Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Cleric, Druid, Wizard Options

In another new Unearthed Arcana (these things are coming out fast right now!) the cleric receives a new Divine Domain option: the Twilight Domain; the druid gains a new Druid Circle option: the Circle of Wildfire; and the wizard gains a new Arcane Tradition feature: Onomancy, the magic of true names.

In another new Unearthed Arcana (these things are coming out fast right now!) the cleric receives a new Divine Domain option: the Twilight Domain; the druid gains a new Druid Circle option: the Circle of Wildfire; and the wizard gains a new Arcane Tradition feature: Onomancy, the magic of true names.

safe_image.php.jpg

gyor

Legend
  • Barbarian: Path of the Wild Soul.
  • Monk: Way of the Astral Self.
  • Sorcerer: the Aberrant Mind.
  • Warlock: Lurker in the Deep.
  • Bard: College of Eloquence.
  • Paladin: Oath of Heroism.
  • Cleric: Twilight Domain.
  • Druid: Circle of Wildfire.
  • Wizard: Onomancy.

...Not really anything that connects these together. If I had to tie these to a setting book, I'd say it's a Magic book detailing several planes, or it is just Planescape reimagined.

Some of us are speculating that they are for a book of smaller MtG settings.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Don't forget the Archivist Artificer, which Crawford let slip is part of this same fold during one of the Beyond videos (the one about Mind Sliver).

I think Xanatathar's II: The Classening or some big wild Setting book like you describe seem to be the prime candidates.

Still can't shake the feeling that these options fit a Magic style universe.

To me the likeliest thing would be Xanathar's II, except Mearls kept saying "Naw that's far off." Could be they changed their minds or said it to throw off the scent or something.

Planescape I think totally works for these. You can see the Feywild, Far Realm, Elemental Planes and Fiendish/Heavenly influences.

Multiple Magic Planes also works. Likeliest combo to me fits pretty well with the year's release schedule; Eldraine, Theros, Zendikar.

At this point though I've got no idea what the truth is.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
To me the likeliest thing would be Xanathar's II, except Mearls kept saying "Naw that's far off." Could be they changed their minds or said it to throw off the scent or something.

Planescape I think totally works for these. You can see the Feywild, Far Realm, Elemental Planes and Fiendish/Heavenly influences.

Multiple Magic Planes also works. Likeliest combo to me fits pretty well with the year's release schedule; Eldraine, Theros, Zendikar.

Same here, they could go a lot of different ways still. What is clear is that they wanted to try out at least one Subclass of all 13 Classes in the game, we'll see if they do more.

Wizards have been masters of lowkey trolling.

I remember True Name magic from the 3e Tome of Magic being the strongest example of why you shouldn't have a Skill-Roll based system for magic in the D20 system. Which was unfortunate because it had some interesting concepts.

The ideas of True Names being tied to the Primeval Language and things such as the Last Word that Orcus used when he was Teneborous. The 4e Invoker sort of drew some concepts from an ancient language of magic too. True Names tie into the concept of sympathetic magic where having something of someone allows one to have power over it, such as the idea of the Voodoo Doll.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)

Why not both? Planescape seems like the perfect vehicle for WotC to tie their two biggest IPs together in a mutually lore-friendly way.

Remove ads

Remove ads