Too scared to DM!

randomling

First Post
Thanks, everbody - paticularly S'mon and StalkingBlue. It's good to know you're both keen to play in my game! :D

Further details guys - though I should start a thread on my boards really - it will be a homebrew, an archipelago-type setting called the Hundred Isles. Not 100% decided on the rules yet, but I've got a borrowed copy of Swashbuckling Adventures (Seventh Sea d20) and S'mon's copy of Conan. :eek: (Give that back on Thursday, I will!) Between those two, I should be able to come up with something fairly serviceable.

(It's a monotheistic setting with some "fringe deities" so I want divine, druidic and voodoo magic with different flavours to them. Plus probably fey magics which will be different again.)

S'mon

Legend
StalkingBlue said:
If you don't know where to go next it is always ok to take a two-minute break. Get fresh tea, wander to the bathroom...

:) This is a trick I use a lot too - getting a drink, pizza slice or bathroom break is a great opportunity to think things over for a couple of minutes & re-enter the game refreshed, revitalised and ready to go! :cool:

S'mon

Legend
randomling said:
Thanks, everbody - paticularly S'mon and StalkingBlue. It's good to know you're both keen to play in my game! :D

Further details guys - though I should start a thread on my boards really - it will be a homebrew, an archipelago-type setting called the Hundred Isles. Not 100% decided on the rules yet, but I've got a borrowed copy of Swashbuckling Adventures (Seventh Sea d20) and S'mon's copy of Conan. :eek: (Give that back on Thursday, I will!) Between those two, I should be able to come up with something fairly serviceable.

(It's a monotheistic setting with some "fringe deities" so I want divine, druidic and voodoo magic with different flavours to them. Plus probably fey magics which will be different again.)

Sounds great! :) I'd certainly like a chance to play d20 on the same side of the table as Stalkingblue, a great player IMO. & it would also be nice to play in a setting a little less grim & lethal than Midnight... :p

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Random,
You've had some excellent advice here and have players who will do everything they can to help you out. I've read what you'd previously posted regarding your solo play-by-post game and from that I can say that have what is needed to be a good DM. As my group's primary DM I'm thrilled whenever any of the players decides to run a game. Sure, every DM has a different style, but that's what helps keep a group fresh and fun. So go for it.
SM

Last edited:

robberbaron

First Post
What everyone else said.

I think every player should have a go at GMing.
If they turn out good then we have another GM, if they don't like it or (and it can happen) suck at it, then at least they've given it a go, and that's all we can ask of them.

StalkingBlue

First Post
S'mon said:
Sounds great! :) I'd certainly like a chance to play d20 on the same side of the table as Stalkingblue, a great player IMO.

Thanks! Likewise. :)

S'mon said:
& it would also be nice to play in a setting a little less grim & lethal than Midnight... :p

Yeah, sure. A sunny, lighthearted and nonlethal one. Sorta like the Borderlands?!... :uhoh: :p

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
My advice is this: Don't worry about being slick and rules-savvy. I've DM'd all editions of D&D over the last 19 years, and I still don't know all the rules. What's more important is the ability to weave a story, keep them interested, and keep them entertained. A one shot game would be a good idea to test the waters, but leave a couple of threads hanging to make them want more.

I've read your posts, been to your own messageboards, and from what I've read you'll do just fine. Just be careful using Swashbuckling. Some of the feats in that book are overpowered and just plain broken!

Last edited:

randomling

First Post
StalkingBlue said:
Yeah, sure. A sunny, lighthearted and nonlethal one. Sorta like the Borderlands?!... :uhoh: :p
Don't get your hopes up on that count - where would be the fun in a setting where you couldn't die? :p The general atmosphere will be heroic-fantasy-ish and probably somewhat less odds-against-the-PCs than Midnight, and I'm certainly hoping for a more lighthearted atmosphere. Though I don't think "sunny" is quite the word, and "nonlethal" certainly won't be if you get in with/across the wrong crowds...

DM Cal - yeah, I was looking at Swashbuckling Adventures and some of the things in there are really powerful. Jeepers! I like the flavour of the Witch and am likely to keep it in but it'll have to be heavily modified. Not that it's necessarily overpowered, but the mechanics are just way too complicated. (Prepared AND spontaneous casting? WTF?)

But there's going to be a House Rules thread for that...

Remove ads