toughness

punkorange

First Post
Is it just me, or is toughness one of the worst feats in the game. Don't get me wrong, it may be usefull for maybe a 1st level wizard or something, but its a waste of feats considering the alternative feats for that same character. And 3 hp to a fighter beyond level 1 or 2 means nothing.

Chroma

Explorer
Has no one had a character killed by just one more point of damage than they had hit points? Toughness prevents that... ;)

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
punkorange said:
Is it just me, or is toughness one of the worst feats in the game. Don't get me wrong, it may be usefull for maybe a 1st level wizard or something, but its a waste of feats considering the alternative feats for that same character. And 3 hp to a fighter beyond level 1 or 2 means nothing.
A GM of mine houseruled it so that it's the same as Improved Toughness. Makes the feat better.

Corlon

First Post
Chroma said:
Has no one had a character killed by just one more point of damage than they had hit points? Toughness prevents that... ;)

heh, then you die by "just one more piont" than your toughness provides. :D

Fingol

First Post
Played a fighter once who took quite of a few of them, just bulking up on HPs. Worked well until he had so many more HPs than anyone in the group that he could not get healing from the cleric until his HPs were quite low. As a result he wandered around habitally with less than his full complement. And it will be no surprise he died because of one hit from a sneak attack...from just being healed by the cleric (up to what the cleric saw as enough) to dead all in one attack.

IronWolf

blank
Yeah, it feels real good at first level! Then you hit level two or three and start thinking about how there are so many other useful feats that you could have taken instead.

Particle_Man

Explorer
As a player, toughness is simply not an option.

As a DM, I use toughness a lot for my npcs and advanced monsters, because it saves designing time to do so. It leaves the monsters sub-optimal, but I just use "tougher" monsters, so it balances out. And it was funny the first time the players attacked the "mooks" and they didn't simply die in one blow. Sometimes it took two, or even three! :)

reanjr

First Post
Maybe it should grant an additional HP per level from that point on (non-retroactive; Improved Toughness IMO is a bit overpowered, especially taken multiple times).

Remove ads