Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana August: Races of Ravnica

I don't know modern MtG or Ravnica other then what we have been talking about on here and at D&D the last few weeks...but quick look I like this. Vedalken sound like I could totally play the blue elves like 'mystic elf' and 'magician of black chaos' from yugioh. I think I really like the race even if I never heard of it before.

I don't know modern MtG or Ravnica other then what we have been talking about on here and at D&D the last few weeks...but quick look I like this.

Vedalken sound like I could totally play the blue elves like 'mystic elf' and 'magician of black chaos' from yugioh. I think I really like the race even if I never heard of it before.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Loxodon's are specifically called out as having a prehensile trunk that can carry heavy loads and due fine manipulative work - but there's nothing about it in the feature breakdown.

I don't know about the world, so I'm lacking context for some of the races like the Simic Hybrid, but even in that vacuum the Vedalkin look quite interesting from an RP stance.

Kite474

Explorer
Loxodon's are specifically called out as having a prehensile trunk that can carry heavy loads and due fine manipulative work - but there's nothing about it in the feature breakdown.

I don't know about the world, so I'm lacking context for some of the races like the Simic Hybrid, but even in that vacuum the Vedalkin look quite interesting from an RP stance.

The Simic are Ravnica's prime medical care experts... They also tend to have ideas on how to make things.... better

So alot of their members are mutant hybrids in an effort to be the biologically perfect lifeform.

Because everything could use more crab!

OB1

Jedi Master
I think Loxodon might be the perfect race for the Drunken Master Monk I’ve been itching to play. And the symic would be a good fit for the Horizon Walker bounty hunter I’m eying for another campaign.

ChameleonX

Explorer
Loxodons seem too powerful at first glance. Or, perhaps, the other races seem too weak by comparison. The Simic hybrid is interesting, but I'd like a few more choices of mutations. Viashino is cool, in theory, but obviously inferior to the published lizard folk.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Yeah, when I was reading the lore on the Viashino I was getting pretty excited... the actual implementation of the race was extremely disappointing.

plisnithus8

Adventurer
If I were to play a Loxodon., and I’d like to, I sure would want to attack as an elephant would using my tusks to pierce, my legs to trample, and my trunk to grapple.
Unfortunately, this design gives me absolutely none of that.

Loxodons seem too powerful at first glance. Or, perhaps, the other races seem too weak by comparison. The Simic hybrid is interesting, but I'd like a few more choices of mutations. Viashino is cool, in theory, but obviously inferior to the published lizard folk.

I don't think Loxodons seem too powerful. Free Mage Armor is nice, but most characters will outclass it. Remember, it doesn't stack with anything except a shield. Advantage on fear saves is pretty meh. Advantage on scent based skill checks is going to be really hit and miss to the extent that it's as powerful as the DM decides it will be. Truly, the only thing the race really does well is Druid.

Simic Hybrid is interesting, although I agree with others that it'd be nice to have a few more selections. Grappling Appendages is weird, though. How many attacks do you get?

Viashino's Lashing Tail, on the other hand, seem amazing to me. Sure, it only deals non-magical dagger damage, but so what? A raging Barbarian certainly isn't going to care, and you'll get to deal bonus Rage damage with it and still have resistance. If you're a Rogue, it's a way to deal Sneak Attack damage an extra time each round!

Vedalken seem good. They're at least as good at being a Wizard as a Gnome.

gyor

Legend

Basically a magical transhumanist biologist/medical guild, they are who you go to primarily for healthcare and medical supplies and pet creatures including Zepplids, which are like reptilian living blimps used for flying public transportation.

One of their goals is increasing the planets biodiversity, by creating new species via various means. I think they do some secondary magical research as well and control access to the Oceans, via Zonots which are giant holes in the ground that lead to the otherwise covered Oceans.

As for Hybrids, I love that they can have set of tentacles, we can now play Hentai Tentacle monsters. Simic Combine even sounds like a Japanese Megacorp.

Oh and the Simic have some kind of alliance/connection with Fairies which is not well explained.

Last edited by a moderator:

flametitan

Explorer
Some of these races have some neat lore behind them, but mechanically, only the Viashino and Simic Hybrid feel inspired (and the viashino loosely).

There aren't any ability a Loxodon gets that's really unique to it. I can name a race for every trait it has (except keen smell, to which I'd point you at the mastiff)
The Hybrid's build-a-race approach is strange, but in a way gives it a sense of being a mishmash of parts, which matches the lore.
Vedalken? Their abilities are strong, but kinda boring. Like, it's advantage on half your saving throws, and +1d4 on one skill. They're mechanically sound, but there's nothing that really makes you feel, "I could only do this because I'm Vedalken
Viashino have a cool tail lash ability, though it feels a like it could use more. Playtesting required.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads