch or a new adventure or a new setting. I am personally interested in them, but I will never use them, so I am feeling less and less interested in buying something I will never use.

dave2008

Legend
I can always use more adventures and monsters.
I don't use published adventures and though I personally love monster books (I buy them for systems I don't even play), I definitely don't need them. I've got more than enough monster and it is too easy improv or create a new one if needed.
tactical rules options,
I would be interested, but definitely don't need them for our game.
psionics,
I've never used them, no need to start now.
epic level,
Gosh there are already a lot of options available for this and I have my own set of rules I'm working on. No way WotC could develop something more my taste than my own work, and of course they have already provided an epic path too.
good horror rules, sci fi and other genres.
We do some one-shots in different genres and I don't personally see the need for more rules, but if you want them I hope you get what you need.

Personally, I don't see the need for new rules from WotC. There is already everything you need out there (a lot of it free) and we can make rules for our group better IMO

dave2008

Legend
I understand but I've felt like this for quite sometime before COVID started everyone social distancing. But Id be surprised if that doesn't swing that further in that direction for the long term. I'm not on social media and don't follow any live streams or live games so if it wasn't for EN World I would miss out on lots of RPG news.
I'm in the same boat generally regarding how I get my info, but I don't mind how they destribute content. However, I don't think for a minute they are abandoning the TTRPG. The point of this thread is that I feel we have more TTRPG content than my group will ever need!

dave2008

Legend
I don’t think most people are experiencing fatigue from too much material. But from what I hear from friends there is some AP fatigue. There are just too many large adventures that take an average group a year or more to complete. But too few books with subclasses, magic items, advanced rules Options and smaller adventures that can be completed In a couple sessions.
I feel that we have more than enough of all of those, that is kinda the point of this thread.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
I'm like several people in the thread.

I think there is a fair amount of content. That said, alot of that content is adventures, which may or may not be useful to you. I think in most cases when people say content they want mechanics, new subclasses, spells etc.

In that regard we've been a bit under-served, going by any previous metric from any previous edition in the last two decades.

I also, like others, dislike the fact that the player facing content is so spread out. This book over here may only have 4 pages of actual useful mechanical content out of 128 etc. I would greatly prefer the compilation book models like a PHB 2 etc, rather than the obvious attempts to get everyone to buy every book by spreading it out. It would also help to keep things organized far better, I'm sure AL people would like that much more and my back would thank you.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases