D&D 5E Traditional or Historial Arms and Armor

If the equipment list were being written for me alone...

• I would prefer it stuck with D&D traditions.

Votes: 57 57.0%
  • I would prefer greater historical accuracy.

Votes: 43 43.0%

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Part of the problem is that the terminology changes, which can be confusing.

At least according to Wikipedia, Splint Mail is now called "Plated Mail"

And while Banded Mail may not actually have existed, at one time they thought it did. But why is it so weird to believe an armor that might have existed might exist in an fantasy world that has so many creatures from mythology and folkmore that really exist? Why not extend that to armor?

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
Part of the problem is that the terminology changes, which can be confusing.

At least according to Wikipedia, Splint Mail is now called "Plated Mail"

And while Banded Mail may not actually have existed, at one time they thought it did. But why is it so weird to believe an armor that might have existed might exist in an fantasy world that has so many creatures from mythology and folkmore that really exist? Why not extend that to armor?

I certainly don't have a problem with that, but I'd definitely like to see those origins in the description.

In a way, I see it akin to the organization and ecology sections of a monster entry.

Though, at the same time, combining splinted mail and banded mail makes a certain amount of sense as well. They're much the same principles.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
The problem with historical weapons in D&D is that weapons mainly evolved to counter the prominent armor of that time or to make them more easy to handle/produce.

Both things do not apply in D&D as armors provide flat AC and no weapon has specific bonuses or penalties against certain armors. Characters in D&D can wield weapon without much effort as long as it is contained in their class package and because of the unhealthy obsession to balance D&D developed weapons are not strictly superior to other weapons even if they were historically.

Also many groups gloss over things like weight and even ammunition count.

A module for this would be awesome. Perhaps, eventually, there should be a book of gear that is filled with detail and optional rules for those who like that sort of thing. I'd buy it on general principle, even if I never used it.

Hussar

Legend
The other problem with historical vs fantasy armors is that, in game, it tends to break down. Real world history never had to deal with 100 foot lizards chomping down on you. Or giant freaks of nature bear hugging you, trying to rip you apart.

Take the idea of spiked armor. Sure, it makes almost no sense if you are fighting someone with a sword - it's just helping the other guy. But, if I'm hunting owlbears, spiked armor makes a lot more sense. The only problem is, unlike the real world where specific tools would be used for specific jobs, D&D presumes that once you put on one suit of armor, you're not going to change that until something "better" comes along.

Ahnehnois

First Post
A module for this would be awesome. Perhaps, eventually, there should be a book of gear that is filled with detail and optional rules for those who like that sort of thing. I'd buy it on general principle, even if I never used it.
I am not a history buff or combat expert by any means, but I was just researching weapons for an NPC and found the search results on weapon v armor dynamics quite interesting (and not at all captured by the rules). Definitely too complicated for some (probably including me), but I could see it being done well as an add-on.

Hussar

Legend
Again, the problem with the weapon vs armor table is that not every group fights humanoids all the time. What is the equivalent armor for a dragon's hide? Giant crocodile? Ogre skin? Troll skin? etc.

Without taking monsters into account, the rules would have a serious uphill battle trying to be used.

slobo777

First Post
Again, the problem with the weapon vs armor table is that not every group fights humanoids all the time. What is the equivalent armor for a dragon's hide? Giant crocodile? Ogre skin? Troll skin? etc.

Without taking monsters into account, the rules would have a serious uphill battle trying to be used.

For me, that's not the problem with weapons-versus-armour tables. We could go back to the original meaning of "class" in "armor class", and describe all armoured protections that way. RoleMaster did this for example, and all it involves is taking a different view of what the number on the stat block should be (for starters you need to separate out defences due to agility or magic).

The problem is comparing attacker versus defender traits and adjusting results in so much detail. It's far too time-consuming and fiddly to be fun to play for me.

Derren

Hero
What is the equivalent armor for a dragon's hide? Giant crocodile? Ogre skin? Troll skin? etc.

That hardly is a problem. Leather is still leather. It might be stronger but the same weapons are effective against it than other leather armor.

The only real problem is the effectiveness of armor against monsters. Against giant clubs, dragons etc. no armor would really protect you.

Steely_Dan

First Post
That hardly is a problem. Leather is still leather. It might be stronger but the same weapons are effective against it than other leather armor.

The only real problem is the effectiveness of armor against monsters. Against giant clubs, dragons etc. no armor would really protect you.

Of course, armour isn't really going to help you when getting smacked upside the head with a Buick.

Remove ads