D&D 5E UA Ranger Actual Play Report

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Dang, this is good! I can't wait to tune in for the next exciting episode.

Sounds to me like Von Grissle is pretty well balanced. Certainly this is just 1st level, but it is good to hear how the Revised Ranger works from 1 up.

Thanks for the report!

Thanks for reading!

Based on planning done at the end of the session, the player will probably not be taking Von Grissle on the fifth expedition, preferring to take his Trickery Cleric 2/Rogue 1, Elron Huckabee of the Church of the Illuminated Coin. He thinks they'll need a cleric with turn undead to deal with the Sarcophagus of Nuada the Famished and the Sepulcher of Hecubus the Damned. My guess is the expedition team members for the fifth delve will be Bruenor, Elron, Lucien, and Kung (dragonborn barbarian).

Next UA ranger report, barring me running a one-shot in the interim where a player takes one, will likely be on 10/22 at the earliest.

Mercule

Adventurer
On another note, I can totally see a change in how long the spotlight would shine on the Ranger an his companion, that is not something I thought about until you brought it up.
I hadn't, either. Not sure I'm really concerned seeing how often the Wizard (or other artillery character) rolls (or causes me to roll) attack/saves for a dozen critters in a single action. The Battle Master rolls two attacks (three, actually, with TWF) and often has to figure out whether she wants to use a superiority die. There are ways for almost any class to run away with the spotlight for at least a short while.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
I hadn't, either. Not sure I'm really concerned seeing how often the Wizard (or other artillery character) rolls (or causes me to roll) attack/saves for a dozen critters in a single action. The Battle Master rolls two attacks (three, actually, with TWF) and often has to figure out whether she wants to use a superiority die. There are ways for almost any class to run away with the spotlight for at least a short while.

Yeah, I would prefer to see it in game before I pass any judgments on it myself. You are correct as well, though I think some of that will depend on the player and if they are the proactive, have a plan in mind, or more reactionary and like to wait until it is there turn to see what action is needed.

Maybe, I will luck out and get someone to roll a UA ranger when I next dm. (I still get to play some! Yay!)

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
You can cover your butt easily enough in this case. If you say no and then later decide there is a dragon, you can just say it was out hunting beyond the ranger's 5-mile limit at that exact moment ... or else it has protection from divination magic or something.

That sounds like arbitrarily negating character features and discarding player agency in looking for them.

If you do roll random encounters and a dragon is reasonably possible, tell them yes and the info. If they move to avoid it, replace a dragon encounter with no encounter - they used the info and took action to avoid it, reward them. If they move it it's direction anyhow make it a lot more likely to pop-up as a random encounter. If they hunt it, then make it happen. (Though depending on how carefully, maybe not on the character's terms.)

blueherald

First Post
The way lore names are casually thrown around in these posts is very compelling . Is this Delve campaign based on published references I am not catching? "before the dungeon disappears back into the Shade" certainly is a good reason to get in and get out!

"Holy Brigadoon , Batman! We can't afford a short rest!"

Last edited:

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
The way lore names are casually thrown around in these posts is very compelling . Is this Delve campaign based on published references I an mot catching. "before the dungeon disappears back into the Shade" certainly is a good reason to get in and get out!

"Holy Brigadoon , Batman! We can't afford a short rest!"

It's my own creation. I've used some maps I found online for dungeon levels, but the lore and contents of the dungeon are mine.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Looks like someone is foolishly taking a UA ranger to my Saturday night session. So the fifth expedition to The Delve will be Elron (Human Cleric 2/Rogue 1), Lucien (Forest Gnome Wizard 2), Gil (Human Fighter 1), and Feng (Half-Orc Ranger 1). With the first and second levels of the dungeon mostly cleared, the PCs are heading to the shaft in Captain Argh's quarters that leads to somewhere below Level 3. But of course they'll have to traverse the Duskwood first where I'm sure the UA ranger will be most useful.

I'll report back. Anyone else got any UA actual play reports?

Kyvin

Explorer
There's an aarakocra hunter ranger in my princes campaign. He's using a glaive with polearm master. The players just hit 8th level. I've switched him over to the revised ranger and there's been two sessions so far.

I definitely like the changes and don't see it as overpowered. However, I do think the abilities need to be spaced out and don't like the advantage for initiative. I'm actually just going to have him use prof bonus added to initiative. He is doing quite a bit of damage to single targets but not overshadowing the paladin or assassin/fighter. There used to be a barbarian in the party with great weapon master and I felt like they were the star of every combat. I'm not a fan of the advantage on initiative player going first nearly every encounter.

My suggestions during the survey were:
Change humanoid favored enemies to 2 choices.
Move ignore difficult terrain to the 8th level fleet of foot ability.
Change initiative advantage to prof bonus and move it to 3rd level (get rid of the whole beast understanding thing and the weird favored enemy radar-it just doesn't make sense to me at all)
Whirlwind ability should allow for reach weapons (and I'll just houserule it that way anyway)
And we need more ranger spells (especially for melee rangers)

Remove ads