D&D 5E To much 5th edition content?

I have more content than I need. Is anyone else in the same boat?

I'm in the opposite boat that hopes to sink your boat. :p

I've bought less 5E stuff than any other edition I've played. Vastly less. And yet I've bought almost all the 5E stuff that isn't merchandised stuff or APs (I don't run APs, and none of them except Strahd even seem exciting - I'd have bought that if I wasn't playing it). 2E obviously the creaking shelves behind me show the bounty of too much spending money as kids. 3E, despite not even liking it much, I have huge insane amounts of 3E stuff. 4E I had a lot (though the DDI slowed my spending). 5E? Eh. Less than any other edition because they won't sell me monster books, crunch books, or setting books I actually want (I did get Theros, and it's cool - though could be cooler - I do love the art).

I do feel like 5E puts out too many APs. Obviously I'm biased because I don't play them, but even beyond that, they put out what feels like more than anyone could really use, and they don't put out any shorter adventures at all. I mean, I could definitely have used a few shorter adventures here and there. I don't think I ever ran a D&D campaign of any length where I didn't take a thing or two from Dungeon, for example, and just re-jig it a bit. Sometimes they were really good, but we've only got 3PPs for this here. Which is fine I guess, but it feels a bit weird.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Okay. Great. I will play PF2 instead. Or any other TTRPG instead. Will still keep running 5e.
Hey, whatever floats your boat. :) The folks in Seattle have shown us that the random message board posts of "I'm gonna go play a different game if you don't release more player options!" have not impacted them or their policies in any way over the past 5 years... so if you go play Pathfinder 2, I'm sure they wish you well.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I haven't hit the "too much" point, yet. Of course I'm a bit lackadaisical in my approach to buy the D&D stuff (a big change from how I tried—and failed—to keep up with the Jones's during 3e), and the low volume of products (comparatively) has been a breath of fresh air.

I have the core three, Volo's, Xanathar's, and Mordenkainen's Guides as a matter of course. I have the Starter and Essentials sets and the original DM's Screen (I may get the revised one at some point). Of the setting books, I only have SCAG and Eberron (the others I may pick, but are a low priority). I don't have Acquisitions Inc. due to no interest in the AI web shows (though Pukuni has got me curious in regards for using it outside its silliness), so it's a lower priority than the setting books. I have none of the adventures books—I've traditionally had a difficult time running published adventures, but I may pick up the forthcoming Icewind Dale one, and eventually ToA, GoS, TotYP (with the rest having the least priority—even after AI).

Since I've gotten the books that interest me most, I'm in no real rush to fill in the gaps so I'll pick them up as the fancy hits me to mine them for interesting bits. Still, if WotC puts out something that really piques my interest, I'll prioritize that.

Does anyone have a list of all the player races, classes and archetypes? I think seeing it in list form would definitely help the realization of too little/too much player material.

dave2008

Legend
Does anyone have a list of all the player races, classes and archetypes? I think seeing it in list form would definitely help the realization of too little/too much player material.
I did this, or at least started to, fairly recently. However, it didn't have anything from AI, Wildemount, or Theros. I will see if I can track it down.

dave2008

Legend
I've added an incomplete list to the OP of classess, races, and backgrounds. I will try to update it when I get time.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases