Too scared to DM!

Thanee

First Post
One other comment: A good rule of thumb if you are not too confident in the rules... less rules more roleplaying!

Not that this is a bad thing... not at all. :)

One girl in our group, when she DM'ed for the first time in D&D, she used a campaign from another system (The Enemy Within - Warhammer FRPG), which she liked a lot when she played it as a player (with the actual RPG not D&D). She didn't have a very good grasp of the rules (altho not a complete rookie as well and also not new to RPG in general) and made up a lot of stuff as it seemed to fit the situation. Some of that was kinda ridiculous, like the Skaven (a race of whimpy ratmen in the Warhammer world with no direct equivalent in D&D) were converted to Ogre Magi (not exactly 'whimpy' *eeek*), but nonetheless it was a lot of fun. It was a campaign full of heroics, humor, adventure, and romance. Even though rules weren't 100% perfect sometimes (which was no problem at all, if she didn't know how to do something, she just asked or just decided based on the situation) I can tell you that this campaign was a hell of a lot of fun. :D

The only thing you really need when DMing is a certain flow... don't let the rules stand in your way and don't try to do everything completely right, it's really not that important to have fun!

It would be a shame if you would let all the great ideas you surely have slip away...

Bye
Thanee

Zappo

Explorer
You should fully expect to make lots of terrible mistakes.
Don't worry too much about it.
Just play.
After the game, identify the mistakes and avoid them next time.
Loop.

The best way to get good quickly at something is to recognize what you're doing wrong as soon as possible, and never just assume that you're doing something right.
It gets more difficult as you get better; mistakes are like targets, the bigger the easier to shoot.

milotha

First Post
GMing isn't easy, but you'll never learn if you don't try. The only way to learn here is to jump in feet first. Keep your eyes open and view it as a learning experience. Expect to make mistakes, but don't worry too much about it. Just try to focus on letting the players have fun, but don't be overly lax and permissive. Don't worry too much about pedantic adherence to the rules. It's your game. The rules are a suggested guide line. Be firm as the GM about your rulings you make, but be receptive to the players intentions and fun-factor. Know your players. If you can do that, you'll have a good campaign. The rest is just fluff.

I'd recommend checking out Robin's Laws of Good Game Mastering, I think it's called. It's a really helpful book for GMs both experienced and inexperienced.

takyris

First Post
Ditto the others. The GM doesn't have to know all the rules by heart. If you're going to be running something where you know that Stinking Cloud will be used, look up Stinking Cloud beforehand. Have a good grasp on what your NPCs can do. Don't be afraid to say, "Okay, now, how does grappling work again?" These don't sound like people who are going to mock you for not knowing the rules.

And if you need to feel like you're in charge, order them around. That's what I do. "Bob, you're not up for a minute or so. I need you to look up the rules for Turning Undead and see what level of cover enables the undead to ignore or get a bonus against turn attempts."

It's a game. It's meant to be fun. Have fun with it.

masque

First Post
randomling said:
I haven't DMed in ages. Last time I tried seriously to start a campaign, I was stuck in a group of idiots who couldn't deal with a female DM and liked to make life as difficult for their DM as possible.

First reason is that I'm the least experienced gamer in the group.

Second reason is that this is a group with a record of very good DMing.

Third reason is that half the group is much much brainier than me.

Fourth reason is that I'm just not confident enough. :\

... or outwit players with law degrees and PhDs? :eek:

Wow. We must be like karmic twins. :uhoh: My new group is approximately four years older than me (makes more difference than it otherwise would since I'm still undergrad), all male, and have been friends for years. They're tactical geniuses with the game, and include a lawyer, a rules lawyer/game balance monkey, and an arrogant bastard/usual DM (in a less than negative way). They know all the rules, and milk every advantage out of them while fully expecting the DM to do the same and valuing the challenge more than the victory. They can figure out practically any plot if you give more than the absolute barest of clues (any less and there would be no information given at all).

I've technically been gaming about the same length of time, but I'm really scared of DMing for them, especially since they have a very competitive dynamic. Which is very intimidating because my personal communication style is much more... retiring... than theirs. Regardless, the usual DM's been pushing me to run a campaign.

I don't have much to add to the advice, but I'd like to thank everyone for their advice. Especially about doing a one-shot first.

Bloodsparrow

First Post
Ah yes, one other thing. The High-Adventure Swashbuckling sort of situation describe makes me want to suggest Castle Falkenstine for a setting if you're not attached to D&D.

tonym

First Post
Consider giving the Players a hand-out, like a wanted poster, map, letter, etc. Everybody loves getting a prop.

A prop automatically makes you a good DM in every Player's eyes for at least one entire session.

:)

Tony

S'mon

Legend
Hi Randomling - looking forward to playing in your swashbuckling game! :)
Seems like lots of good advice here (other than re the lack of value of PhDs in law...) :p

BTW if you want to use d20 I believe there's a "Seventh Sea d20" which looks like it has good 'crunch' stuff in it, although the world itself is kinda lame IMO - 18th century pirates with no Americas/Caribbean is odd. I think using your own homebrew might work better.
I agree d20 rules is rather complex for a swashbuckling game, esp the minis-based combat, so if you're comfy with using different (simpler?) rules system that might be an idea, or maybe d20 w/out minis and don't worry about 5' steps, tactical positioning etc. Some of the Conan rules like Fate Points & the Pirate class might fit a swashbuckling game, although the combat rules are a bit complex where armour is involved - you could set the game in an era with gunpowder & no armour, though. I have Avalanche Press's 'Pirates of the Caribbean', which aims to be an historical sourcebook - lots of scurvy & amputations, you could check it for ideas.

I agree that ordering players to help the GM by looking up rules, tracking initiative etc is a good idea, I do it a lot. :)
I wouldn't worry about knowing everything - one of my GMing secrets in 3e is that I no longer expect to know all the rules, I just relax & do my best, I'm prepared to look stuff up if it seems important. Stalkingblue & me make lots of errors, too - it's not important.
The mentor idea sounds promising - SB & me could certainly offer support as needed - but I expect your game would emphasise roleplay over rollplay - a good thing IMO - so I doubt much would be needed.

StalkingBlue

First Post
randomling said:
...I'm now playing in a couple of fantastic groups, and there's one in particular - where the current DMs are S'mon and StalkingBlue - that I would really like to run for, perhaps after the summer when I'm done graduating and back from holiday and so on.

Hiya randomling, good to hear your game plans are still alive and kicking! :) S'mon's already said much (accursed early risers :p ), so let me just add some random sleep-muddled thoughts...

randomling said:
I'm terrified of not measuring up, though, for a few reasons:

Erm, being terrified is normal. Going ahead regardless is what makes the hero! ;)

randomling said:
First reason is that I'm the least experienced gamer in the group, and by a long way the least competent with the rules. In a group like ours where the rules tend to be very important, this does not look like a good prospect.

Hm, seeing you play I'd say you're probably brilliant at the roles, which is what matters most.

As to rules, no one knows all the rules in DnD, and whoever claims otherwise is a bloody liar. You can always get help looking stuff up when you need it.

Personally for a first game I'd probably lean towards running a rules system the group is already sorta familiar with, for two reasons:
First, it will enable me to employ a reasonable, supportive person with strong rules fu as a rules assistant - i.e. get them to look stuff up while I continue to run the scene where possible.
Second, it'll allow players to relax into the game more quickly because they already have one set of circumstances (namely, the rules) that they are familiar with and that gives them confidence. DMs aren't the only ones who have to find their footing in a new game!

Neither of these reasons is valid of course if you're facing a group who's in an out-to-get-DM stance. For those guys, I'd say laugh them in the face and go get a better group. Which is pretty much what you've been doing anyway!

randomling said:
Second reason is that this is a group with a record of very good DMing: both S'mon and StalkingBlue run fantastic games.

Er... um... :eek: Thanks. :eek:

randomling said:
I'm not very experienced as a DM, and I'm certainly not as slick as either of them; I'm worried about looking like an idiot in front of a group that's used to really skilled DMs (not to mention at least two people who could run the game fifty times better).

That's stage fright. Perfectly normal to feel that way. And pretty tough, and pretty important to go ahead anyway!

I don't know about games fifty times better or anything like that - OTOH I do know there's _at least_ two people in the group eager for you to run your game! Yup, exactly. The two Scary DMs.

randomling said:
Third reason is that half the group is much much brainier than me.

??
Heh. Nope.

randomling said:
Fourth reason is that I'm just not confident enough. :\

Oh but you are. You just don't know it yet. :)

randomling said:
The solution is probably not to DM for the group

Noooo! If there's any group you want to DM for it's us. Yes? Yes? :heh:

randomling said:
- but I have some great ideas that I'd like to play with and I think this group (well most of it!) would take really well to the kind of game I've got in mind.

randomling said:
Does anybody have a magic potion of confidence,

You're the DM. You just gotta say you've got one and voilà: potion of Confidence!
Seriously. Strength is inside you. You'll find it.

randomling said:
or failing that, some tips on how to bolster my self esteem, look slick when I'm not sure where to go next, or outwit players with law degrees and PhDs? :eek:
Thanks!

Hm, I sure don't look slick all the time. I have off moments, and whole off nights! So I'm sure does everyone. The wisest bit of advice I've seen in this respect is from Henry on these boards: As a DM your job isn't to run a perfect game. Your job is merely to provide an opportunity for fun and entertainment.

If you don't know where to go next it is always ok to take a two-minute break. Get fresh tea, wander to the bathroom, check your notes, send people outdoors to smoke (too bad we're all non-smokers!) - or just sit there and smile and say you've got to think for a bit. It's bound to happen if you give players real freedom in your game, and all players who value freedom will understand they have to let you breathe sometimes to catch up with them when they surprise you!

And generally speaking, I don't know anything better for my self-esteeem than doing something I'm terrified of and realise that despite appearances I can do it! So go ahead, run that damn game. :)
Er, wait. No. I take that back. First take those pesky exams and then run the damn game.

StalkingBlue

First Post
randomling said:
They get to play in each other's games. One of the reasons I'm eager (and scared too!) to run for this group is that it'd give them a chance to play together. I've experienced them both as players and I'd be really interested to see what they're like as a team.

Yay! I'd love that. :cool:

randomling said:
To clarify a bit, the game I want to run would be a high-swashbuckling, probably piratical campaign - think Pirates of the Carribean D20, with marauding seafaring orcs, merfolk and sirens, enchanted undersea caves, vanishing-and-reappearing islands, and cursed ships. Part of my worry is that "ordinary D&D" doesn't fit this style of game very well as a ruleset and reworking the rules would be interesting at best. I may steal some Conan ideas - I certainly like the Conan magic system better than standard D&D 3.5 for this kind of game.

Any more pointers? :)

Ah ok, in that case scratch my comments on familiar rules systems. :) Although you could maybe use Conan rules and have an all-pirate party or something. And of course as always ignore me if my ramblings don't make sense...

Remove ads