Training Templates

Limper

First Post
The short and dirty nuts and bolts of the system areas follows.

For a +1 ECL the player can get a package of 4 feats of the DM’s choosing. If the player already has one or more of these feats the DM picks from the available feats in that tree.

I’m currently using this to simulate military training such as Calvary Training.

How does this sound to you? As a player? As a DM?

Calvary Training: Mounted Combat, Ride by Attack, Mounted Archery, and Skill Focus Ride

Scout (Running, Point Blank Shot, Dodge, Sneaky)

Heavy Infantry (Coordinated attack, Phalanx Fighting, Endurance, Toughness)

Shock Trooper (Power Attack, Distracting Attack, Toughness, Endurance)

Medium Infantry (Coordinated Attack, Shield Mate, Endurance, Camp Craft)

Light Infantry (Distracting Attack, Shield Mate, Endurance, Running)

Pike man (Combat reflexes, Hold the Line, Distracting Attack, Endurance)

Archer (Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Far Shot, Camp Craft )

New Feat:

Camp Craft: This feat adds +2 to Craft Armor and +2 Craft Weapon of the type used by the soldier)

Last edited:

Cyberzombie

Explorer
You should mention you don't allow most (or is it any?) prestige classes, so those aren't a game balance issue on those. :)

Me, I'd take it. Probably Light Infantry. Even though they're not optimal feats, I love Run and Endurance. I'd sacrifice a level for that combo.

Limper

First Post
I allow prestige classes. Just not the ones I didn't write for my game.

But even with prestige classes are they really that imbalanced?

Limper said:
I allow prestige classes. Just not the ones I didn't write for my game.

But even with prestige classes are they really that imbalanced?

I think they look fine. The only one I'd watch would be the last one Archer. Thats a bunch of very useful feats all at once. I'd replace precise shot with rapid reload indicating they're trained on x-bows and normal bows. This is also somewhat role-play related because precise shot isn't as usefull in the world of volly fire... :)

nice ta see ya again limp, and cyberZ... wow what board am I on again? :)

joe b.

Cyberzombie

Explorer
Mmm, hmm. Actually, I dunno. Most of the ones that have those sorts of feats as Prereqs usually also have a BAB requirement. I hadn't thought of that. So maybe it isn't an issue, anyway...

Limper

First Post
Good to see you again jb. Which side of the pacific are you posting from?

You make a good case there about Precise shot... I'll have to dig around my book collection for a better feat.

The crossbow hasn't quite taken off in my game as only one kingdom uses heavy armors so it hasn't been historicly needed yet.

Limper said:
Good to see you again jb. Which side of the pacific are you posting from?

You make a good case there about Precise shot... I'll have to dig around my book collection for a better feat.

The crossbow hasn't quite taken off in my game as only one kingdom uses heavy armors so it hasn't been historicly needed yet.

We're back in the USA now. Suzi got more homesick than she thought she would so back we came. :) Next time we go I know to get round-trip tickets.... :heh:

Hrm.. since xbows aren't really needed... One cool thing you could do would be make a new feat that give them a +1 enchancement bonus when using mighty bows. Ie. a guy with a STR of 12 would be treated as having a STR of 14 when using bows. That would be pretty neat.

joe b.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
1. You still need to meet the feats' prereqs to use them, correct?

2. Can you take more than one of these templates?

Limper

First Post
jgbrowning said:
We're back in the USA now. Suzi got more homesick than she thought she would so back we came. :) Next time we go I know to get round-trip tickets.... :heh:

Leaving everything you know for a very alien place isn't easy. It might just take a few tries. :)

Hrm.. since xbows aren't really needed... One cool thing you could do would be make a new feat that give them a +1 enchancement bonus when using mighty bows. Ie. a guy with a STR of 12 would be treated as having a STR of 14 when using bows. That would be pretty neat.

joe b.

I like that! I had a few along those lines in my notes but they were all melee oriented (like +2 to dex when fighting with a sword) I hadn't thought about applying them to missile weapons. Thank you.

I've been using armors as having some DR for some time now and it works well. Although crossbows aren't the rage yet I did put an edge to them.

Heavy Crossbows (d10/19-20) Ignore up to 4 DR from armor at Point Blank and 2 DR from armor at Short Range

Light Crossbows (d8/19-20) Ignore up to 2 DR from armor at Point Blank Range.

My game has been pretty magic light so far and as such its been necessary to make the mundane more interesting.

Darkness said:
1. You still need to meet the feats' prereqs to use them, correct?

That is correct sir. Not much of an issue with the regular troops but it does crop up in some of the specialty units.

2. Can you take more than one of these templates?

Yes you can but so far no one has shown any inclination to do so. I take this to mean its good once but not worth doing a bunch of times... I mean given the choice between these feat blocks and a few real levels with all the perks I'd take the levels all but once.

Remove ads