• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) UA Ranger (Playtest 6)

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I don't know, I think a stronger narrative for rangers is "survivalist", independent of any specific terrain. I think they're the only class who's abilities are location dependant. They shouldn't be.
I don’t disagree, but apparently terrain-based features was something they got a lot of requests for. If that’s something they’re going to need to have, I’m glad they can at least be swapped out for a different terrain after a long rest.

Sulicius

Adventurer
A lot of people not reading what what they’re discussing. A team of professional game designers tested hunter’s mark without concentration, and it was overpowered.

It is right there in the document.

Has anyone here play tested HM without concentration?

I know people are just going to ignore this, and believe they know more about what is good for the game.

mellored

Legend
I don’t disagree, but apparently terrain-based features was something they got a lot of requests for. If that’s something they’re going to need to have, I’m glad they can at least be swapped out for a different terrain after a long rest.
The difference now is that they don't consider it a main feature.

You get it along with other stuff.

Vael

Legend
My guess is that a Hunter's Mark without concentration becomes the target of multiclassing shenanigans. Allowing it to combine with Hex, for example. But no, I haven't done a thorough test on the matter.

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
Honestly, I feel like the new Deft Explorer feature is still even a nerf from the original Natural Explorer feature it's trying to harken back to. For Natural Explorer you had double proficiency for ALL Intelligence and Wisdom skills you were proficient in (which for the Wisdom skills in particular you were probably going to have a couple of them at least) pertaining to your terrain of choice, on top of extra features you would gain after spending an hour in said terrain such as not being hindered by difficult terrain, not getting lost by mundane means, and other situational effects.

I feel like if they want to add terrain features, they need to be more integrated into the whole of the class, not just slapped on to replace a feature that basically did a similar thing but without needed to spend a day to attune for if you didn't already have the right one.

Heck, make a feature and call it Channel Terrain and given them features like resistances or the ability to summon a land spirit or something, I don't know. I don't have a problem with the terrain connection but make it more impactful or something,

Sulicius

Adventurer
Honestly, I feel like the new Deft Explorer feature is still even a nerf from the original Natural Explorer feature it's trying to harken back to. For Natural Explorer you had double proficiency for ALL Intelligence and Wisdom skills you were proficient in (which for the Wisdom skills in particular you were probably going to have a couple of them at least) pertaining to your terrain of choice, on top of extra features you would gain after spending an hour in said terrain such as not being hindered by difficult terrain, not getting lost by mundane means, and other situational effects.

I feel like if they want to add terrain features, they need to be more integrated into the whole of the class, not just slapped on to replace a feature that basically did a similar thing but without needed to spend a day to attune for if you didn't already have the right one.

Heck, make a feature and call it Channel Terrain and given them features like resistances or the ability to summon a land spirit or something, I don't know. I don't have a problem with the terrain connection but make it more impactful or something,
It looks like they intentionally made it a ribbon feature.

Horwath

Legend
My guess is that a Hunter's Mark without concentration becomes the target of multiclassing shenanigans. Allowing it to combine with Hex, for example. But no, I haven't done a thorough test on the matter.
then the problem is multiclassing, not the concetration on Hunter's mark.

Right now, with druid I see starting as 1st level cleric, then druid, picking heavy armor mastery plus moon druid. might be broken, might not.

Horwath

Legend
A lot of people not reading what what they’re discussing. A team of professional game designers tested hunter’s mark without concentration, and it was overpowered.

It is right there in the document.

Has anyone here play tested HM without concentration?

I know people are just going to ignore this, and believe they know more about what is good for the game.
I did.
Having this and Pass without trace at the same time did not feel broken at all.
it's about 2,3 damage per attack.

And now in new playtest it's only once per turn damage.
making it that no one will waste Conc slot on it.

Remove ads