RPG Evolution - True Tales from Stranger Things: The Satanic Panic Comes to School

Stranger Things' latest season incorporates the Satanic Panic into its storyline, but in my experience it wasn't the jocks who became the biggest threat. It was a teacher.

Stranger Things' latest season incorporates the Satanic Panic into its storyline, but in my experience it wasn't the jocks who became the biggest threat. It was a teacher.

ADnDSpells.jpg

The Satanic Panic Was Real​

Depending on where you lived and your family's social circle, the experience of Dungeons & Dragons players with the Satanic Panic could vary greatly. For the most part, my family rarely encountered any prejudices against the game. I've mentioned previously that my aunt was a big supporter of my hobby.

I was introduced to D&D as part of a learning program. It was considered a means of promoting reading and imaginative play and was promoted as such in elementary school. The Satanic Panic backlash came soon after while I was in high school.

The only incident I knew of where someone had a problem with us playing D&D was that my dad mentioned a coworker frantically telling him that I had to stop playing the game immediately as my soul was in danger. My dad told him off.

And that was about the extent of my experience with the Satanic Panic. Until I took an art class in high school.

Meet Mr. P.​

Mr. P. was an art teacher who was not particularly interested in art. Ironically, I met one of my lifelong fellow gamers in his class. It was a drawing class in which we would be asked to draw something and then, since there was no deadline as to when we were finished, sit around talking.

That meant a lot of time for discussions of topics Mr. P. was much more interested in. And once he found out that two of us played D&D, he then spent every class publicly debating me about it.

Mr. P. felt he was doing us a favor. He brought in material that criticized the game, then asked us to refute it. And me, being me, eagerly engaged him in a public debate. For the entire class.

This went on and off for weeks. We would barely do any drawing, then Mr. P. would bring out anti-D&D material, I would refute it, neither of us would budge on our position, and we'd do it all over again the next class. I remember at one point an audible sigh from my classmates, who were sick of the debate and certainly weren't learning anything about drawing.

The "Evidence"​

Mr. P's arguments were wide-ranging and poorly sourced. Here's some of the criticisms in the literature he shared and my response to the criticism:
  • The most powerful character is formed by rolling three sixes on a D6. I didn't even understand that "666" was supposed to be an evil number at the time. I explained there were lots of ways to generate a powerful character, and not just getting sixes.
  • There were demons featuring sexual content in the Arduin Grimoire. I'd never heard of the Arduin Grimoire until Mr. P's pamphlet mentioned it; some of the content in it was obviously for mature audiences. That wasn't in any way "official" D&D though, and I made it clear we didn't play in that setting.
  • The Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Dungeon Master's Guide featured "real" magic circles. This was true (see picture, AD&D DMG, page 42), to the extent that they were based on what you could find in text books (I have no idea if the symbols on the magic circle are accurate). For parents concerned about exposing their kids to "occult" topics, I had to admit that it was in the book. It didn't have any bearing on the game though, as never drew these circles or used these symbols.
There was a lot more of course, but this was the kind of thing I spent my art class discussing with a teacher. To get a sense of the arguments leveled against D&D players, see Mike Stackpole's Pulling Report.

Your Tax Dollars at Work​

As a kid, I was excited about the opportunity to debate an adult publicly. My parents didn't fully understand what was happening and I didn't consider it a big enough deal to tell them. Although it was a badge of pride to take on the Satanic Panic so publicly, I also didn't really comprehend what was happening.

As an adult and a parent, I see this exchange very differently. A student and teacher are most certainly not equals, and the literature Mr. P brought in was religious in nature. There are a lot of things wrong with these exchanges, not the least of which being this teacher was bullying a student during school hours on school property and not actually doing his job.

As much as Stranger Things would like to make its villains fellow students, our critics were frequently more powerful, better connected, and protected by entrenched institutions. And they were almost always adults.

Mr. P. was a terrible art teacher, but he taught me an important lesson about how art can be perceived; be it a drawing of a demon, three numbers grouped together, or magic circles. I passed the class (he gave me a B, I think), but I learned a lot from him about what the outside world thought of my hobby.

Your Turn: How did you deal with the Satanic Panic when confronted with it?

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

Mad_Jack

Legend
A slight tangent, but I remember some of the same satanic-panic types also tried to raise a stink with Harry Potter when the books first game out. I was in law school at the time and in a very liberal state, so it was more something I read about than actually experienced. Was that really a thing? Or just journalists amplifying a very small, marginal, minority?

That particular movement got a lot of traction inside that particular segment of society (especially after the movies started coming out) but was largely laughed at by people outside of it since sooo many from all walks of life had joined the fandom surrounding it.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
That particular movement got a lot of traction inside that particular segment of society (especially after the movies started coming out) but was largely laughed at by people outside of it since sooo many from all walks of life had joined the fandom surrounding it.
That was my impression. I heard about some vocal complaints, but never to the level or anyone trying to ban the books from school, picketing the movie theaters, or anyone getting hassled by law enforcement over the books.

MGibster

Legend
A slight tangent, but I remember some of the same satanic-panic types also tried to raise a stink with Harry Potter when the books first game out. I was in law school at the time and in a very liberal state, so it was more something I read about than actually experienced. Was that really a thing? Or just journalists amplifying a very small, marginal, minority?
Oh, sure. These types of people never really go away entirely and I remember when they were railing against the Goosebumps books and television show in the 1990s. Yeah, those people also railed against Harry Potter. But, as with Goosebumps, this discontent was largely confined to a very narrow demographic of Evangelical Christians. It never hit the mainstream like Satanic Panic had during the 80s and early 90s.

These days, I know that my boss has been DMing a game for decades and at least half-a-dozen coworkers play or did play. One of my coworkers even had Dave Arneson for a teacher in college. Times have indeed changed.

I find board games are different. "Game nights" have become very socially acceptable and common, at least among my North American and European colleagues.

Saying I play D&D would still raise some eyebrows and, apparently, I don't seem to type. So when I have shared the hobby, their is always a bit of disbelief. Stereotypes die hard.

Voadam

Legend
Apparently the most challenged book of the decade 2000-2009.

Here is the American Library Association's top 10 banned books by year.

Stormonu

Legend
Had an extended family friend denounce it, but that’s about all I remember. Local bookstore had a special midnight release, with folks coming in cosplay for it.

At around the same time, we had a local pastor burning Pokémon as some sort of demon monsters, so no consistency.

Just as an FYI, the county I lived in in MS, until college was a “dry” county (no alcohol) until recently, and you still have to wait until after noon on Sunday to buy any alcohol. Heck, churches twice blocked getting a local Hooters about ten years ago, nowadays no one cares.

One of the funniest tales my wife likes to tell from pre-2000 was about the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism- not Anarchy, that’s another story) was when the local Gulf Wars was looking for a site, they went to a local “dude ranch” that also happened to do a lot of bible camps. The owner was wary that the SCA was part of some Satanist group movement (from listening to the Bible camp organizer warnings), but after showing them some videos of other events, the SCA was able to secure the site. After the actual three-day party, the SCA cleaned up the fields (I spent an afternoon shoveling horse manure off that field, BTW), cleaned the buildings - including the kitchens, and put all the camping equipment back where it belonged. The owner was impressed, to the point that the Bible camps - who would generally leave things a mess - were told to find other sites for their camps.

Stormonu

Legend
Their Office of Intellectual Freedom started tracking data on banned books in 1990, so they don't have information on banned books from the 80s. Interesting that D&D does not appear in their lists of banned books for any decade since 1990.
I seem to remember a display back in my library in CA (which would have been back in the ‘80s) with the various Wizard of Oz books, discussing how they had been banned in some areas, and my library had the display to encourage folks to read and judge them for themselves.

pantsorama

Explorer
This whole satanic panic thing feel laughably surpersitious and retrograde... It also feels like a very Protestant thing. I didn't play D&D in that era but I don't recall even hearing about such things until much later.
Except for the fact that we are going through the same thing today. This is what Q anon is based in - a lot of today's CTs traffic in the same Satanic Panic tropes. It is far too convenient a tool for the reactionary crowd to ever give up on. The thing about the SP in the 80s is that it was a cultural movement where you could pin anxieties about public schooling and exposure to new cultures / ideas on it being a tool of "subversive" (read inherantly and unassailably corrupting) elements. As such it encompassed so much more than D&D. It covered Heavy Metal music, sex education, psychiatry / therapy as well as D&D. To this day, outside of gamer circles, most people think it was about Daycares being run by Satanists. So, no - it is not retrograde - it is current.

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads