Ukraine invasion

Horwath

Legend
Spanked, maybe. But they didn’t provoke direct intervention because of the nuclear threat. And may end up with largely what they wanted anyway.
My guess is the next actual test will be in Bosnia and Herzegovina with Serbian proxies while Russian colonists will start agitating in the Baltics, all funded with Russian oil money.
that is why it's best to hold Russia under total sanctions for next 20 or so years or until the give up any claim on Ukraine whatsoever.

Zardnaar

Legend
that is why it's best to hold Russia under total sanctions for next 20 or so years or until the give up any claim on Ukraine whatsoever.

Basically my opinion. And if Ukraine is forced to sign over land confiscate the frozen reserves and hand them over to Ukraine.

Hussar

Legend
I never actually realized just how small the Russian economy is. That's mind blowing. We're talking a country with a smaller GDP than Canada. Good grief, Canada barely has an armed forces any more. Tiny military.

Then again, let's not forget that in 1991, the third largest armed forces in the world was Iraq. And it lasted, what, three months against the Americans?

I guess when you spend more than the entire world combined on your military for decades, you kinda pull ahead of everyone else.

Zardnaar

Legend
I never actually realized just how small the Russian economy is. That's mind blowing. We're talking a country with a smaller GDP than Canada. Good grief, Canada barely has an armed forces any more. Tiny military.

Then again, let's not forget that in 1991, the third largest armed forces in the world was Iraq. And it lasted, what, three months against the Americans?

I guess when you spend more than the entire world combined on your military for decades, you kinda pull ahead of everyone else.

Yeah they have a large army the same way North Korea has nukes.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Basically my opinion. And if Ukraine is forced to sign over land confiscate the frozen reserves and hand them over to Ukraine.

Maybe. But I don't expect that'll happen. Gettign the world to act together while the war and active shootign is going on is one thing. Getting them to make a long-term policy out of it is another.

The US military, having been extended out into the world so much, also knows logistics. That's not a thing that comes just from having money. You need to do a lot of work in the field to get logistics and supply to function properly.

Zardnaar

Legend
Maybe. But I don't expect that'll happen. Gettign the world to act together while the war and active shootign is going on is one thing. Getting them to make a long-term policy out of it is another.

The US military, having been extended out into the world so much, also knows logistics. That's not a thing that comes just from having money. You need to do a lot of work in the field to get logistics and supply to function properly.

It's mostly money though. Costs heaps for those airlifters, fuel tankers for the Abrams and various trucks. Not to mention aircraft carriers.

That's the difference between a 750+ billion military budget and everyone else. Hell it's probably over a trillion with indirect costs (veterens benefits, corporate shenanigans etc).

Soviet Union at its height couldn't project power like the USA.

Even with PPP Russia's 60 billion is effectively 180 billion or so.

Hussar

Legend

Oh sure. Sorry I wasn’t making light. I am actually pretty impressed with the US military.

For all the poop that people fling at the US for its foreign policies, IMO, the US has always been remarkably restrained in its use of force.

Put it in perspective. Both the US and Russia spent similar amounts of time in Afghanistan. About twenty years. The Russians killed about 1.5 million Afghans in that time. The Americans about 15000.

Imagine what the US could actually do if it chose to and it’s quite terrifying.

Remove ads