• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tournament Game Challenges

CPezet

First Post
Hi Everyone,

I am running a game this weekend for a group of players who will be participating in a tournament. The nature of the game consists of alternating challenge round and combat rounds. I have some challenges such as an underwater scavenger hunt, a game where teams have to stay on rolling boulder while trying to knock others off theirs.

But I am starting to get stumped and would welcome any ideas the community might have :)

Thanks

Rune

Once A Fool
I found (back in the 3.5 day), that the system produced some wonky results, when I ran a tournament. For example, the fighter straight-up out-wrestled the half-orc monk--who was a wrestler--because the fighter's BAB was just do much better.

If I were to do it again, I would make each directly competitive event (unlike, say, archery) much more play-by-play (even with an announcer calling the plays for the crowd). I'd also introduce elements to make things more swingy, so as to get more back-and-forth. Like, maybe, instead of contesting rolls with d20s, each contestant rolls 2d6 + modifiers, but with doubles trumping any result that didn't also roll a double.

Rune

Once A Fool
Oh, to answer your original call for aid:

Mass melee
Archery
Drinking contest
Underwater wrestling
Spellcaster duel
Bardic performance contest/duel of wits
Archery battle (similar to paintball)
Jousting
Aerial jousting
Eating competition
Cooking competition
Dirty-trick race (Mario Kart-style)

Rune

Once A Fool
I'm partial to the underwater wrestling, myself. It takes so long to start drowning in D&D, what could go wrong?

Remove ads