Uncanny Dodge vs Blindness?

Xahn'Tyr

First Post
Uncanny Dodge: At 3rd level and above, she retains her
Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) if caught flat-footed or struck by
an invisible attacker.
So what if she is blind but her attacker is not (otherwise) invisible?

Is being blind the same as making everyone else invisible? Or does the fact that you can still see your surrounding etc. make fighting invisible opponents a little easier than fighting while blind?

kreynolds

First Post
As far as penalties are concerned, blindess is treated as though everyone else were invisible. Either way, it doesn't matter if she or her opponent is blind. A rouge never loses her Dex bonus to AC unless by another rogue or barbarian at least 4 levels higher.

Last edited:

pontus

First Post
kreynolds said:
As far as penalties are concerned, blindess is treated as though everyone else were invisible.
This is true.
Either way, it doesn't matter if she or her opponent is blind. A rouge never loses her Dex bonus to AC unless by another rogue or barbarian at least 4 levels higher.
This is not. Uncanny dodge makes you retain your Dex bonus to AC when you're caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. Always. No matter how high a level in any class your attacker is. Uncanny dodge never lets you keep your Dexterity bonus to AC when stunned, climbing, balancing a tightrope etc etc.

kreynolds

First Post
kreynolds said:
A rouge never loses her Dex bonus to AC unless by another rogue or barbarian at least 4 levels higher.

My bad. I was thinking of flanking. In the case of flanking, it does apply.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
kreynolds said:
A rouge never loses her Dex bonus to AC unless by another rogue or barbarian at least 4 levels higher.

I've heard a lot about this mysterious class. Apparently, it grants 3 levels' worth of Uncanny Dodge, except it is negated by high-level barbarians and rogues.

The rogue core class, by contrast, keeps her Dex bonus to AC (as long as she's not immobilized) on level 3, regardless of who attacks her. She can only be flanked by a rogue (not a barbarian) who is 4+ levels higher on level 6.

Rashak Mani

First Post
My Rogue once, on guard duty, was ambushed by an invisible assassin and the uncanny dodge kicked in just the same... wierd if you think about it... :)

Logically thinking a blind person can depend only on hearing... while versus an invisible person you can get hearing plus some minor visual clues to the creatures whereabouts... so logically speaking and not ruleswise being blind should be worse.

Darklone

pontus said:
This is not. Uncanny dodge makes you retain your Dex bonus to AC when you're caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. Always. No matter how high a level in any class your attacker is. Uncanny dodge never lets you keep your Dexterity bonus to AC when stunned, climbing, balancing a tightrope etc etc.

This sounds wrong. You are not helpless nor stunned when climbing, thus you retain your dex bonus then with uncanny dodge.

Xahn'Tyr

First Post
Where does it say that Uncanny Dodge let's you keep your Dex bonus "except when stunned or helpless"? In the SRD, at least, it says stuff like this:
Uncanny Dodge: At 2nd level and above, the barbarian retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) if caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker.
There is no mention of being stunned, helpless, climing, or anything besided being flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker.

It seems that most people think this also implies "or when blind" but I'm not too sure of that myself. Regardless of the fact that blindness and invisibility use the same penaties to hit and such, I think being blind is much worse than simply being attacked by someone you can't see. If you can see your surroundings, where your allies are attacking, footprints appearing in the dirt, etc, then you can defend yourself much better than you could if you were completely blind. But when in doubt, I'd rather rule in the player's favor.

kreynolds

First Post
Description of Blinded condition from SRD (Don't worry, I'm going somewhere with this):

Blinded: The character cannot see at all, and thus everything has full concealment to him. He has a 50% chance to miss in combat, loses his positive Dexterity bonus to AC (if any), and grants a +2 bonus on attack rolls to enemies that attack him, just as if all his enemies were invisible. He moves at half speed and suffers a -4 penalty on most Strength and Dexterity-based skills. He cannot make Spot skill checks or perform any other activity (such as reading) that requires vision.

A blinded rogue suffers ALL of the penalties above EXCEPT she DOES NOT lose her Dex bonus to AC. I think that's it ya'll. What else is there to discuss?

Remove ads