• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Another New Ranger Variant

*Deleted by user*

Sure but you could do that with any multiclassing that grants multiple attacks, or any feat that grants a bonus action attack, etc.. You still need to gain the surprise, which is the hard part.

The multiattack matters less because you can sneak attack only once per TURN. This is what makes Ambuscade different than Action Surge. Action Surge grants an extra action on your turn. While this gives you a back up chance to land a sneak attack if you flub your first one, you can still only get one SA. Abuscade grants a "Special Turn" that allows for an extra sneak attack. Its wording that should be cleaned up IMO.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
There's nothing to indicate the Attack action during the Ambuscade round doesn't comes with all the extra attacks

What does that have to do with what you quoted? Sure, you get an attack action with all the things that come with an attack action. What does that have to do with you still needing to gain surprise to use that auto-crit of the assassin, which is what I was replying to and the thing you quoted?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
The multiattack matters less because you can sneak attack only once per TURN. This is what makes Ambuscade different than Action Surge. Action Surge grants an extra action on your turn. While this gives you a back up chance to land a sneak attack if you flub your first one, you can still only get one SA. Abuscade grants a "Special Turn" that allows for an extra sneak attack. Its wording that should be cleaned up IMO.

Which...has nothing to do with the assassination thing I was responding to.

You're the second person that seems to want to say something, and who quotes me to say that thing, even though they don't seem to be replying to the thing they are quoting. Did I say something that seemed highly generic in that quote or something? Was it unclear I was responding about assassinations?

I've passed it on to my beastmaster player, if he wants to retcon his character I'm happy to give it a test. I'm not sure he'll go for it though - having a companion and spells are the two things he likes most about the class.

I guess I'm the only one who actually likes it ;)

It's a good start, but needs polishing IMO.

Ambuscade is nice, but it's essentially just a bonus attack roll that goes first. It doesn't by itself grant surprise or advantage. And it's essentially only once per encounter.

It's an extra "Attack Action", so if you have multiple attacks, you get to make all those as well. Meaning at 5th level, they attack 4 times on the first round of *every single fight*. Like I said, its essentially action surge when you roll init, and will really help trivialize easy encounters.

I'm not sure how dual wielding works. It says you get a "special turn" before everyone acts, but the only action you can take is Attack or Hide. Can you get an offhand attack on this special turn? Dual wielding accompanies the attack action with a bonus action. It's a bit unclear, and kind of odd to penalize DW rangers. Does that mean you have a reaction between this special turn and the turn you take as normal at the initiative order you rolled?

Sage Genesis

First Post
Two strong saves, something which no other class gets.

The ability to control a creature while unconscious... even though that creature ceases to exist while unconscious. (It breaks concentration.)

Primeval Awareness requires you to spend ranger spell slots. This version of the Ranger doesn't have any spell slots. They quite literally gain a class ability that they cannot use.

This is simply poorly written. Regardless of whether I like the flavor or 2d6 hit dice, this is undercooked even for an UA article. A spell slot ability for a class that doesn't cast spells? Controlling something while unconscious even though it won't be there anymore? Come on guys. Little bit more proofreading next time please.

jrowland

First Post
Which...has nothing to do with the assassination thing I was responding to.

You're the second person that seems to want to say something, and who quotes me to say that thing, even though they don't seem to be replying to the thing they are quoting. Did I say something that seemed highly generic in that quote or something? Was it unclear I was responding about assassinations?

But you need Dex and Wis 13 to multi-class into Ranger!

(don't hate, I'm just playin'!)

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
This kinda proves to me that there aren't any true ranger fans on the design team now if were any.

The PHB ranger and both UA rangers display a lack of zeal and attempts to make a ranger based on what one is "told" and not replicating the images in ones head after roleplaying a ranger from their own back story and transcribing the mentality of their ranger experience from it inception and throughout its growth.

Ristamar

Adventurer
What does that have to do with what you quoted? Sure, you get an attack action with all the things that come with an attack action. What does that have to do with you still needing to gain surprise to use that auto-crit of the assassin, which is what I was replying to and the thing you quoted?

Surprise isn't necessarily hard to achieve, but YMMV depending on the DM.

Regardless, it goes back to your original statement about Ambuscade not combo'ing with the assassin. I'm arguing that it's a fantastic, potentially game breaking combo.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads