Too scared to DM!

randomling

First Post
I haven't DMed in ages. Last time I tried seriously to start a campaign, I was stuck in a group of idiots who couldn't deal with a female DM and liked to make life as difficult for their DM as possible. The campaign lasted all of three sessions, and since then I've run only combat-oriented one-shots on very rare occasions. Which, to be fair, are about as far from the game I really want to run as I can get.

I'm now playing in a couple of fantastic groups, and there's one in particular - where the current DMs are S'mon and StalkingBlue - that I would really like to run for, perhaps after the summer when I'm done graduating and back from holiday and so on. I'm terrified of not measuring up, though, for a few reasons:

First reason is that I'm the least experienced gamer in the group, and by a long way the least competent with the rules. In a group like ours where the rules tend to be very important, this does not look like a good prospect.

Second reason is that this is a group with a record of very good DMing: both S'mon and StalkingBlue run fantastic games. I'm not very experienced as a DM, and I'm certainly not as slick as either of them; I'm worried about looking like an idiot in front of a group that's used to really skilled DMs (not to mention at least two people who could run the game fifty times better).

Third reason is that half the group is much much brainier than me.

Fourth reason is that I'm just not confident enough. :\

The solution is probably not to DM for the group - but I have some great ideas that I'd like to play with and I think this group (well most of it!) would take really well to the kind of game I've got in mind. Does anybody have a magic potion of confidence, or failing that, some tips on how to bolster my self esteem, look slick when I'm not sure where to go next, or outwit players with law degrees and PhDs? :eek:

Thanks!

Wombat

First Post
Well, my suggestion is that if you wish to DM for the group, start small. Offer to run a one-shot adventure, maybe of very low level, just as a change of pace for the group.

Not every scenario has to be tricky. Not every session has to be intense. Gaming is about being together with a group of friends as much as anything. I know in my group, although I am the primary GM, all of the players except one have taken a hand at being Behind The Screen at least for a one-shot. And though there might have been a couple of slipped rules or other trivial matters, the group as a whole was very forgiving. The point, again, is to have fun communally.

Each GM is going to have a different style, a different emphasis. Maybe you could set up something as simple as a gladiatoral arena for an afternoon -- characters wouldn't have to worry about motivation as much as survival. Of, if you wanted to run something a little more ambitious without getting deeply involved, try designing a terminal campaign, something that could play out over 2-4 session, with a specific goal.

Law degrees and PhDs mean a lot in their own field, as well I know, but no one is master of everything. Talk to the group. Find what they would like to do that is a little out of the ordinary that you also feel comfortable with as a game setting or as a type of scenario.

Relax. Have fun. Enjoy your friendships. :)

Oh, and you have a very cool picture ;)

Kormydigar

First Post
randomling said:
I haven't DMed in ages. Last time I tried seriously to start a campaign, I was stuck in a group of idiots who couldn't deal with a female DM and liked to make life as difficult for their DM as possible. The campaign lasted all of three sessions, and since then I've run only combat-oriented one-shots on very rare occasions. Which, to be fair, are about as far from the game I really want to run as I can get.

I'm now playing in a couple of fantastic groups, and there's one in particular - where the current DMs are S'mon and StalkingBlue - that I would really like to run for, perhaps after the summer when I'm done graduating and back from holiday and so on. I'm terrified of not measuring up, though, for a few reasons:

First reason is that I'm the least experienced gamer in the group, and by a long way the least competent with the rules. In a group like ours where the rules tend to be very important, this does not look like a good prospect.

Second reason is that this is a group with a record of very good DMing: both S'mon and StalkingBlue run fantastic games. I'm not very experienced as a DM, and I'm certainly not as slick as either of them; I'm worried about looking like an idiot in front of a group that's used to really skilled DMs (not to mention at least two people who could run the game fifty times better).

Third reason is that half the group is much much brainier than me.

The solution is probably not to DM for the group - but I have some great ideas that I'd like to play with and I think this group (well most of it!) would take really well to the kind of game I've got in mind. Does anybody have a magic potion of confidence, or failing that, some tips on how to bolster my self esteem, look slick when I'm not sure where to go next, or outwit players with law degrees and PhDs? :eek:

Thanks!

I say go ahead and run your game. If you know your players well, and it sounds like you do, and you are already friends then go for it. You will never have the chance to get experience as a DM until you try. In my group, I run the vast majority of games but I love the chance to play once in awhile. There were some games run by others that were not the best ever but we had a great time and supported the new DM with advice, and encouragement.As far as outsmarting your players goes , having a degree or not is no measure of savvy gameplay. I have gamed with highschool dropouts and others with no more education than high school who were sharp as a tack and quicker on the uptake than many college grads. Not to say that an education is a bad thing, its just not a complete measure of an intelligent player. Make a commitment to yourself to run a good game and then do it.You could turn out to be an exellent DM with a little bit of experience. :)

Abisashi

First Post
randomling said:

I could tell this from 1,2, and 3 ;) .

randomling said:
... and since then I've run only combat-oriented one-shots on very rare occasions. Which, to be fair, are about as far from the game I really want to run as I can get.

Start out with running a one-shot/mini-campaign that you do want to run. The other people in your group will help you out if you're not sure with the rules, and there is less pressure than in a campaign. Once you feel comfortable running mini-campaigns, run a full campaign - possibly just by extending the mini-campaign.

The best way to become a better DM is to DM.

Last edited:

Bendris Noulg

First Post
Wombat said:
Well, my suggestion is that if you wish to DM for the group, start small. Offer to run a one-shot adventure, maybe of very low level, just as a change of pace for the group.
That about sums up my advice...

Bloodsparrow

First Post
It sounds like you and I are a lot alike. (Other then the past group of Jack-Holes who like to make things hard for their DM... Well... Okay, maybe all those creeps at Con would count for that. :D )

In my group, we take turns running the game and not to long ago I took a shot at it.

I had run before, but a long time ago. They were mostly one shots and in a different system. Most of my group has been playing on and off for 20 years, I've been playing (on and off) for 10. I don't feel I really know the 3.5 rules as well as a DM should... I was very self conscious and not very confident.

But I did it, and I'm glad I did. :)

The guys were very supportive, and while I'm still pretty sure I'm no-where near as good a DM I also know that they have more experience then me and I can only get better.

Advice on how to be a good DM...
I'm not sure if I'm qualified to give pointers. But others have already pointed out the best advice... Just do it.

- Firstly, relax, because you and your friends are here to have fun.
- Secondly, I thought about all the things I liked and disliked about past DMs and did my best to take those things to heart.
- Thirdly, I designated a "Go To" guy for rules. Somebody who was playing that I felt really knew the rules and made sure I could pick his brain.
- Fourthly, I read the DMG, not cover to cover, but I did brush up on certain areas I felt I was lacking in. (Stuff about combat, busting down doors, stacking buffs, setting difficulty, etc.)
- Fifthly, I looked over the weapons and armor lists. This came in handy later when an NPC tried to take an AoO on a PC by slamming a door on him... I didn't think it would really do any damage, just stop him from following the NPC, but I critted. Nobody knew how much damage a door should do, so I decided to call it a heavy club and move on.
- Sixthly, (is that even a word?) don't be afraid to look stuff up during the game if you feel you have to. That's why we all bring our books to the game anyway. :D

Last edited:

Salad Shooter

First Post
Well...if you can't think of massively complex plans that their doctorified minds can't comprehend...go for something so assininely (did I just invent a word?) simple that it ducks beneath them. Also, just because they have PhDs and law degrees don't mean nuttin. That just means they focused on one thing. Unless one of them picked up a PhD in Outsmarting the DM, its just a bunch of letters after their name in a game setting. Sure, it shows at least some intelligence, but its mostly determination. Just go for it. Have fun. If you're having fun, theres a better chance they'll have fun. If you're too afraid about them trouncing you with rules lawyering (another invented word?) Find a system they don't know, read the rules every night before you go to bed, learn them inside and out, and then run in that system. Or just do the same with the D&D rules. You can also simply state before hand that your game will be served with a healthy side of Rule 0. FORGET about the fact that you have some very skilled DMs sitting opposite the table of you. They remember the days when they were first starting out DMing. If that still doens't help, attempt to locate a group of less experienced players and run some games for them (staying with your current group, of course). Just have fun, and do your best to make sure the other players are having fun. If you have questions about the rules, talk to the other DMs before hand, and ask them to maybe give you a bit of support if you stumble. Just remember to have fun, that cannot be stressed enough. Relax, you'll be fine, just get into the game and let your worries slip away. Go for it!

Basically what everyone else has said. The rules will come to you the more you play, and having those that know the rules at the table means that they can help when something comes up that you are not sure about.

One bit of advise is to think of what sort of rules may be in the next adventure and refresh yourself on them and even make a small sheet with major rules that could come up(i.e. if your adventure will be in rocky terrain look over rules on climbing and cover).

Also, don't be afraid to make judgement calls, even if the other DMs in the group say differently. These DMs should know what it is like to make judgement calls without rules to back them up all the time, so they should support you.

Basically just remember this is a game, not something serious, and have fun. Good luck!

Henry

Autoexreginated
Think of it this way, Randomling: Even having never met either of them, I can guarantee you that neither S'mon nor Stalkingblue AT ONE TIME IN THEIR LIVES didn't know a Hit Dice from a Hit Man, and had to look up more than their fair share of rules. :D

Most DM's welcome the chance for a new player to take up the DM'ing reins, because (A) anything that expands the pool of good Game Masters is a good thing, and (B) it's a chance for them to relax a bit and remind themselves why they do this hobby from week to week in the first place. Most established DM's are very forgiving of new referees, and help them in whatever way they possibly can.

I would say GO FOR IT. Take the plunge, get your feet wet, make the mistakes, and have FUN doing it. It's not about running the perfect game - it's about running a fun time for all.

The ONLY thing you have to lose, is a few pencils from all the scribbling you're going to do in preperation for the sessions you run. :)

Good Luck!

Talmun

First Post
Henry said:
Most DM's welcome the chance for a new player to take up the DM'ing reins, because (A) anything that expands the pool of good Game Masters is a good thing, and (B) it's a chance for them to relax a bit and remind themselves why they do this hobby from week to week in the first place. Most established DM's are very forgiving of new referees, and help them in whatever way they possibly can.

I second this whole-heartedly. If your DMs are as good as you say they are (and I'm sure they are) they will have no problem supporting you and helping you along if you need it, and they'll love you for trying (and love you even more if you start running games they can play in). ;)

Remove ads