• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Another New Ranger Variant

*Deleted by user*

Inconnunom

Explorer
I agree that Ambuscade doesn't count as auto-surprise for the assassin, but an assassin/ranger could gain surprise, and perform two Assassinate attacks with the Ambuscade feature.

I don't see how. I believe that as soon as you hit the target it is no longer surprised.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I agree that Ambuscade doesn't count as auto-surprise for the assassin, but an assassin/ranger could gain surprise and perform two Assassinate attacks with the Ambuscade feature.

Sure but you could do that with any multiclassing that grants multiple attacks, or any feat that grants a bonus action attack, etc.. You still need to gain the surprise, which is the hard part.

gweinel

Explorer
Ι don't like the flavor of it. The spirit guardian is not a ranger in my eyes. It is a shaman, or something else.

For me who wants to play a beastmaster, I am still looking for a decent build...

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I don't see how. I believe that as soon as you hit the target it is no longer surprised.

Nope he's correct on that aspect. "Any character or monster that doesn’t notice a threat is surprised at the start of the encounter. If you’re surprised, you can’t move or take an action on your first turn of the combat, and you can’t take a reaction until that turn ends."

jrowland

First Post
I don't know any sensible person who would take the Barbarian's choices, given that 1) it's a repeat occurrence (so over time, you go to the average), 2) everyone get's the max at first level anyway, and 3) if you're playing by the rules, a low roll is much more devastatingly bad than a high roll is good.

I was referring to "average" as in the PHB, not numerical average, except where I specify average rolls, where I assume numerical average.

Along with what you said, it's usually "better" for Barbarian to take average to avoid a big swing until you get about 30-60 hp such that the bad swing (rolling a 1, swing of 6) represents about 10-20% of your total HP (or whatever percentage you feel comfortable with). In other words, take average until "missing out on" 6 HP won't be such a big deal. Same for other classes, you clear the big deal mark earlier.

Ristamar

Adventurer
Sure but you could do that with any multiclassing that grants multiple attacks, or any feat that grants a bonus action attack, etc.. You still need to gain the surprise, which is the hard part.

There's nothing to indicate the Attack action during the Ambuscade round doesn't comes with all the extra attacks. A high level Fighter/Assassin with a one level dip in this ranger variant become extraordinarily deadly.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I guess I'm the only one who actually likes it ;)

2d6 HP? I don't mind at all. And I don't think it makes the ranger super tanky or anything. There are several factors to being a tanky PC: damage threshold (hp), how hard you are to hit (AC) and damage absorption (resistance). So while the ranger can have as many HP as the barbarian, he or she isn't nearly as tanky because the ranger only has the first part. The barbarian gets bonuses to AC and damage resistance. Remember, the ranger is limited to light armor only

level dipping? Remember, multi-classing is an optional rule. If you play with that rule, you have complete control to prevent everyone from level dipping into ranger.

Ambuscade is nice, but it's essentially just a bonus attack roll that goes first. It doesn't by itself grant surprise or advantage. And it's essentially only once per encounter.

jrowland

First Post
So what if Ambuscade was switched with Skirmishers Stealth? Primeval Awareness? In other words, if you had to get to level 2 or 3, would it be ok or still too OP ? (assuming its OP)

Inconnunom

Explorer
I guess I'm the only one who actually likes it ;)

2d6 HP? I don't mind at all. And I don't think it makes the ranger super tanky or anything. There are several factors to being a tanky PC: damage threshold (hp), how hard you are to hit (AC) and damage absorption resistance). So while the ranger can have as many HP as the barbarian, he or she isn't nearly as tanky because the ranger only has the first part. The barbarian gets bonuses to AC and damage resistance. Remember, the ranger is limited to light armor only

level dipping? Remember, multi-classing is an optional rule. If you play with that rule, you have complete control to prevent everyone from level dipping into ranger.

Ambuscade is nice, but it's essentially just a bonus attack roll that goes first. It doesn't by itself grant surprise or advantage. And it's essentially only once per encounter.

I like it too! :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads