D&D 5E Treantmonk's Guide to Wizards 5e

Treantmonk is back with a new wizard guide to 5th edition, what a pleasure! Thank you for your previous work (I've always enjoyed playing wizards, your guide in 3.5 made me enjoy them all the more and I am grateful for the time you invested in creating it)!

I would just like to raise an important caveat on portent (which I really do love, despite being an abjuration wizard) that you MUST choose to use the ability before the die is rolled. I only say this because when you mention turning the BBEG crit into a miss, it reminded me of how I use the lucky feat (one of my favorite feats) to do just that, but I can only do so because lucky expressly permits such use after the die roll (but before knowing the outcome).

Portent is a fantastic ability, but if you plan to use it before a BBEG aims a nasty attack or spell at you with a to hit roll, use it quick because once the die is cast, your fate is sealed (unless you're <cough> lucky)!

Excellent catch! Thanks, I've corrected the sentence.

It's been suggested to me that Lucky + Portent is almost too much fun for one player to have. I'll have to try it out someday.

Verse

First Post
<chuckle> I'd recommend you try that with a DM you are on EXCEEDINGLY good terms with because the potential for dizzying heights of shenanigans with such a combination is rather astounding (also, a ridiculous amount of fun I'd wager)!

It's been suggested to me that Lucky + Portent is almost too much fun for one player to have. I'll have to try it out someday.

Off-topic for wizards, but try a Lucky Lightfoot Halfling Diviner 2/Wild Sorcerer X (Heightened Spell + Bend Luck). Not only can you cause yourself to pass (almost) any save, you can cause other people to fail theirs.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)

A halfling (Lucky) Wizard 2 (Portent) /Lore Bard 3 (Cutting Words) /Wild Sorcerer 6 (Bend Luck) with the Lucky feat :)

[Edit - I see I was ninja'ed on part of this - serves me right for the long edit]

Last edited:

Quartz

Hero
That sounds like a fun and useful character in a larger party, but how would one fare as the primary caster in a standard-sized party?

That sounds like a fun and useful character in a larger party, but how would one fare as the primary caster in a standard-sized party?

Depends on what the other three party members are and how they play. A Diviner/Wild Sorc is plenty capable of Twin Polymorphing two of his buddies into Tyrannosaurs when needed (130 free HP!) so he definitely contributes, but he doesn't add much to DPR by himself so you probably want at least one fighter type who can spew out weapon damage.

I've seen some weird-looking small parties have fun in 5E, so I don't expect it to be an issue. The most important thing is to either 1.) have a DM who sticks to the standard encounter building rules most of the time (it's easy by design), or 2.) build PCs who always have an exit strategy in place (Expeditious Retreat, caltrops, whatever). If you do that then you can have fun with anything. There is no "standard party" requirement any more.

A halfling (Lucky) Wizard 2 (Portent) /Lore Bard 3 (Cutting Words) /Wild Sorcerer 6 (Bend Luck) with the Lucky feat :)

[Edit - I see I was ninja'ed on part of this - serves me right for the long edit]

Yes, but you included Lore Bard.

This is a build that wouldn't be too terrible a caster (you are getting full casting progression, the a Lightfoot Halfling has a Cha bonus), and would be the ultimate at "luck". Might be fun to try. If anyone does, let us know!

Strill

First Post
One cool thing you can do with Malleable Illusions, is cast Major Illusion once, and then change it over and over again to suit whatever you want. As you level up, you can make Major Illusion last longer and longer, eventually becoming permanent, at which point you can just have it follow you around and become whatever you need it to be without spending any additional spell slots.

Last edited:

Remove ads