• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Treasure Hunter help?

SorvahrSpahr

First Post
Wow...it's been so long since I've come here...anyway, glad to see the forums are doing well. I was wondering if I could bother some of the vets around here for a little help?

I'm cooking up a character for a future campaign where I'll be a player on, (if this thread is in the wrong forum I'll move it, just let me know) my idea for this character is that she'll be a treasure hunter. The kind that goes around looking for rare and unique artifacts etc, you know the drill. We use any book, following the 3.5 rules and provided that our DM has access to the same book naturally, from oriental adventures to the Complete series and of course the phbs.

I would like to ask for your suggestions and hints on how to make a really good chara. Appraise, Knowledge Arcana and Spellcraft are must haves, so I was thinking of either making a Beguiler or a combo of Rogue+Wizard. The reason I'm not too keen on going with Beguiler is the mere fact that it'll be a second sequel to his campaigns. The character I'm rolling is my current character's daughter, and he's a Beguiler so...yeah ^^''

Rogue+Wiz looks good, but since we should start his future campaign around level 5-7 as usual, I don't know just how useful that mix would be, although combining sneak attack with ray spells, even if they're weak in the beggining, looks rather promising.

So this is my question/challenge then. Since the theme is that of a treasure hunter, what would you guys suggest? I wanted her to have some combat skills as well since it's naturally important, but i'm not sure how to build the character.

Thanks in advance, and again, if this is misplaced, please let me know and I'll remake the thread wherever it should be.

agrelic

First Post
Factum is from Dungeonscape. Its a jack of all trades type that gets inspiration points each day that can be used to mimic some abilities from other classes.

Dandu

First Post
Man, you should totally go for a Rogue/Wizard/Arcane trickster. I hear those are totally broken because they get virtually all the rogue's skills and only a slight impediment to wizard spellcasting.

SorvahrSpahr

First Post
The factotum looks interesting yeah, it'll require some studying though.

Dandu, rogue+wiz was my first bet, especially since there's a handy feat to count up to 4 non-caster lvls as caster lvls, so it wouldn't hurt too much. But would that build be useful in early levels as well? She's human so i don't think there's xp penalty for taking 2 classes + prestidge, correct?

And for the feats, I suppose I'd be focusing on metamagic plus the prof bonus for ray spells then, right?

What about Rogue+Sorc+Arcane Trickster?

xigbar

Explorer
The factotum looks interesting yeah, it'll require some studying though.

Dandu, rogue+wiz was my first bet, especially since there's a handy feat to count up to 4 non-caster lvls as caster lvls, so it wouldn't hurt too much. But would that build be useful in early levels as well? She's human so i don't think there's xp penalty for taking 2 classes + prestidge, correct?

And for the feats, I suppose I'd be focusing on metamagic plus the prof bonus for ray spells then, right?

What about Rogue+Sorc+Arcane Trickster?

Dandu is being sarastic, he hates Arcane Tricksters. And if you want to sneak attack with Ray Spells, google Spellwarp Sniper.

SorvahrSpahr

First Post
urg...he was? the class combo looks good on paper, but it does look like it'd take a bit to become effective in combat. might check that one, know what handbook it comes from?

Remove ads