D&D 5E Two Weapon Fighting

the_move

First Post
The biggest reason you don't see more TWF is the PAM feat. You get the bonus attack, that you can use GWM with, and your ability modifier with just 1 feat. Plus you get the added benefit of GWF style.

I'd say just let dual wielders have their ability modifier on both attacks and call it day.

I call it night, since this would overshadow twohanders at early levels. If you want your ability modifier added to your off-hand, dip 2 levels into fighter or ranger to get the proper fighting style. Preferably fighter, since you earn Action Surge on top.

A fighter/paladin would hereby earn two fighting styles, preferably twf and defense. The Dual Wielder feat grants access to d8 weaponry on top of another +1 AC and the ability to draw both weapons the same turn. Dipping another lvl into fighter introduces the Battlemaster, and since I am talking about a paladin - hopefully with a good charisma score - Rally could be put to good use, though Riposte, Precision Strike, Menacing Attack, or whatever might be more appealing.

Along with Hunter's Mark (Oath of Vengeance), Divine Smite, Improved Divine Smite, and maybe superiority dice combined with the Vow of Emnity this can get as serious as a GWF combatant even at higher lvls IMHO.

Last edited:

Kithas

First Post
I call it night, since this would overshadow twohanders at early levels. If you want your ability modifier added to your off-hand, dip 2 levels into fighter or ranger to get the proper fighting style. Preferably fighter, since you earn Action Surge on top.

A fighter/paladin would hereby earn two fighting styles, preferably twf and defense. The Dual Wielder feat grants access to d8 weaponry on top of another +1 AC and the ability to draw both weapons the same turn. Dipping another lvl into fighter introduces the Battlemaster, and since I am talking about a paladin - hopefully with a good charisma score - Rally could be put to good use, though Riposte, Precision Strike, Menacing Attack, or whatever might be more appealing.

Along with Hunter's Mark (Oath of Vengeance), Divine Smite, Improved Divine Smite, and maybe superiority dice combined with the Vow of Emnity this can get as serious as a GWF combatant even at higher lvls IMHO.
This is actually an incredible build and quite good lahegame too with improved divine smite. Any paladin oath is good because you get divine favor/crusaders mantle which dont tie up your bonus action sowe turns.
In general twf is great, you just need to build around it it is easily competitive.

the_move

First Post
This could also work with dex weapons, since the rapier is a d8, one handed, finesse weapon.
Human variant with DEX/CHA +1 and Dual Wielder bonus feat might give a good start.
Does not matter, if you start with fighter and multiclass into paladin, or vice versa, since with DEX and CHA you meet the prerequisites for both.
Personally I would go Fighter first, since you get proficiency on Con saves. That and your protective aura will make it very hard to break your concentration even without War Caster. On the other hand going Pala first will give you proficiency on Wis saves. Both are great choices imho.

Start with scale male (affordable) and as soon as you improve your DEX score, switch to light armor. If you want to be more offensive start with fighter and get more mileage for your off-hand attack by lvl 2. If you want more defense start with paladin. Your AC will be at 18 at lvl 2, comparable to a full plate.

Last edited:

Edello

First Post
Two-weapon fighting is more effective with Hex, Hunter's Mark, Sneak Attack and Smite, but you'll notice two of those require a bonus action to apply, so they compete with the attack itself. So while a dual-wielding warlock can Hex and attack for 2d6+Str on the first round, a greatsword warlock can Hex and hit for 3d6+Str. For sneak attackers, it also competes with Cunning Action.

Also, Sneak Attack may only be used once per round, so you need to choose to sneak attack on your main attack, or bonus attack.

Hex, Hunter's Mark, and Divine Smite all require spell slot, and thus require a juggling of resources to use effectively. Divine Smite requires a spell slot per attack, thus you are using at least two slots if you're using it on both attacks.

Still insane tho.

Remove ads