Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana Gives You Subclasses For Monk, Ranger, and Paladin

Barolo

First Post
(...)

Drunken Master: I find it weird how there's no requirement to actually drink. You'd think they'd give them proficiency with brewer's tools or something, but instead they get perform. Is there really a subset of people who want to play a drunken master who doesn't actually drink?

About this, I think the idea to base a fighting style on the martial artist actually drinking is silly. It seems to me the popular trope of the "drunken" style comes from the martial artist mastering the use of sudden and seemingly out-of-balance movements, similar to how drunk people move around, in order to deceive the opponent, luring them to believe the "drunken" martial artist is less dangerous, and also surprising them by the unexpected, apparently random pattern of the moves. They pretend they are drunk, as being really drunk would be detrimental to fighting, hence the perform proficiency. It would be nonetheless useful to actually carry around some booze, and to taint one's clothes with it, to improve the performance.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Ignoring the pacificism(but not, because you still hit things, just not lethally) vibe of the redeemer, it makes a great "my faith guides my hand" Paladin. I really like the armor feature, and the spell list.

Drunk-Monk is fun. Both conceptually and mechanically. The mechanics seem to represent the concept really well. Tipsy Sway shouldn't be 1/SR. it already uses a reaction, if it needs a greater cost/restriction, making it cost 1 ki.

Slayer Ranger is fine.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Right now, you can't multiclass into UA content, but that could change in the future.

I see several people saying this but I must have missed it somewhere. Can you let me know where this rule comes from?

Thanks.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Also, i think the point, quite correctly, of the redeemer having a Dex armor trait and a weapon trait that has no finesse options is that a redeemer can't just ignore strength to boost the heck out of its AC. That is good design working as intended, not a contradiction.

Barolo

First Post
Also, i think the point, quite correctly, of the redeemer having a Dex armor trait and a weapon trait that has no finesse options is that a redeemer can't just ignore strength to boost the heck out of its AC. That is good design working as intended, not a contradiction.

The same way as barbarians and the late immortal mystic.

G

Guest 6801328

Wrong.
The text from the Magic Initiate feat:
Choose a class: bard, cleric, druid, sorcerer, warlock, or wizard. You learn two cantrips of your choice from that class’s spell list.
In addition, choose one 1st-level spell from that same list. You learn that spell and can cast it at its lowest level. Once you cast it, you must finish a long rest before
you can cast it again.
Your spellcasting ability for these spells depends on the class you chose: Charisma for bard, sorcerer, or warlock; Wisdom for cleric or druid: or Intelligence for wizard.

Oh oh oh....interesting. Yes, you're right, that would seem to supercede the description from Shillelagh.

I see several people saying this but I must have missed it somewhere. Can you let me know where this rule comes from?
I think they are misreading: "As is typical in Unearthed Arcana, the options here haven’t been tuned for multiclassing".

It doesn't say you can't multiclass into UA options.

The Human Target

Adventurer
About this, I think the idea to base a fighting style on the martial artist actually drinking is silly. It seems to me the popular trope of the "drunken" style comes from the martial artist mastering the use of sudden and seemingly out-of-balance movements, similar to how drunk people move around, in order to deceive the opponent, luring them to believe the "drunken" martial artist is less dangerous, and also surprising them by the unexpected, apparently random pattern of the moves. They pretend they are drunk, as being really drunk would be detrimental to fighting, hence the perform proficiency. It would be nonetheless useful to actually carry around some booze, and to taint one's clothes with it, to improve the performance.

In real life, sure.

In real life people intoning nonsense words and waving their hands about aren't actually casting spells.

But in the game they are, because it's a fantasy game.

Why not embrace the fantasy?

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
In real life, sure.

In real life people intoning nonsense words and waving their hands about aren't actually casting spells.

But in the game they are, because it's a fantasy game.

Why not embrace the fantasy?

Because alcoholism is good clean fun, amiright? :D

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases