Traveller Open Content - New Programme on the Way

Mongoose Publishing has announced that the Traveller sci-fi RPG will be moving away from the Open Gaming License (OGL), and adopting Paizo's upcoming new Open RPG Creator License (ORC).

TOCLogo.jpg

In light of recent events, Mongoose Publishing is going to be introducing a brand new Traveller Open Content programme, allowing gamers and publishers to build their own projects using the most recent edition of Traveller rules.

We will be working with existing Traveller OGL publishers to build a new SRD based upon the Traveller Core Rulebook Update 2022, using their feedback to ensure best utility, and a logo licence will be made available to clearly mark compatible products.

At this time, we are looking to the ORC licence to maintain openness, now and in the future.

The current TAS programme on Drivethru, which allows the publishing of material set in the official Charted Space universe, will continue to run separately, but alongside, Traveller Open Content.

More news as it develops!

Last edited:

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I get so confused - there's Traveller 5th edition (not D&D 5e, but the huge doorstop of a book from Marc Miller); and then there's Mongoose's Traveller, which is closest to... 1981 LBB Traveller? Not sure which Open license is related to which rules set?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I get so confused - there's Traveller 5th edition (not D&D 5e, but the huge doorstop of a book from Marc Miller); and then there's Mongoose's Traveller, which is closest to... 1981 LBB Traveller? Not sure which Open license is related to which rules set?
Mongoose's is a fork separate from Miller's, which uses a slightly different mechanical system. (Not so different as you couldn't use material from one game in the other, but enough for partisans from each side to grouse about.)

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com

Cergorach

The Laughing One
And let's not forget T20 (Traveller 20), not published by Mongoose, but a D20 version of Traveller...

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
See this is where I also get confused. Cepheus is based on an SRD, is Mongoose also based on an SRD, but has shades of difference?

(I just got my POD deluxe in the mail on Monday from the Kickstarter...)
Mongoose is a licensed version, incorporating a lot of the old parts from previous editions, with some new parts. However, much like GURPS or T20 Traveller it has its own feel. I mean like where 80's Traveller felt closer to Asimov's Foundation, now mongoose is much more influenced by Star Wars. Cepheus is wide open, with a variety of settings as well as different rules sets, though generally to me overall cepheus feels more rules light than either mongoose, or T5.

Mongoose Traveller 1st edition introduced an OGL which was changed when they introduced the 2nd edition - which became the TAS license. Some 3rd parties didn’t like the terms of that so made Cepheus instead. The new Open Content is clearly in response to the WotC leak, but may address something regarding the issues with the old OGL possibly. I dunno - it hasn’t been specified yet.

The old D20 Traveller is 20 years now, and doesn’t have much following. All other versions of the game were not released under any OGL as far as I am aware. Of these, only T5 is ‘current’ and is mainly regarded as Marc Miller’s personal project rather than the main current edition (which is Mongoose’s).

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases