[TRAILER] Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
...but re-using the Death Star in Return is .... a poor choice. If for no other reason than I once had a friend who had the interesting belief that the Return Death Star was actually the rebuilt ANH Death Star, a belief that he would expound upon loudly and vociferously in direct proportion to the amount he drank.

Hm. Interesting interpretation. I mean, it is a completely irrelevant interpretation - where they get the parts and materials really doesn't matter as far as the plot is concerned.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Hmmm... hard pressed to find the parts.

Remember the resolution. The original Death Star is supposed to be, what, 100 km in diameter? That means each bright dot there is at least several meters across - and that's just the stuff glowing bright enough to see from hundreds to thousands or more kilometers away. Most of the mass of the thing can be in rather larger dark chunks, tens to hundreds of meters across.

Plus, just having the raw material floating around in space gives you a leg up over going down into a gravity well to get it. Basically, in blowing up, the original Death Star becomes its own little asteroid mining field.

Go in there with a couple (admittedly non-canon) Interdictor-class Star Destroyers, use their gravity generators to just scoop up the detritus, and you have yourself some high-grade recyclables.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
"Little does Luke know that the GALACTIC EMPIRE had secretly begun construction on a new armored space station even more powerful than the first dreaded Death Star."

From the opening of Return.

We also know that is was larger and more powerful than Death Star Mk. I.

Yeah, that's all fine. I'm... not sure what the problem is. You said that using the death star twice was a bad choice, holding up your friend's misapprehension as support. You then also seem to point out exactly where the film makesr say that isn't the case. Which kind of means you seem to have dispelled your own point, from where I sit.

Your friend wasn't very attentive, and when drunk his logic gets weak. How, exactly, is this a major fault in the movie, and not in your friend's braincase and alcohol habits?

Zardnaar

Legend
Remember the resolution. The original Death Star is supposed to be, what, 100 km in diameter? That means each bright dot there is at least several meters across - and that's just the stuff glowing bright enough to see from hundreds to thousands or more kilometers away. Most of the mass of the thing can be in rather larger dark chunks, tens to hundreds of meters across.

Plus, just having the raw material floating around in space gives you a leg up over going down into a gravity well to get it. Basically, in blowing up, the original Death Star becomes its own little asteroid mining field.

Go in there with a couple (admittedly non-canon) Interdictor-class Star Destroyers, use their gravity generators to just scoop up the detritus, and you have yourself some high-grade recyclables.

Interdictors are canon they were in Rebels. Along with Thrawn and TIE Defenders.

Still think the should have used the defenders in a movie maybe flanking Kylos TIE Silencer.

For whatever reason some people do have AotC as their favorite SW movie. Movies are just so subjective though. Some people just might not like the OT much just because if the hair cuts.

They're charming for us but if you're used to cgi old practical effects might look terrible idk.

I'm sure Ishtar has its fans somewhere.

Last edited:

lowkey13 said:
The reason I think rebuilding the Death Star and using it again for the RoTJ was a very lazy story-telling choice is that it is, in fact, just that. It's like when Marvel uses a GIANT SKY BEAM! It's lazy.

At this point, the idea of a tyrannical Sith Lord creating a giant weapon which blows up planets/stars/the universe has been recycled so many times in Star Wars movies, books, comics and video games that it's become rather an expectation. I'm not sure that its particular shape or configuration matters too much.

More than sixty Star Wars superweapons

Remove ads