D&D 5E To much 5th edition content?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Bloat generally refers to the PC crunch, not the settings, adventures and monster books. It was the magic items, spells, classes/subclasses and feats.

I don't equate those two. Settings(other than FR and Dark Sun) and campaign adventures are useless to me, but they don't make the game feel bloated at all.

I don't even mind ones that mimic other features. I like the idea that feats are another way to "multiclass" a bit.
Yeah, if Adventures and Settings don't float your goat, there have been only a handful of books in 8 years.

pogre

Legend
I'm not overwhelmed by the number of releases, but I have recently introduced a couple of new people to the game and man! looking at a PHB + Tasha's +Xanathar's is pretty overwhelming. However, I have some veteran players who would like even more player options.

WOTC is always threading the needle. They have done a good job of it for the most part.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Yeah, if Adventures and Settings don't float your goat, there have been only a handful of books in 8 years.
My group and I didn't even leave 3e for 5e until just before the pandemic hit for that reason. There was finally just enough to make it worthwhile to give up all that 3e had to offer and make the switch.

pogre

Legend
My group and I didn't even leave 3e for 5e until just before the pandemic hit for that reason. There was finally just enough to make it worthwhile to give up all that 3e had to offer and make the switch.
Honestly curious - Why didn't your group go with Pathfinder?

teitan

Legend
For the last time, I AM NOT SAYING IT IS BLOAT!!! I AM SAY IT IS HEADING (QUICKLY) IN THAT DIRECTION! Are you even reading my posts?

Since I am not the only one saying or thinking this...

You got? :rolleyes:
Excuse me? I don't think you are even reading my post and your hostility in this matter is inexcusable. You so want me to hear you but you refuse to hear me. You want to be right and stand on top of a soap box and scream me down and roll your eyes but not engage in a friendly discussion. At this point I do not care about your point. I get your point. Your point is now irrelevant because while you are able to have a conversation with another you instead choose to shout ME down? No, not cool man. Not cool at all. You have a good life. For the red screen team, he's now on my ignore list.

Last edited:

We looked at it, but it looked like Pathfinder dialed up the power level of the game and 3e was already too powerful at high levels and my campaigns usually hit 16-20th level by the end. I did grab a few books for some ideas and usable bits.
This is the exact same reason I never went for PF. The power level gets really wonky but we participated in the tests for the D&D next so moving to 5ed was a natural thing to do.

teitan

Legend
This is the exact same reason I never went for PF. The power level gets really wonky but we participated in the tests for the D&D next so moving to 5ed was a natural thing to do.
I didn't jump into Pathfinder either because by the time it came out I was so burnt out on 3.x style D&D that I got anxiety thinking about playing. WHich is ironic because I run a Starfinder campaign now and absolutely love playing it.

I didn't jump into Pathfinder either because by the time it came out I was so burnt out on 3.x style D&D that I got anxiety thinking about playing. WHich is ironic because I run a Starfinder campaign now and absolutely love playing it.
Sci-fy is its own beast. I must admit that with different players, I would try that wagon right now. But my players are neck deep on fantasy style of play. They do like something else once In a while for a few months, but they much prefer fantasy style RPG.

teitan

Legend
Sci-fy is its own beast. I must admit that with different players, I would try that wagon right now. But my players are neck deep on fantasy style of play. They do like something else once In a while for a few months, but they much prefer fantasy style RPG.
What really helped is it is almost an E6 system, the spells cap out at level 6, might be 5, there aren't iterative attacks, it's not a golf bag of weapons (whhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy did they dooooooooooooo that in 3.5????????????? whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy???) It is sleeker in design, slimmed down 3.x. I can even ad hoc on the fly and it doesn't break anything whereas 3.x had a lot of moving parts and they broke easily if you shifted too much.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases