Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana August: Races of Ravnica

I don't know modern MtG or Ravnica other then what we have been talking about on here and at D&D the last few weeks...but quick look I like this.

Vedalken sound like I could totally play the blue elves like 'mystic elf' and 'magician of black chaos' from yugioh. I think I really like the race even if I never heard of it before.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I believe the Simbic Hybid manta glide ability needs some sort of speed limit. For example an eagle totem barbarian could use thier level 14 ability to move 40' straight up. Then, RAW, they would instantly fall 40' at the end of thier turn. With manta glide this would give them an extra 80' horizontal movement.

I dunno, sounds like it is working as designed.

It's not a matter of "crossing a gap". It's a matter of being able to move in combat many times faster than is normally possible. And I gave the level 14 ability as a simple example. Much greater speeds are possible by casting Fly at level 5 then cancelling it.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It's not a matter of "crossing a gap". It's a matter of being able to move in combat many times faster than is normally possible. And I gave the level 14 ability as a simple example. Much greater speeds are possible by casting Fly at level 5 then cancelling it.

But again, these seem to be the point of the ability: to provide a unique and potent form of locmotion. The climb speed one seems much more ride for cheese, honestly.

I've just checked the optional falling rules in Xanthar's Guide. You could potentially use the ability to move 1000 feet horizonally in one round if you had some way of arresting your fall, or 200 feet otherwise. That's not so much potent, more like faster than a speeding bullet!

QuietBrowser

First Post
Tieflings, Genasi, and Aasimar appeared in FR, books prior to 4e, they where in FRs main core book, so even by people with no interest they unlikely to be unknown. In 4e and 5e they become even more important in FR, in some locations they would be more common then elves, halflings, and dwarves.
In fact, the Genasi are so iconic to the 3e Realms that they received their only statblocks in the 3e Forgotten Realms splatbooks, unlike tieflings and aasimar, who first appeared in the 3e Monster Manual 1.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
In fact, the Genasi are so iconic to the 3e Realms that they received their only statblocks in the 3e Forgotten Realms splatbooks, unlike tieflings and aasimar, who first appeared in the 3e Monster Manual 1.
That's probably less to do with them being iconic to the realms and more to do with them being introduced to 3e in the FR, it makes sense that that is where they had a stat block whereas aasimar and tieflings had theirs already so no need to reprint in the FR MM.

gyor

Legend
Thinking about I think the Simic Hybrid is slightly under powered, it needs more options and the ability to chose one at levels 1, 3, and 5. As comparison The Tabaxi has Darkvision and Climb speed inheriantly, claws (it's own attack ability) and some other major stuff. The Simic gets two things and darkvision and it knows Elvish, that is it.

That's probably less to do with them being iconic to the realms and more to do with them being introduced to 3e in the FR, it makes sense that that is where they had a stat block whereas aasimar and tieflings had theirs already so no need to reprint in the FR MM.

Idk man, FR officially came out in 2e and since then, the 3e, 4e, and 5e base FR books were all home to the genasi rules. 3 out 4 core rules seems like a pretty strong correlation.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I've just checked the optional falling rules in Xanthar's Guide. You could potentially use the ability to move 1000 feet horizonally in one round if you had some way of arresting your fall, or 200 feet otherwise. That's not so much potent, more like faster than a speeding bullet!

To become Spider-Man? I mean, it is super cool and has uses, particularly in an Ecumenopolitan setting, but isn't overwhelming. Aarocka can straight up fly.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases