Under strange stars

Someone

Adventurer
It´s hot. And humid. The kind of humid hot that traveller say asphixiates you in the jungle; or maybe not so extreme, since some of you have been in the jungle and know that´s a lot worse than this. But it´s still uncomfortable.

“There´s only 900 dinars here” one of you say.

“And?”

“Our agreement was 1000”

“Oh yes, oh yes, it´s true” says Ahmed. Ahmed is a small and hunched man that looks like if he had a sizeable part of mouse blood. “Very true. But see, I don´t have all the cash. I expected to, but don´t have. Nononononono, you won´t need that thing” says nervously when half a blade shines outside the sheath. “See, someone had a debt with me, I hoped he would pay with sound money, but only had this book. I´m sure it´s worth the money.”

You look around. It´s a busy street in Tangrabah, and you´re seated in stools surrounding a small table that supports several glasses of wine. The narrow alley canalizes the sea breeze and somewhat refreshes the air, but not enough..

Inside the tavern, the owner keeps an eye on you, as he does on everyone outside.

Ahmed gets a leatherbound book from under his black tunic. “It belonged to... a rich man, Abu ibn Minah, I think. One of his servants brought that yesterday, instead of the money. Oh, come on, you can´t bleed a carrot. I swear you I´m dry. Look, if you don´t sell it for at least 100 dinars come to me the next week and I´ll buy it back, ok? I have someone already interested, but since I´m a man of honor it´s yours.”

You all in turn peruse the book casually while laughing to yourself when Ahmed says he´s a ´man of honor´. It´s a diary, the diary of a sailor, and you find some references to monsters and mounds of diamonds. It looks quite old, however the most recent writings do not. Though most things of this kind are false, it´s true it could be sold for a good money.

[OOC: don´t add the 900 dinars (equals 4500 D&D gp) to your available money. It´s supposed to be part of your starting cash. You know Ahmed from a long time ago; he seems to know a lot of people that detest him, and for what you know isn´t a danger to anyone. As usual, he sounds sincere.]

rangerjohn

Explorer
"Well, we do go back aways, Ahmed. So you know if I come back in a week and you don't have the money...... " Al-Kazar say in a friendly tone that turns menacing. He turns to the rest "What do you think?"

Someone

Adventurer
"Oh yes, oh yes, I´d never dream on deceiving such noble and important people" says Ahmed. "The book is fine, as I said."

[OOC: I forgot to mention: in the forst post I made your characters do things that you could or not agree with. That´s actually not my style, and only was intended to put things into motion.]

Zerth

First Post
Amira, female human Clr3 /Sor 4 /Mystic Theurge 3

Amira looked at Ahmad with her blue eyes, her voice pleasant as usual. "I'm sure you wouldn't."

Then looking at Al-Kazar, "Well, I see no harm, if we keep this book for a week to see what's it worth. Looks like stories written by a sailor with all too rich imagination to me, but somebody might find it entertaining and pay some dinars for it."

She elegantly took a sip of her wine - the most expensive you can get in a place like this - and waited for the others to speak.

Synchronicity

First Post
Ormazd the Inscrutable, male human Sorcerer 10

"Your plan is sound, Captain. For is it not said, knowledge is power? Besides.."

Ormazd leans towards Achmed, looking him straight in the eyes.

"..If this one attempts to deceive us, he should know that Ormazd's arm is long, and that Ormazd does not deal kindly with liars. Ormazd knows you now, little man; and Ormazd can find you again."

There is no emotion in Ormazd's voice, only certainty; it's hard to tell which would be more unnerving.

Having finished speaking, Ormazd leans back again and regards Al-Kazad and Achmed mutely, evidently finished for now.

Last edited:

Someone

Adventurer
[Seems that consensus goes with taking the book. So...]

Ahmed gets up and stops to say a farewell formula, but seems to think it twice. Throwing a couple dirhems on the table, he turns his hunched back at you and promptly dissapears behind a shoemaker´s workshop.

Ormazd and Al-Khazar know someone that, in case you want to sell the book, could be interested. He´s a sage called Kyot: he´s always looking things related to the Far Realms, and lives in a small ship in the middle of the bay.

rangerjohn

Explorer
Al-Khazar looks to Ormazd, "You think old Kyot, might have some insight into this thing?" Turning to the Princess, "your probably right, but I think you of all people, would be the last to dismiss it. What with your encounters with the Gen.

Synchronicity

First Post
Ormazd the Inscrutable, male human Sorcerer 10

Ormazd bows slightly to Al-Khazad in response.

"Indeed, Captain. Ormazd considers the idea of consulting sage Kyot to be a wise one. It is said that in a forest of lies may truths be found; so too may it be with this book."

Ormazd bows again as he finishes speaking, and is silent.

Zerth

First Post
Amira, Princess and Mystic Theurge

rangerjohn said:
Turning to the Princess, "your probably right, but I think you of all people, would be the last to dismiss it. What with your encounters with the Gen.
Amira smiles. "Who said I wasn't interested about the book? No need to show it Ahmed, in case it proves to be worthless."

"Yes, let's pay a visit to the sage so we'll know better," she adds.

Last edited:

Rayex

First Post
Shin'nairo - Elven fighter10

"Yes, let us go see this Kyot. Might be this book is worth more than it seems, and if that is the case, it would not do to sell it cheaply." Shin'nairo agrees, obviously agitaded that they got less than they bargained for.

Remove ads