D&D 4E Tropes of the Nentir Vale

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Because it’s weird and adds nothing to the game, solves no problems, and ultimately accomplished nothing?

Nothing weird has any place in D&D, surely.

Well, I don't know the full reasoning behind it, as it is background lore they haven't delved into explicitly yet. Therefore, I would not be confident in agreeing that it solves no problems or accomplishes nothing, given that I don't know what problems and goals they might have behind the curtain.

It is what is, as far as what's going on in D&D lore now. Use or do not use, at your leisure.

sunrisekid

Explorer
Question from the clueless: what exactly is OP linking to? Personal campaign? I'm not sure what the point of the post is.

At any rate, I love Nentir. Ran my 4E games there and continued when 5E came out. Still playing there, roughly converting official modules to Nentir locations. One of my players started DM'ing for the first time, having selected another continent from the world map.

As for cosmology, that has always been at the bottom of my to-do list for any campaign. The players never seemed interested in whatever the gods are (ascended mortals, true gods, whatever). I've never really understood why people even debate cosmology in D&D haha. But to each their own of course.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Nothing weird has any place in D&D, surely.

Well, I don't know the full reasoning behind it, as it is background lore they haven't delved into explicitly yet. Therefore, I would not be confident in agreeing that it solves no problems or accomplishes nothing, given that I don't know what problems and goals they might have behind the curtain.

It is what is, as far as what's going on in D&D lore now. Use or do not use, at your leisure.
It isn’t anything, until or unless it’s published, first of all.

It also directly contradicts published 5e lore.

And changes the fundamental nature of the cosmology for literally no reason other than Mearls likes the idea so much he can’t let go of it.

As much as the lore in Mordy’s Fome of Toes was largely garbage, it actually is what it is, because it’s official published lore for this ed.

Mearls needs to keep his off brand campaign ideas that he didn’t get to keep playing with on stream to himself.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It isn’t anything, until or unless it’s published, first of all.

It also directly contradicts published 5e lore.

And changes the fundamental nature of the cosmology for literally no reason other than Mearls likes the idea so much he can’t let go of it.

As much as the lore in Mordy’s Fome of Toes was largely garbage, it actually is what it is, because it’s official published lore for this ed.

Mearls needs to keep his off brand campaign ideas that he didn’t get to keep playing with on stream to himself.

MToF does seem to imply what Mearls alluded to there, with the origins of Devils and Demons as explained there.

(it's not big skin off my nose either way, as all D&D metaphysics are absurd no matter how you cut it)

Remove ads