Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana Gives You Subclasses For Monk, Ranger, and Paladin

The paladin unarmored ability is pretty amusing for a druid paladin multiclass. Overall I like the flavor and ability of all three sub classes.

The paladin unarmored ability is pretty amusing for a druid paladin multiclass. Overall I like the flavor and ability of all three sub classes.

mellored

Legend
Warrior of Reconciliation: Oh, okay, there it is. The tacit acknowledgement that you can't reliably have a D&D character without violence. You don't sway minds and hearts, you beat the hell out of them until they submit. Also, it lasts for 1 minute and then they can come back at you, so it's not even like you tossed out your ethos for something actually good.
It last for 1 minute, and then they fall unconscious.

It last for 1 minute, and then they fall unconscious.

They only fall unconscious if they are at 0 HP when the minute ends. And the ability only triggers when the paladin reduces the creature to 0 HP to begin with.

As for the Oath of Redemption in general, theis is finally something for all those DMs who like to play the monster races in a way where not all members are inherently evil. Now their players can have a way to show those orcs or bugbears the errors of their ways.

Xeviat

Hero
Oath of Redemption is the first time i wanted to play a class based on fluff...

I wouldn't say first for me, but it's definitely a contender for a character I'd like to play. I like that it speaks to an identity and makes you think of a character right away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Drunken master just kind of seems to do something you could already describe your open hand monk as doing. I mean sure it has new mechanics to do it... but it's not filling a need.

The way of redemption is interesting, but ultimately it doesn't seem to mesh with an adventuring paladin well, and the archetype (guy in robes convincing people to better themselves) would seem to be better suited to a cleric. And once again: it's kind of a bunch of interesting mechanics that don't mesh with the concept.

Finally I agree with others: I like the idea of playing the clever monster hunter who's prepared for the monster's tricks... but just automatically telling me the monster's tricks and then letting me defeat them is boring and makes no sense. From the point of a DM: Now I can't have monsters with interesting resistances, gotchas or hard to discover vulnerabilities OR have monsters that escape to fight again. Fun for me. Woo.

In short: some cool ideas, but I think that the bad part of 4e is leaking through (and in other places - like the races in Volos). I'm seeing a lot of "Here is a cool mechanical effect. Now we give it a vaguely suggestive name... and done. No narrative or explanation needed."

In the unofficial system of paladin alignments, oath of redemption seems like the NG oath, so I guess oath of ancients was the CG one after all. Still need a CN oath--oath of glory?

G

Guest 6801328

Or both! They would multiclass mix not half bad!

Sent from my LG-D852 using EN World mobile app

Yeah I started thinking the same thing.

But...after thinking about it more I'm not sure I'd want to go that route. Maybe one monk level just so that your quarterstaff would be badass.

I guess from an RP perspective I'd just go approximately even levels.

P.S. From the text "Redemption" is evidently supposed to refer to your belief that others can be redeemed, but I'd want to play it that my character is also trying to find redemption for something terrible he did, the guilt of which haunts him. So he finds solace in the bottle...

Remove ads

Remove ads