Two Questions about Savage Worlds

I've recently finished reading through Savage Worlds, and am excited to give it a try. I'm thinking of actually running a trilogy where we take the same characters through three adventures using three different systems (just convert the characters between each adventure). My thoughts are Savage Worlds, Fate (Core or Accelerated based on group preference) and d6 (standard or the Mini-Six variety). I'm thinking of doing an 80's action comedy with a bit of fantasy (think movies like Big Trouble in Little China). Okay, the details were just because I'm excited about it. Here are the questions:

1. How fast is Savage Worlds in actual play? I must admit it that while is has quality design and looks really fun, it doesn't really look as super-fast as I was expecting. How would it fit on a scale that included both d20 and D&D Next (since a lot of people are familiar with those)?

2. Where in wide web of "this needs to exist" can a I find an online card dealer for an online group to use with Savage Worlds? I may be playing this with my online group, and I'd rather not just have to draw all the cards myself. But I also really want to use the cards, so I will draw them myself if I have to. I understand that Fantasy Grounds and Maptool have tools for this, but I won't be using any of those systems, so I really need an independant app of some sort. I really can't believe this doesn't exist somewhere.

A

amerigoV

On 2. - Roll20 supports using cards for initiative. You draw the card (online, of course), and then drag it over to the initiative tracker thing and put it on the character.

On 1. I cannot speak to Next, but its faster than 3e by a ton. Early on, you have the usual player learning curve. Keep in mind there is a nice level of tactical to the game and Savage Worlds is not going fix indecisive players. Where the speed really comes (IMO) is on the GM side. I am not looking down at the paperwork marking of bits and pieces of hit points. Extras are up, down, or Shaken - easy. My head is up and engaging players (at the table anyway). The rules flow well enough that one rarely ever looks things up. I think the speed of resolution for the GM helps keep those distracted players (like me!) into the game. Plus exploding/acing dice just gets everyone's attention because they know something big is about to happen.

innerdude

Legend
I've recently finished reading through Savage Worlds, and am excited to give it a try. I'm thinking of actually running a trilogy where we take the same characters through three adventures using three different systems (just convert the characters between each adventure). My thoughts are Savage Worlds, Fate (Core or Accelerated based on group preference) and d6 (standard or the Mini-Six variety). I'm thinking of doing an 80's action comedy with a bit of fantasy (think movies like Big Trouble in Little China). Okay, the details were just because I'm excited about it. Here are the questions:

1. How fast is Savage Worlds in actual play? I must admit it that while is has quality design and looks really fun, it doesn't really look as super-fast as I was expecting. How would it fit on a scale that included both d20 and D&D Next (since a lot of people are familiar with those)?

2. Where in wide web of "this needs to exist" can a I find an online card dealer for an online group to use with Savage Worlds? I may be playing this with my online group, and I'd rather not just have to draw all the cards myself. But I also really want to use the cards, so I will draw them myself if I have to. I understand that Fantasy Grounds and Maptool have tools for this, but I won't be using any of those systems, so I really need an independant app of some sort. I really can't believe this doesn't exist somewhere.
@amerigoV already mentioned the relevant bits, but maybe I can add something . . .

1. Speed -- Almost without question, it's going to be faster than any version of D&D not named "BECMI." And in some ways, it might even be faster than BECMI, since once you get the hang of it, "improvising" with Savage Worlds is a breeze, and easy to make consistent within the existing rules structure.

That said, in combat, Savage Worlds can slow down a bit depending on how fast your players make decisions (though it's nowhere NEAR as bad as 3e or 4e). While Savage doesn't try be as "hardcore" about tactical battle options as 4e, there's still quite a few choices available to every character on every round--should the player gang up with a buddy? Fall back and take aim? Move in for a wild attack? Take a multi-action penalty to try and taunt and attack in the same round?

That said, battles are never, ever boring, from the smallest skirmish to big "set piece" battles, with massive numbers of "mooks" flanked by one or more Wild Cards. As a GM, use Savage Worlds' strengths to your advantage--use the environment, let characters improvise, encourage taunts, tests of will, and tricks.

To me, Savage combat combines the best of 3e's and 4e's tactical options (though massively streamlined), with the fluidity and improvisational ability of BECMI.

But nothing will ever beat Savage's ease of preparation as a GM. Seriously, if you're spending more than 3 hours a month prepping for Savage, you're doing it wrong.

2. As suggested, Roll20 has it built in. There's also a really cool Savage Die roller app for download out there somewhere that includes the card dealing portion as well. To my knowledge though, this app is only for MS Windows PCs (no iPad or Android).

Obryn

Hero
I found it to be pretty fast, but there are a number of small, stacking modifiers to track, especially when people start getting wounded, prone, cover, outnumbered, etc.

jcayer

Explorer
When we switched over to SW, we also dropped the grid and play combat faster and looser than we ever thought we could. These guys went from hardcore tactical 4E players, to give us more story and RP. It's really a very different feel....if you engage in combat with the 4E mindset, it will take just as long.

Thanks for the responses.

I really like the general philosophy of SW, where the system is a hybrid simulationist/narrativist. Stuff is believable--for instance weapons doing damaged based on what seems realistic rather than what seems to fit a story--while including baked in narrativist mechanics and dials to create the story experience you want. My own system is similar in that philosophy, so I'm glad to see that kind of thing is popular!

I think I was more or less correct in my estimates based on the answers. I think the biggest things to slow it down are either going to be things that are fun (like exploding dice and wild dice), or the fiddly modifiers to a lot of actions. I was actually surprised when I got to the sections of book with the sizable weapon tables and rules for various types of gunfire. Also the different stacking modifiers for various sorts of actions and skill uses.

After we try it as written, I might considering seeing if I can try a lite version by simply eliminating the codified modifiers and limiting modifiers to the +2, -2, or -4 mentioned at the beginning of the task resolution system. If that's all you have to think of, task resolution would be a breeze outside of combat. Not sure how to simplify weapon stats, but I'm sure I can come up with something.

In any event I'm pretty excited to give it a spin. :) The narrativist/simulationist hybrid works for me.

Remove ads