Too scared to DM!

randomling

First Post
Talmun said:
I second this whole-heartedly. If your DMs are as good as you say they are (and I'm sure they are) they will have no problem supporting you and helping you along if you need it, and they'll love you for trying (and love you even more if you start running games they can play in). ;)
They get to play in each other's games. One of the reasons I'm eager (and scared too!) to run for this group is that it'd give them a chance to play together. I've experienced them both as players and I'd be really interested to see what they're like as a team.

Thanks for the comments so far everyone. :D

To clarify a bit, the game I want to run would be a high-swashbuckling, probably piratical campaign - think Pirates of the Carribean D20, with marauding seafaring orcs, merfolk and sirens, enchanted undersea caves, vanishing-and-reappearing islands, and cursed ships. Part of my worry is that "ordinary D&D" doesn't fit this style of game very well as a ruleset and reworking the rules would be interesting at best. I may steal some Conan ideas - I certainly like the Conan magic system better than standard D&D 3.5 for this kind of game.

Any more pointers? :)

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
randomling said:
Does anybody have a magic potion of confidence,
Anger. Failing that, alcohol.
Not sure if I'd seriously recommend either, though. ;)
randomling said:
or failing that, some tips on how to bolster my self esteem,
I assume the people you are gaming with are friends, or at least friendly acquaintances?
You don't have anything to prove to them, don't worry. :) And even if you aren't satisfied with your work, you'll at the very least have learned something that will make it easier next time.
randomling said:
look slick when I'm not sure where to go next,
A few things:

Preparation. Make sure you have a few aces up your sleeve before starting the session. Then pull them out when needed.
That is, create some NPCs, monsters, locations, etc. that might come in handy later. Both general ones (guards, taverns, raiders) and well-detailed specific ones relevant to the campaign (and possibly even plot at hand) are handy to have.

When plotting, don't place plot-relevant things - even minor ones - in a vaccum in your mind. If you know not only what a group of NPCs is going to do, but also why they are going to do it, you can tell more easily how they'll adapt to specific situations, to what lengths they'll go to achieve the goal, what they are willing to risk, and so on. The same goes for NPCs' knowledge - always know what your NPCs know, so you can have them act accordingly and can instantly decide what information PCs can gain by interrogating them.
This goes for the big picture as well. If the PCs manage to completely thwart a nefarious scheme that you thought they could only unravel in part, knowing the personality, motivations and knowledge of the mastermind behind it makes it easier to decide on his next step.

That said, when it'd be more useful, feel free to change anything that hasn't been presented to the PCs yet, even if it's just sitting right behind the next corner.
'More useful', in this context, doesn't mean you should punish PCs for being creative, nor bail them out of any mess they get themselves into. Rather, it means that if something helps keep the game moving (or interesting) but didn't occur to you previously, feel free to use it if you think it's better than your old plan. Often such changes are prompted by PC actions, of course.
Also, when making such changes on the fly, knowing the big picture well (see above) makes it easier to figure out the ramifications (if any) of the change.

If you have no idea, nor anything to fall back on, you obviously need to make stuff up, which isn't always easy. So it's generally in your interest to keep it simple.
If you can pull it off, shamelessly rip off some movie, novel or other story. But try to pick one of a different genre and preferably one that's not too well-known among your group. Unlikely candidates are often more useful than too obvious ones; I could run games for months if not years drawing on little else besides Yu-Gi-Oh (especially if my players are not too familiar with it).
Of course, making some creative changes goes a long way to making a story your own.
Anyway - again, when improvising, keep it simple. Unless you can pull off something truly outlandish, that is, though this sort of inspiration can't usually be counted on to suddenly appear when it's needed.

Lastly, if all else fails, call for a short break to think things through.
randomling said:
or outwit players with law degrees and PhDs? :eek:
Make it easy for them to inadvertantly act on incomplete or false facts; also, get them to act on emotion rather than logic. (Especially overconfidence. Pride goeth before the fall and all that. Fear, when available, is good too. Greed can work sometimes, especially when someone offers them magic items for a low, low price - or, and often more effectively, offers to power up existing items if they hand them over for a few days.)

E.g.:

Have NPCs give them fake evidence (intentionally or not).

Play to their self-confidence by making things easy at first. Throw them some tricks that are easy to look through. (That is, have the enemy do it, of course.) Make them overconfident enough to become incautious.

Use illusions or at least disguises. Make the strong seem weak (an ogre that's looking like a devourer or iron golem) and vice versa (a bunch of demons and their orc lackeys - except that one of the orcs is actually an even more powerful demon using magic to look like an orc). Make them waste spells and ammunition on things that aren't really there (mirror images or other illusions) or not what they appear (a spellcaster attacking from behind a tree that, thanks to illusion magic, is looking like a spellcasting devil). Don't overdo it, though; you don't want your PCs to become so cautious that they pause every 5 minutes to check for illusions, etc.

Create situations that all require different approaches for the best chance of success; don't let them get away with using the same tactics over and over.

Heh. But don't forget to reward your players and don't constantly trick them. Instead, use the above and other tactics to create situations that are deliberately designed to be nasty tricks yet relatively fair and easy to win. This makes your players feel less hosed and is only fair if you put them through all this. (Also, the more they trust you, the easier it is to trick them later. :D)

Crothian

First Post
Randoling, a good group, of people with except you as the DM and help you. I know S'mon will be supportive and Stalkingblue seems like she would be also.

Start small and simple. Focus on their characters and let them do the hard work. With good players that have good characters the game almost runs itself.

ackron

First Post
I just have one thing to add to everything else, and that is:
TRUST THE GAME

While RPGs are at there best with a super GM, it is easy to forget when you are behind the screen is that just playing in one is a whole lot of fun. Unless you are playing with complete jerks, everyone is going to have a blast even if you do a mediocre job. Don't expect to blow them away your first time out, but rest assured that if they like RPGs in general (and I am sure they do) they will have fun even it you mess up.

Henry

Autoexreginated
randomling said:
To clarify a bit, the game I want to run would be a high-swashbuckling, probably piratical campaign - think Pirates of the Carribean D20, with marauding seafaring orcs, merfolk and sirens, enchanted undersea caves, vanishing-and-reappearing islands, and cursed ships. Part of my worry is that "ordinary D&D" doesn't fit this style of game very well as a ruleset and reworking the rules would be interesting at best. I may steal some Conan ideas - I certainly like the Conan magic system better than standard D&D 3.5 for this kind of game.

Any more pointers? :)

I would suggest three courses of action:

If you can afford it, look into either Feng Shui as a rules set, or Green Ronin's Skull and Bones, or even the Seventh Sea RPG.

Feng Shui is high cinema (albeit hong-kong action) but is adaptable to any high-octane gaming. The downside is it's not d20, the upside is that it is EXCESSIVELY easy to learn and use.

Seventh Sea is a Pirate Swashbucking RPG, though not D20. I have never played it, but have been told that if you want to run swashbuckling pirate RPG's, this is the CREME of the crop.

Skull & Bones is d20 Pirates. It also has rules for everything related to the sea, and its magic rules are based on Voodoun (Voodo)-style magics, ritualistic, etc.

Failing that, I would use D&D rules, but use the vitality system from Unearthed Arcana / Star Wars, to represent those near-misses, and those telling hits. The down side is that whatever d20 offering you use, it will not be extremely rules-light as you would desire.

Good luck!

Minicol

Adventurer
Supporter
randomling said:
I haven't DMed in ages. Last time I tried seriously to start a campaign, I was stuck in a group of idiots who couldn't deal with a female DM and liked to make life as difficult for their DM as possible.

That unfortunately happens too often. I have female players in my group, and they are even tougher than the guys.

I'm now playing in a couple of fantastic groups, and there's one in particular - where the current DMs are S'mon and StalkingBlue -

If they are fantastic, they would probably agree to let you DM for a while.

First reason is that I'm the least experienced gamer in the group, and by a long way the least competent with the rules. In a group like ours where the rules tend to be very important, this does not look like a good prospect.

Well, you have to start somewhere :)

Fourth reason is that I'm just not confident enough. :\ If your friends/players are nice people, they will probably agree to let you DM. Even if everything is not perfect on the first try, they should be able to give you constructive criticism.

Other than that, I have a few pieces of advice that work rather well for me :
- Start with a short adventure
- Start directly with a fight : you can always do a flashback later to explain them how they got there in the first place. This is especially good if your players have not seen each other in a while, and you need to refocus them.
- Pick a monster book and try to use some with a really unusual look, that takes awy the jaded look on their faces, and they worry what you really have up your sleeve.
- If you are starting to have real problems in game, either stop the adventure before you get angry, or use what we call the "DM squad" : suddenly a bunch of serious looking and grossly overpowered monsters with black T shirts and black sunglasses appear from nowhere and beat the crap out of the offending player(s). They usually get the message very quickly.

Hope this helps and let us know how the game goes.

Hjorimir

Adventurer
If you have a talented group of players (and your post makes that seem probable), you'll more than likely be surprised on how much interesting content they will provide on themselves. Don't feel the need to control the pace of your game unless the players are stalling.

Action Items I would suggest for a young DM-

Refrain from using alternate rule systems (i.e. magic) until you've have a strong experience running the rules as presented. The ramifications of even a minor change could have untold and sweeping effects of game balance that you don't see initially.

Don't be in too much of a hurry to pull back the veil. Let each campaign mystery come about in its own time. Never feel pressured to wow the party with amazing plot devices (as such things come together naturally in a well prepared campaign).

The most important rule is that the game is intended to be a form of entertainment. So do what is fun for you and yours.

When in doubt the odds of success are 50%.

Lastly, for you in particular, I'd have a round-table meeting with all of your players and get their input before you even start the game. If they know how you feel they will be more likely to accept any downfalls and try and help you make it a stronger game in the end.

BlackMoria

First Post
I mentor new DMs in my games. Having DMed for something like 30 years, I find mentoring is a fine way for a new DM to learn the ropes.

After a play session, the inexperience DM and I sit down and talk about the session. I ask a lot of questions like: What did you feel went well?, What did you feel seemed forced or awkward? That sort of thing.

Then I critique the session in a very postive way. I offer up suggestions based on the response to the questions and offer up how I feel the session went and how it can be improved. I also mention what went well (positive reinforcement).

Over the years, I have found that many new DMs are unduly harsh on themselves when self analysing their performance. I've had new DMs state that such and such didn't seem to work and in many case, it did work and in some case, it worked well - even if it didn't seem to to them.

The mentor also watches over his charge - so at times when the players are getting over rowdy and the new DM is having trouble or seems unable to control the crowd or the players are ganging up on the DM on some issue - the mentor can step in to remind people to have some understanding and respect for the new guy in the big chair.

Also, it is important for the mentor not to cramp the 'style' of the new DM. Each person DM's in their own way so the mentor should not try to impose a particular style of DMing on the new guy/gal. The mentor must allow his charge to find their own style of DMing.

So, I suggest that you approach some of the other DMs in your group and see if one of them will take you under their wing and mentor you until such time as you feel fully comfortable as the DM that you don't need the coaching anymore. Show them this response if they are unclear of what the mentor's role is.

Welcome of the ranks of the League of Extraordinary Rat Bastards :lol:

RuminDange

First Post
BlackMoria said:
So, I suggest that you approach some of the other DMs in your group and see if one of them will take you under their wing and mentor you until such time as you feel fully comfortable as the DM that you don't need the coaching anymore. Show them this response if they are unclear of what the mentor's role is.

I'd agree with getting another of the DM's to mentor and help out. In a way that's how I got started a long time ago back in '83.
Another suggestion that the DM that worked with me used was Dual-DMing. He would work at the adventure, notes, NPC's etc, Of course I was helping him with the adventure design, and then I would run the game for the other players with him assisting as needed until I got the hang of it. The funny thing was, he was great at creating the adventures, plots, etc....but horrible at roleplaying the NPC's, which turned out to be my strongest ability. I brought them to life just like they were my character no matter who they were, still do even today. And I got better at the plots and adventures over the years.

It never hurts to try. Wished at least one of my players would try to run a game, haven't had a chance to play in over 10 years now, kinda miss it.

RD

Remove ads