• Resources are back! Use the menu in the main navbar. If you own a resource, please check it for formatting, icons, etc.

4E Tropes of the Nentir Vale

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
t does seem BECMI. Mearls said that Asmodeus was a former mortal, Todd expressed surprise, and Mearls said that basically all of the powers that be are former mortals in the current background set-up for D&D.
Asmodeus kind of makes sense, in the view that he's probably a fallen celestial of some kind to start with. So Asmodeus way back when was mortal, dies goes to some good aligned plane upon death, rises through the ranks of celestials for untold millennia and eventually falls.

Also, apotheosis isn't a bad idea. Nobody said that Moradin had to be a mortal dwarf, only that he created dwarves. If he was originally a mortal being, then he wasn't a dwarf. Or if he was a dwarf, then he was the dwarf that effectively forged dwaven culture and relationships as we know them in D&D's context. Either way is very interesting from a metaphysical standpoint.

Urriak Uruk

Explorer
Have to say Nentir Vale is one of my least favorite settings (possibly the worst IMO). There's not a lot in it I find truly original (beyond it's modules, which can be used in any generic setting too). The big draws to it is that it's a sandbox, which if I want a sandbox I'll make my own. And the survival element, but I find other settings (or pockets of settings) do it better like Dark Sun or Chult.

Have to say Nentir Vale is one of my least favorite settings (possibly the worst IMO). There's not a lot in it I find truly original (beyond it's modules, which can be used in any generic setting too). The big draws to it is that it's a sandbox, which if I want a sandbox I'll make my own. And the survival element, but I find other settings (or pockets of settings) do it better like Dark Sun or Chult.
IDK why it keeps getting brought up as such: it's a small, generic locale that could be dropped into any setting, the default setting it's in, being a nameless generic setting, itself. It gets called "Nerath" or "Nentir Vale" or "PoLland" or "The Dawn War setting," and someone off-handedly tossed out an official proper noun at some point, but it's just not a developed, detailed setting, /at all/.

That was the point: no default setting.

Yet, ironically, there are those how love it, or hate it, as a setting. :🤷:

There is a skeletal setting .... beyond that generic locale. .We can feel its bones in feats and paragon paths and backgrounds and god descriptions and the like in 4e.
Nod. It really reminds me of the glimpses we had of the settings - Greyhawk & Blackmoor, mostly - in early D&D. The difference being that, this time around, there was nothing there beyond the glimpses.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Nod. It really reminds me of the glimpses we had of the settings - Greyhawk & Blackmoor, mostly - in early D&D. The difference being that, this time around, there was nothing there beyond the glimpses.
Course I never saw more than that glimpse back when either. ... whether Blackmoor had more or not

S'mon

Legend
I think he's succeeded in making his fan fiction Canon: beyond that, he has suceeded in making "Make My Fan-Fiction Canon" basically his job description.
Well I ignored the bits of setting fluff I didn't like ("Asmodeus killed God!" "Hell is in the sky!") back in 4e-time, I can certainly ignore it now!

Parmandur

Legend
Because it’s weird and adds nothing to the game, solves no problems, and ultimately accomplished nothing?
Nothing weird has any place in D&D, surely.

Well, I don't know the full reasoning behind it, as it is background lore they haven't delved into explicitly yet. Therefore, I would not be confident in agreeing that it solves no problems or accomplishes nothing, given that I don't know what problems and goals they might have behind the curtain.

It is what is, as far as what's going on in D&D lore now. Use or do not use, at your leisure.

sunrisekid

Explorer
Question from the clueless: what exactly is OP linking to? Personal campaign? I'm not sure what the point of the post is.

At any rate, I love Nentir. Ran my 4E games there and continued when 5E came out. Still playing there, roughly converting official modules to Nentir locations. One of my players started DM'ing for the first time, having selected another continent from the world map.

As for cosmology, that has always been at the bottom of my to-do list for any campaign. The players never seemed interested in whatever the gods are (ascended mortals, true gods, whatever). I've never really understood why people even debate cosmology in D&D haha. But to each their own of course.

doctorbadwolf

Adventurer
Nothing weird has any place in D&D, surely.

Well, I don't know the full reasoning behind it, as it is background lore they haven't delved into explicitly yet. Therefore, I would not be confident in agreeing that it solves no problems or accomplishes nothing, given that I don't know what problems and goals they might have behind the curtain.

It is what is, as far as what's going on in D&D lore now. Use or do not use, at your leisure.
It isn’t anything, until or unless it’s published, first of all.

It also directly contradicts published 5e lore.

And changes the fundamental nature of the cosmology for literally no reason other than Mearls likes the idea so much he can’t let go of it.

As much as the lore in Mordy’s Fome of Toes was largely garbage, it actually is what it is, because it’s official published lore for this ed.

Mearls needs to keep his off brand campaign ideas that he didn’t get to keep playing with on stream to himself.

Parmandur

Legend
It isn’t anything, until or unless it’s published, first of all.

It also directly contradicts published 5e lore.

And changes the fundamental nature of the cosmology for literally no reason other than Mearls likes the idea so much he can’t let go of it.

As much as the lore in Mordy’s Fome of Toes was largely garbage, it actually is what it is, because it’s official published lore for this ed.

Mearls needs to keep his off brand campaign ideas that he didn’t get to keep playing with on stream to himself.
MToF does seem to imply what Mearls alluded to there, with the origins of Devils and Demons as explained there.

(it's not big skin off my nose either way, as all D&D metaphysics are absurd no matter how you cut it)

Advertisement