• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Under strange stars

rangerjohn

Explorer
Al-Khazad, Captain

"While all those things need to be done, they require little skill. That is why I discussed the division of labor, with Halima. Our expertise would be better used exploring the interior. Whether that is the bird's nest or something else. The only reason I suspect the nest was suggested, is it is the only thing, we are aware of at present. Besides the beach of course."

Zerth

First Post
Amira

Amira gazed ahead to the distant cliff, where the gigantic bird had it's nest. "I'm with the captain on this issue. If somebody's going deeper into the island - which I'm afraid we have to do - it's going to be us. Like he said, we might find other solutions once we venture further into the depths of this island."

Rayex

First Post
Shin'nairo

"I agree as well. We are best suited to figure out what that is.." She points at the nest(?) and looks at the captain. "And if those are indeed ships there might be something of interest in them."

Ashy

First Post
hafrogman said:
Menghil shrugs and takes on a more serious tone.

"If none of you wish to see the bird bird up close so soon, we could also simply scout the beaches for now, going around the edge. We might find some supplies washed up on shore, and we'd also find any fresh water that runs off the island."

Jagra makes an "oh-great" face at Menghil's comment about his demise being quick, but nods at the comment about fresh water. "Aye - we'er goin' to need this first, or else we'll all be food fer th' crabs before th' morrow..."

Someone

Adventurer
(I´m here again. Seems that three of you want to explore the interior, so there´s where you go. About the water, you didn´t help but notice that the ship´s cleric is fond of using Create Water -but not Create food and water-)

The border where the jungle meets the beach makes the woods look unassailable; a tangled mass of bushes and young trees agonize between lack of sunlight and the poor soil and salt water. Beyond that wall, the trees submerges you in the dark deepness of almost perpetual darkness -only here and there a fallen tree opens the canopy enough to allow an adventuring ray of sunligt to fall- A carped of rotten leaves creak under your feet, until you realize that the bugs that crawl under them are the ones that snap when you step on them. Little lizards and snakes look at you, angry for having disturbed their unchanging lives and quickly dissapear; sound of life echo around the living columns, their sources hidden from your sight and only show when you look sideways. Minutes after you enter the jungle, it starts to weight heavily -it´s too humid, and sweating doesn´t cool you.

The light becomes less green and more dark; it´ll be night soon. Just when you´re thinking on making camp or not, you make a discovery: what´s left of a road -just some stone labs, riding over roots and cracked by the jealous trees- and, more disturbing, three large* skulls on long sticks. The skulls have only one eye socket, on the centre of the forehead.** No other bones or skeletons are around.

*By large I mean Large.
**You´d expect the sticks were used to, er, stick the head on them and let the bugs do their work until only the skull remains. In that case, the stick should have the signs of some work, though they actually look too crude.

Ashy

First Post
Jagra looks at the skulls and lets out a low, long whistle. "If these are the ones'at lost, I'd hate to see the winners..."

hafrogman

Adventurer
Menghil shrugs at the staked heads and chuckles a little bit.

"Aww, we should come out okay, as long as we keep BOTH eyes peeled."

Despite his tone he draws his blade and watches the surrounding jungle warily.

Zerth

First Post
Amira looks at the big skulls with disgust. Does she recognize, what creatures they are? Regardless of the result, she says: "Those must be warning signs. I don't think we should rest here."

Someone

Adventurer
What´s big and have only one eye? :) Most of what you know are rumors; cyclopses are, as other giants, big and physically strong, and like the most of them are supposed to be dim witted and not above eating people. Though you´ve heard tales of giants being civilized sophisticated, though that, like with humans, doesn´t make them automatically helpful of altruistic.

Any special thing you´d like to do? I´ll assume you´ll continue walking until it´s dark if you don´t say otherwise. Also, I forgot to mention earlier that I´d need some kind of marching order.

Remove ads