• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 1E Too much XP (1e D&D)

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Merric is right. That rule doesn't exist in quite so erudite a form as you claim, MitFH. It can be derived by assuming a few things, but that rule was never codified until 3e.

Erm, it's in the original D&D books (Men & Magic) and in Basic D&D (Moldvay) - probably in Holmes as well, but I don't know that version so well.

It just isn't in AD&D 1E.

Cheers!

airwalkrr

Adventurer
...why are you bringing 3e into it? ;)

In fact, there's a lot of AD&D which makes a lot more sense once you compare it to the original game. (And some things that don't, actually).

Cheers!
Maybe you got to the thread late, but someone mentioned earlier in the thread the "1 XP before next level" rule. As far as I knew, this rule wasn't in the game as such until 3e. That was the only reason I mentioned 3e. Now you might be right about Basic or OD&D. But it isn't in AD&D. That was my overall point, trying to steer things back in the right direction by pointing out an edition confusion.

And now back to our regularly scheduled program.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
In fact, there's a lot of AD&D which makes a lot more sense once you compare it to the original game. (And some things that don't, actually).

Cheers!

QFT, this goes double for me.

Going back and reading Chainmail, the 3 LBBs, the supplements, TSR & The Dragon, and then AD&D cleared up a whole lot of difficult to understand rules in that game. Not to mention a POV shift which helped in learning why some of the rules were made in the first place.

Merric is right. That rule doesn't exist in quite so erudite a form as you claim, MitFH. It can be derived by assuming a few things, but that rule was never codified until 3e.
Having read it again (DMG p86) I was wrong on two counts. One is that 1E does not say you actually get capped at 1xp below your second level - only that you can't gain more until you've completed training for your previous levels. The other is that it doesn't actually say you can't gain two levels in a row without adventuring in-between. Those were both, it seems, 2E introductions that I was conflating with 1E rules. But then, like I said, the more important principle in 1E is NOT following the rules - ANYBODY'S rules - it's doing what you prefer for your game.

kitcik

Adventurer
But then, like I said, the more important principle in 1E is NOT following the rules - ANYBODY'S rules - it's doing what you prefer for your game.

Yes, this.

Too many people try to apply 3E standards to 1E.

1E was all about the DM and the players creating the game they wanted to play, just built around a common structure. Basically, it was a bunch of tables and "do what you think is best with them."

That was really the beauty of 1E - a beauty that cannot be fully appreciated by someone who has already played 3E or 4E.

If you ever have the chance, go to Gary Con (formerly Lake Geneva Con) and find out what 1E is really about.

Crothian

First Post
1E was all about the DM and the players creating the game they wanted to play, just built around a common structure. Basically, it was a bunch of tables and "do what you think is best with them."

As a player and DM of 1e I have to say you can totally do this with 3e. With all the options that exist in 3e it is very easy for a DM and his players do what they want with them. I know that's what we did when we played 3e.

kitcik

Adventurer
As a player and DM of 1e I have to say you can totally do this with 3e. With all the options that exist in 3e it is very easy for a DM and his players do what they want with them. I know that's what we did when we played 3e.

I'm sure a really good group could do it, but it's an uphill battle.

With so many interconnected rules and the encouragement of "build planning," every home ruling has the possible outcome of "you just broke what I wanted to do at level 18, now I don't like my character any more."

You need a really good DM and very mature players to play 3E like 1E.

Crothian

First Post
Since I got my answer to the thread I'm happy to have this diverge into other areas.

I'm sure a really good group could do it, but it's an uphill battle.

Actually, less so then with 1e. With 3e the rules systems are a lot more similar with the basic d20 + modifier mechanic.

With so many interconnected rules and the encouragement of "build planning," every home ruling has the possible outcome of "you just broke what I wanted to do at level 18, now I don't like my character any more."

That is just one style of play that I only see on line. The game does not encourage build planning and in fact I've never seen it suggested in any of the core books.

You need a really good DM and very mature players to play 3E like 1E.

I don't care what game you are playing and what style of gaming you are playing. I always suggest having a really good DM and mature players. In fact I doubt I'd want to play without those components.

Remove ads