Trek Spoiler Spectacular! (Forked Thread: The new Star Trek movie is...)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
No, Pike is not ignorable. Not only does he recommend and praise Kirk as an Admiral (which carries a lot of weight on it's own), he does so as Kirk's former commanding officer. That's saying a lot at a time when Starfleet is still small by comparison (even more so since it just lost so many ships).

So what? That does not mean he must play a role in the next movie. Starfleet Command itself may only appear by reference, if the action doesn't take place on or near Earth.

They could include Pike, sure. But they can just as easily not mention him again.

Pbartender

First Post
The name of the thing doesn't bother me one whit. It's the distance.

Ah, yes... I can hardly argue with that. It struck me as a little bit odd, myself, but hey... It's Star Trek. God lives at the center of the galaxy and needs a spaceship get around, remember? :p

Maybe it was some sort of inverse tachyon field, or a sub-space anomoly that gave him such a good view... ;)

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
I definitely saw one of the 'rescue fleet' light off three nacelles before going into warp. Unfortunately I didn't get a good look at any of the ships, as I was trying to look closely at all of them, and they didn't stick around long enough for that.

I saw that, that was cool. No idea what it was, but it looked cool.

Brad

Wolf72

Explorer
Perhaps it was because it was the newest and prettiest ship?

BTW, did anyone else geek out over the various ship types? I notice that the Kelvin really rather strongly resembled one of the old FASA destroyers.

Brad

I did! ... I only wish I'd seen it with my brother ... he'd be able to point out which type of destroyer it was.

We were just talking about how we liked (well I ALWAYS lost) SFB

Actually, I sorta did a little. One of Star Treks unwritten rules has always been that warp engines have to come in pairs. The idea of having just one warp nacelle was, to my understanding, first speculated by Franz Joseph Designs which created the first Enterprise blueprints and Technical Manual. FASA just picked it up from there. But canon has always been that they have to be paired which, frankly, unnecessarily limits ship design possibilities.

I always LIKED the look of the single-nacelle destroyer and was sorta frustrated that it was not accepted as canon. So, yeah, I geeked a bit.

As a fan of the old Franz Joseph manual, I really geeked out on it. It looked like JJ Abrams really, really did his research when making this movie (and yes, in some places he selectively disregarded it, but it was an informed decision instead of one made out of ignorance).

The Starbase in orbit of Earth? That was the starbase/Starfleet Headquarters design from the old 1970's Star Fleet Technical Manual (also reused as the Starbase design in Star Fleet Battles which used that manual heavily). I was pretty dang sure I saw a Ptolemy-Class Tug from that book in the rescue fleet as well (or at least something that was as close to that design as this movie's Enterprise was to the original Enterprise).

Remove ads