• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 1E Too much XP (1e D&D)

kitcik

Adventurer
So would comparing D&D with Chess. :cool:

Meh. They are games. They have rules.

When the rules result in a complicated showdown of opposing forces, they suggest planning ahead.

When they are greatly comprised of "trees" and prerequisites, they also suggest planning ahead.

3.zero DMG said:
Allowing PC's access to prestige classes is purely optional and always under the purview of the DM. Even though a few examples can be found below, prestige classes are idiosyncratic to each campaign, and DMs may choose to not allow them or to use them only for NPC's.

Dungeon Masters should use prestige classes as a tool for world-building as well as a reward for achieving high level. They set characters in the milieu and put them in the context of the world.
The original idea of what prestiges classes were/would be was DECIDEDLY different than what they were later treated as/became. It was not until some time after the release of the 3rd Edition rules that WotC realized the value in selling tons of prestige classes and related rules to PLAYERS rather than as DM's tools. Personally, I still consider them DM's world-building tools first and foremost because I've seen the aimless results of just letting the players dive into a kitchen sink.

Last edited:

airwalkrr

Adventurer
The original idea of what prestiges classes were/would be was DECIDEDLY different than what they were later treated as/became. It was not until some time after the release of the 3rd Edition rules that WotC realized the value in selling tons of prestige classes and related rules to PLAYERS rather than as DM's tools. Personally, I still consider them DM's world-building tools first and foremost because I've seen the aimless results of just letting the players dive into a kitchen sink.
And it's a filthy sink too.

Luce

Explorer
I like to allow the players to grow into their role. Have to mention that I am also more of a fluff guy (but not a fluffer :p). If a player tell me he wants his PC to get better at X I will research the PrC I have access to and offer him some possibilities complete with guilds, traveling NPC masters, required quest to join/prove himself. The mechanics are only part of the equation. Even if lets say the temple guards of church of Vecna and Moradin have the taken the same PrC one will be know as The Guardians of Secrets and the other the "Defenders of the Mountain". The players need never know.
There is also no reason not to re-skin an existing PrC to serve your need.
In the DMG we have the Arcane Archer. There is nothing stopping you (as the DM) to create a Rune Thrower, a dwarven axe/light hammer user who uses divine powers. If most of your adventures are underground/close quarters the shorter range is not a disadvantage, and those inflict wounds spells makes for an effective fighter/cleric mix.
The point is PrC are what you make of them. A DM should feel free to make modifications as he feels fit or even completely ignore them.

Remove ads