• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E To The Strongest: A 5E War Campaign [CLOSED; OOC]

Thinking about it being bound to a death god would work even better than Great Old One for my concept. He is hired out as a killer and he uses this to introduce powerful people to death. It seems to fit very well. I think I will change the pact.

Great Zoitikos, what have I created.

Is Orcus a Demon Lord in your campaign? Just deciding on a different language as Deep Speech doesn't make sense if I change to Undying Pact. Was thinking Abyssal but only if Orcus is considered a demon. If not a demon then in what language would forbidden texts of Orcus be written?

Jago

Explorer
Is Orcus a Demon Lord in your campaign? Just deciding on a different language as Deep Speech doesn't make sense if I change to Undying Pact. Was thinking Abyssal but only if Orcus is considered a demon. If not a demon then in what language would forbidden texts of Orcus be written?

Orcus is actually the Latin term for Hades/Pluto: he's a God, just like all the other Roman Gods that the Elves worship (Jupiter, Minerva, etc). As a God, his Texts would actually be written in Celestial, as he's still technically a Divine Being of the Heavens.

Thateous

Explorer
Since we're on the topic of Gods, what more can be said about Kora? Symbol, language, etc. In Mercutio's mind he was hand picked and therefore believes himself to be her Champion.

Thateous

Explorer
I also added my stand, which I forgot about, to my character post. Elven Heavy Cavalry unit upgraded with shields and a flail. Not sure if when get into melee the disadvantage imposed on hitting a target within 5ft with a lance would apply but the flail fixes that issue.

Jago

Explorer
Since we're on the topic of Gods, what more can be said about Kora? Symbol, language, etc. In Mercutio's mind he was hand picked and therefore believes himself to be her Champion.

Language is the same: the Gods speak in Celestial. It's not really meant for mortals to hear or understand unless they are somehow touched or Fate-Bound heroes (think of like how Perseus and Zeus, Demigods, had no trouble talking with Mom, Dad, and their Aunts and Uncles). If a God must interact with a Mortal, they generally have a way of being understood, regardless of whether or not the Mortal understands Celestial.

Kora, the wife of Zoitikos, if the Goddess of The Dead, Journeys, and Barriers. She represents the flow of Life from her husband into the eternal sleep of death and therefore the passage of time in many ways. She is actually a rather popular Goddess amongst travelers seeking protection so they don't meet an unfortunate end. Her symbol is the arch of a doorway, usually made of two materials joined in the center (commonly gold and silver, though stone and wood are popular for poorer areas), meant to reflect that most, if not all, journeys begin and end from somewhere, as well as representing the separation between Life and Death.

Kora is fair, but stern. The dead within her realms are judged, punished appropriately, but then generally allowed to do their thing, so to speak. They are, however, bound to the Underworld and never allowed to leave it again. Her followers are often called upon to put down the Undead and make sure they return to where they belong, but she also respects that such creatures have their uses.

She doesn't like people trying to meddle with death, however: It is immutable, so those seeking unnatural means to extend their life or discover immortality can quickly bring down her wrath if discovered.

Worshippers of Kora include soldiers, most travelers, especially merchants, farmers (as she is married to Zoitikos), mages (especially those dealing in Divination, to "See beyond Barriers"), and those who deal with burial rites (naturally). Some Druids worship Kora as well, for she represents the seasons of Autumn and Winter, and therefore is considered a symbol of the natural order of death and then rebirth (usually represented by Zoitikos).

I also added my stand, which I forgot about, to my character post. Elven Heavy Cavalry unit upgraded with shields and a flail. Not sure if when get into melee the disadvantage imposed on hitting a target within 5ft with a lance would apply but the flail fixes that issue.

The Disadvantage is only if the Lance is wielded while dismounted, actually. The Flail would only be useful if you want a Bludgeoning backup weapon.

Orcus is actually the Latin term for Hades/Pluto: he's a God, just like all the other Roman Gods that the Elves worship (Jupiter, Minerva, etc). As a God, his Texts would actually be written in Celestial, as he's still technically a Divine Being of the Heavens.

This is why I asked. I was under the impression that your Orcus was the D&D Orcus. Good to have that clarified. Now would Orcus actually make an undying pact with a mortal or should I switch it to some form of lich avatar of his?

Last edited:

Jago

Explorer
This is why I asked. I was under the impression that your Orcus was the D&D Orcus. Good to have that clarified. Now would Orcus actually make an undying pact with a mortal or should I switch it to some form of lich avatar of his?

I'm fine with you having made a pact with Orcus himself: He is the God of Oaths after all, so that could be really interesting.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads