D&D 5E Turn into vampire with wish?

Stalker0

Legend
As the dm what I would do is allow it, but let the player know:

“ultimately this is too powerful to allow long term, so the goal here is you are going to succumb to your instincts and eventually turn and our leave the party and become an npc”.

and then let the player role play it out. Hence this becomes a cool cinematic boon instead of a long term OP issue.

Oofta

Legend
Another thought on this is that it simply doesn't work. Why? Because a wish can be used to replicate a spell of 8th level or lower and what the PC is asking for is a True Polymorph spell. That is a 9th level spell. It's also limited to CR equal to or less than the target. While PC levels don't directly correlate to CR, a 10th level monk is not a CR 13 creature.

So I would rule that wish cannot do something that a 9th level spell that specifically addresses what the wish is attempting cannot. True Polymorph allows the target to retain their alignment, personality and abilities (if the new form allows them). Using a wish? A vampire pops in and instantly kills the target. Congratulations, you are now a vampire spawn under the control of your master.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
As the dm what I would do is allow it, but let the player know:

“ultimately this is too powerful to allow long term, so the goal here is you are going to succumb to your instincts and eventually turn and our leave the party and become an npc”.

and then let the player role play it out. Hence this becomes a cool cinematic boon instead of a long term OP issue.
I'd do similar. In fact, we'd probably discuss it openly at the table, with feedback from all players, until we came up with a story that was appropriately "be careful what you wish for" (for the character) while being something that the player, the DM, and the other players, would all find fun and interesting.

Then we'd say "that happens". And see where it goes from there.

But then, we've been a pretty tight group for fourteen years now. Lots of trust.

Off-menu uses of Wish are entirely a DM call, so you have to talk to your DM.

If I were the DM I'd probably allow it with Wish as cast by a 17+ level spellcaster who learned Wish, because risking ever being able to cast their best spell again is a serious sacrifice, vampires aren't so wildly overpowered at that point, and by time players are innately using 9th level magic the campaign is probably winding down anyway.

In a case like this, with a scroll, I can't say what I'd do. Vampirism is more overpowered at this point, and you aren't risking losing a powerful spell. That said, if I as DM put a scroll of Wish in the game I might be hoping for some wild chaos. If it was just written into the module and I didn't want the PCs to do something crazy with it I'd just omit it. But your DM might have not felt the same about something written into the module. Your DM might also just be hoping for a chance to monkey's paw a wish.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Would no one just have the spell not work or just say no if they're so concerned about the vampire PC?

If the source of the wish is friendly (or even neutral) then you get what you want or as close as the wish is capable of (in this case, IMO, either the wish fails or you are temporarily turned into a vampire, permanent vampirism would be beyond the wish's power)

If the source is not friendly( say an efreet grudgingly giving a wish)? Well then it's going to get twisted. Don't take a wish from an untrusted source!

beancounter

(I/Me/Mine)
Yes, with the current 5E rules, wishing for anything other than duplicating a spell can come with great risks.

So, given the risks, I would go for broke, and wish to be a lich.

so I'm a 10 level monk and I'm trying to turn into a vampire with wish because i want to be able to buff my movement speed and attacks. can i turn into a vampire with the wish spell? (we are currently at Candle Keep with a spell scroll of wish)
Why not use the wish to buff you movement and attacks? Turn into a Tabaxi instead. They are super-fast. Wish for gauntlets to boost your attacks. I mean....does your character want to become an evil undead that kills people? That seems...selfish and evil. Or do you, the player, just want a boost in power? There are lots of ways to get that. Wish for the location of a powerful monk artifact or something.

As a DM, I'd allow it. But, you know...you're a vampire and they have very specific instincts. Also, you can't travel during the day anymore. And you have to rest in your coffin at night. Probably, the first thing that would happen is you'd get attacked by a vampire on the first night you slept in a town. And you'd die. Then come back in a few days as a vampire. Ultimately, your party might choose to destroy you.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases