D&D 4E Tropes of the Nentir Vale

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
I couldn't make it past the first episode of Mearl's campaign (it was clear the players hadn't played together before and were struggling with finding a rhythm, lots of talking over each other, etc) so I'm not sure how he explained it exactly. I'd kinda just assumed that the story would be changed such that the primordials created the mortals and then a subset of them rise up to kill their creators and turn into deities in the process. That brings it more into line with the Titanomachy and makes a certain amount of sense to me.

But now I can totally see why you would have issues with the origins of mortals. The gods protecting their creations against the chaotic primordials is an interesting aspect to focus on and really emphasizes the theme of the Points of Light. Small groups of light fighting against the rest of the world.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Yeah, my guess is that Mearls saw that the raven queen was popular and thought he’d give all the other NV gods a similar treatment, failing to consider (or considering and deciding to do it anyway) that doing so significantly recontextualizes the Dawn War.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah, my guess is that Mearls saw that the raven queen was popular and thought he’d give all the other NV gods a similar treatment, failing to consider (or considering and deciding to do it anyway) that doing so significantly recontextualizes the Dawn War.

It seems that part of the current default story they have going for the Great Wheel is that the various cosmic forces are former mortals: in a recent D&D Beyond video on Asmodeus, Mearls said that explicitly.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
It seems that part of the current default story they have going for the Great Wheel is that the various cosmic forces are former mortals: in a recent D&D Beyond video on Asmodeus, Mearls said that explicitly.

Wha? What's the point in having a backward looking edition when it comes to Lore if you're not going to stick with the established Lore and are going to mess with it?

(Asmodeus as a former mortal - yeesh. Even I - a fan of recontextualizing old Lore and putting new spins on things through retcons - cannot see the point of that. Having some ascended mortals among the gods is a great idea, and hearkens back to the BECMI ideas of the Immortals, but pick and choose it where it makes sense! Even in BECMI they realized that having EVERY SINGLE IMMORTAL be an ascended mortal was a limitation that didn't add anything to the game. At least they eventually realized it...)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Wha? What's the point in having a backward looking edition when it comes to Lore if you're not going to stick with the established Lore and are going to mess with it?

(Asmodeus as a former mortal - yeesh. Even I - a fan of recontextualizing old Lore and putting new spins on things through retcons - cannot see the point of that. Having some ascended mortals among the gods is a great idea, and hearkens back to the BECMI ideas of the Immortals, but pick and choose it where it makes sense! Even in BECMI they realized that having EVERY SINGLE IMMORTAL be an ascended mortal was a limitation that didn't add anything to the game. At least they eventually realized it...)

t does seem BECMI. Mearls said that Asmodeus was a former mortal, Todd expressed surprise, and Mearls said that basically all of the powers that be are former mortals in the current background set-up for D&D.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases