• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) UA Ranger (Playtest 6)

Vael

Legend
then the problem is multiclassing, not the concetration on Hunter's mark.

Right now, with druid I see starting as 1st level cleric, then druid, picking heavy armor mastery plus moon druid. might be broken, might not.

I mean, you're not wrong, I've always hated a la carte multiclassing the way 5e and 3rd edition did it, but I've also realized that this was a fight I have lost, given the greater prominence (putting it right into each class write up) it's been given.

If nothing else, I am seeing some fixes, like tying class unique cantrips to leveling up with class levels. So no more dipping for a full Eldritch Blast anymore.

Sulicius

Adventurer
I did.
Having this and Pass without trace at the same time did not feel broken at all.
it's about 2,3 damage per attack.

And now in new playtest it's only once per turn damage.
making it that no one will waste Conc slot on it.
People waste a concentration slot now, why would they stop doing it?

Horwath

Legend
People waste a concentration slot now, why would they stop doing it?
well, at level 5 you could get 3 attacks per round, plus maybe reaction sometimes.
then, 3 attacks are +6,9 damage per round, with only once per turn it's about 3,9 damage per turn extra.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I did.
Having this and Pass without trace at the same time did not feel broken at all.
it's about 2,3 damage per attack.

And now in new playtest it's only once per turn damage.
making it that no one will waste Conc slot on it.
The issue isn't running a strong combat spell and a strong utility spell.

It is running 2 strong combat spells at once.

something is taken away always when something is added.

so to rephrase that, 2 expertise instead of 1 and a bonus (bad)3rd level spell known.
Actually conjure barrage is not that bad anymore. Force damage is solid. 5d8 is 3rd level benchmark damage.
So it is not way behind a fireball (5-40 force damage, no friendly fire vs. 8-48 fire damage, friendly fire).

Yes, wisdom is not your primary stat. It might be your secondary however. You should be able to afford a 14.
I would probably not prepare it, but is a fine spell to use.

Do I like it to be used with a melee weapon? No. A thrown weapon at least. Now I Imagine throwing up a dagger that splits and hits a group of goblins, killing them all in one go. Not bad at all.

Janet does and has more than most people think "an survivalist" should have.

A D&D survivalist will have overtly fantastical and likely magical features.

Ie, were negotiating ourselves out of good ideas ahead of time based on the assumed whims of people not present in this conversation.

Remove ads